Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!
I purchased my first car about two months ago, it's a 2006 Mazda 6 diesel with 89 kw and a manual 6-speed gearbox.
Now, I've been into cars since the early ages of my life, but I had never encountered this kind of issue before. The car runs just great, mechanically it's on top notch level, but - I noticed it consumes too much fuel in 6th gear (that is, when on the highway, travelling at about 130/140 km/h). I can't make the display above the radio to show the current, nor average fuel consumption, but I'm more than sure it's acting the opposite of what it should in the 6th gear, since its primary task is economic driving.
Please, anybody. Got a clue?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Those fuel consumption guages are notoriously inaccurate. Try to do few "full tank to full tank" calculations on paper and see what the mileage is.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Traveling over 100km/h is going to cut into fuel mileage and averaging 130-140 is really gonna bite into it. You are asking a small 4cyl to do the work of a more powerful engine. My 3.0V6 cruises all day long at 120km/h at pretty much optimum efficiency. You are operating that diesel out of the range of efficiency.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I was referring to km/h, buddy. You misunderstood me.

@MilR: Thanks for the advice, I'l try it out.

Actually, all I did was reverse the K and M by mistake so I edited that and I understood you were referring to KM/H. In fact, I am in Canada and that is what they use here so I am quite used to KM/H.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts