Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just joined the site.
I purchased a Mazda Atenza 20C 2006 and am now going through a lot of fuel, to an extent I don’t think is normal.
I typically get around 160km from 22l before the fuel light comes on. Car has a 2l engine which I didn’t expect to go through this much fuel as others have said they get much better fuel usage.
Might be worth noting that the spark plugs were replaced several months ago.
Does anyone else with a similar car get this usage or does something sound wrong?
Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Might also be worth mentioning that the car seems to jerk when passing 2000 rpm, especially when accelerating at the lights and then returns to normal.

·
Rally Racer
2,056 Posts
Hi guys, just joined the site.
I purchased a Mazda Atenza 20C 2006 and am now going through a lot of fuel, to an extent I don’t think is normal.
I typically get around 160km from 22l before the fuel light comes on. Car has a 2l engine which I didn’t expect to go through this much fuel as others have said they get much better fuel usage.
Might be worth noting that the spark plugs were replaced several months ago.
Does anyone else with a similar car get this usage or does something sound wrong?
Cheers
I almost get the same mileage with my v6 automatic driving all city.
Is it possible that the ignition coils are not healthy? We seem to loose the coils on our v6 engines after about 120,000km. This leads to an ignition mis-fire and eventual exhaust clogging. Both situations would drop mileage.
I would check air cleaner, parking brake dragging, fuel injectors and possibly automatic coupling "lock-up" if it is an automatic.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I almost get the same mileage with my v6 automatic driving all city.
Is it possible that the ignition coils are not healthy? We seem to loose the coils on our v6 engines after about 120,000km. This leads to an ignition mis-fire and eventual exhaust clogging. Both situations would drop mileage.
I would check air cleaner, parking brake dragging, fuel injectors and possibly automatic coupling "lock-up" if it is an automatic.
Good luck.
Thanks for the reply mate.
I am doing a bit of start stop driving, lots of traffic lights and almost never driving for more than 30 minutes.The car has only done 70,000km, I have already replaced one ignition coil that was causing the car to misfire/vibrate, which did fix it. Should I do the others too or would it seem too early for that?
Might get some fuel injection cleaner tomorrow, maybe that’ll help.
Cheers

·
Registered
479 Posts
Any check engine light?
Try the fuel injector cleaner.
The stumbling you mention at 2000rpm could indicate more worn ignition coils or possibly a bad injector.

·
Rally Racer
2,056 Posts
Thanks for the reply mate.
I am doing a bit of start stop driving, lots of traffic lights and almost never driving for more than 30 minutes.The car has only done 70,000km, I have already replaced one ignition coil that was causing the car to misfire/vibrate, which did fix it. Should I do the others too or would it seem too early for that?
Might get some fuel injection cleaner tomorrow, maybe that’ll help.
Cheers
Sure, no problem. I am of the impression that if one of the coils is failing then the others are not far behind. My Mazda did not report misfires with an engine light even when they were obvious .I would do the other 3 with the same brand if possible.
Stop/Start is the killer for gas mileage. I am under the same conditions as you and the v6 is delivering 6.5km/L
If you can get the speed up for a bit it can help remove carbon and raise efficiency. I try for once a week.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sure, no problem. I am of the impression that if one of the coils is failing then the others are not far behind. My Mazda did not report misfires with an engine light even when they were obvious .I would do the other 3 with the same brand if possible.
Stop/Start is the killer for gas mileage. I am under the same conditions as you and the v6 is delivering 6.5km/L
If you can get the speed up for a bit it can help remove carbon and raise efficiency. I try for once a week.
Agree. Also, i always recommend changing spark plugs while the ignition coils are out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any check engine light?
Try the fuel injector cleaner.
The stumbling you mention at 2000rpm could indicate more worn ignition coils or possibly a bad injector.
No engine light. Just put some injector cleaner in so I'll see how it goes. Once the car warmed up while I was driving today I noticed that it isn't jerking once I hit 2000rpm, seems as if it only happens when it's cold.
Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The coil had to be replaced as water had got under the rubber seal, which I believe was caused when the last owner "washed the engine with a hose" (according to my mechanic). I'll continue to monitor how it runs this week as I have used some injector cleaner, if it's still bad I'll change the coils.

Cheers for your help again.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The coil had to be replaced as water had got under the rubber seal, which I believe was caused when the last owner "washed the engine with a hose" (according to my mechanic). I'll continue to monitor how it runs this week as I have used some injector cleaner, if it's still bad I'll change the coils.

Cheers for your help again.
All the symptoms you have specified indicate toward one or more faulty ignition coil and/or fuel injectors.

No misfire code DOES NOT confirm that these indicated parts are functioning as they should.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update if anyone is interested.

I used a bottle of fuel injection cleaner, ran the car to empty and just topped my car up again today with 22l of fuel. Normally this would fill my car up to the halfway point but I've noticed that this time the fuel indicator is 1/3rd of the way.

I believe the fuel tank is about 68 liters so this seems to be more accurate...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts