Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to install a high flow catylitic converter welded to some custom piping to replace my mid pipe (part of a combo with a header)...I looked up the stock exhaust scematics for the 6i and saw that the Catalytic converter, a 3way cat w/o air, has one of the two O2 sensors located in the middle of the Cat. should I buy a high flow cat, will it make a difference if I buy a cat with the sensor in the middle or without sensors and have the O2 sensors moved to either side of the cat. I found that magnaflow makes Cat converters with an O2 sensor in the middle, but my exhaust shop sells catalytic converters right there, and I wouldn't even need to worry about ordering one...facts, opinions (useful ones), suggestions? Appreciate any help, thankyou.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
just go with the one from the shop and put the bung after the cat, just make sure you have enough slack for the O2 to reach.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just go with the one from the shop and put the bung after the cat, just make sure you have enough slack for the O2 to reach.[/b]
thank god...I thought nobody was going to reply, this is the second post that went completely ignored (don't know whats up with that...). alright, so I shouldn't be worried that I'm compromising flow for practicality?...like the magnaflow cat isn't going to be better than the generic (I assume) "high flow" cat from the shop?....shouldn't throw a CEL for moving the sensor right?...thanks alot.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
thank god...I thought nobody was going to reply, this is the second post that went completely ignored (don't know whats up with that...).[/b]
Bro, don't sweat ppl not answering your threads... Most of the time we (me for one) don't have any input so we can't help. Not that we don't want to, but we just can't. LOL... MrTea and the other, ''Guru's'' got your back so be patient...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bro, don't sweat ppl not answering your threads... Most of the time we (me for one) don't have any input so we can't help. Not that we don't want to, but we just can't. LOL... MrTea and the other, ''Guru's'' got your back so be patient...[/b]
naw, its not just the patience thing, I was just worried I pissed people off...some people here can be kinda high and mighty, or anal retentive, but your thanks for your post.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
thank god...I thought nobody was going to reply, this is the second post that went completely ignored (don't know whats up with that...). alright, so I shouldn't be worried that I'm compromising flow for practicality?...like the magnaflow cat isn't going to be better than the generic (I assume) "high flow" cat from the shop?....shouldn't throw a CEL for moving the sensor right?...thanks alot.[/b]

hey man. i got a magna flow hi-flow cat (90 bucks i think). neways jus wanted to let u know i didnt throw a CEL. and im assuming after throwing in a header it will be a good mod to have done.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
it was only 4 hours really, that's not too long??

imagine how long i'd wait if i asked the questions that i come into!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was only 4 hours really, that's not too long??

imagine how long i'd wait if i asked the questions that i come into![/b]
No, I know thats not too long...I was just getting nervous cause I had a simple question on another thread that hasn't seen any activity for at least a few days...(which is probably not too long to you either...what happens when the guy...who has all the answers...has a question?...)...whatever, your right, stupid of me, but thanks to all for your input on this post, any further information will be appreciated as well, thanks alot guys.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
...answered the other thread for ya too! :p

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
...answered the other thread for ya too! :p[/b]
Hate to be on your nuts MrTea, but I wished you were my neighbor. Maybe I could get a few things finally done!!!

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Hate to be on your nuts MrTea, but I wished you were my neighbor. Maybe I could get a few things finally done!!![/b]
whatcha need? i have a day off tomorrow, so i can try to answer whatever you need

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
whatcha need? i have a day off tomorrow, so i can try to answer whatever you need[/b]
It's not even worth takin' ur free time. Just a lil' electrical NEWB stuff so... If you really want to help I'll call you tomorrow so you can walk me through it, but I guarantee you'll get fustrated. By the way, it's the brake light mod, oem fogs, lighted sills and side markers to signal lights mod. Yup, read up on all of em' and I'm lost cuz of my lack of knowledge with wires. If no, I understand...

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i've done everything but the sills, and i think i did everything via a walkthrough here or on 6tech. the hardest part for the wiring is i can't go out and look at the car for refference as i don't have a car currently. if you really want the help though, i can try....i think i've posted my # on around a few times now, i don't mind the call from time to time.

·
Registered
922 Posts
no cats FTW!!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
good luck with the magnaflow cat heh.. i hope it doesnt die on you like it did for all the v6 cp-e headers buyers out their.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i really don't think there is going to be a noticable gain on the 2.3 going from high flow to no cat. we're talking like 2hp if anything....if you can afford it, put it on. that's my thoughts on it, makes chances of passing emissions a bit easier for those thinking about it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i really don't think there is going to be a noticable gain on the 2.3 going from high flow to no cat. we're talking like 2hp if anything....if you can afford it, put it on. that's my thoughts on it, makes chances of passing emissions a bit easier for those thinking about it.[/b]
yeah, all right, but what your saying is magnaflow h.f. cat vs. muffler shop h.f. cat wouldn't mean I got much less power out of one than the other right?...just waiting for the headers to come in, and everything goes on...by the way, should I consider a flex pipe?...(special order parts take FOREVER, sure you know all about that.)

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
first of all, what header to did you go with? i'm guessing GTspec? some headers will have a means for transition with the header, so it would come with a flex or ball joint (not the right word for it). but you will need one or the other...so if one isn't coming with the header, then order one and use it. either design will be fine, and you can get flex pipes all over the place, no special needed there.

and just get a high flow, don't worry about the company as long as you trust it/your shop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.