Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i have 2009 Mazda 6 with hid and my high beam are not working i have afs and bulbs light up but not when i put them on high only thing i can notice that my left side hid is lot brighter when i turn high beam but no change in right hid am puzzled checked fuses and they are ok is there anything else i can check?

·
Rally Racer
2,657 Posts
hello i have 2009 Mazda 6 with hid and my high beam are not working i have afs and bulbs light up but not when i put them on high only thing i can notice that my left side hid is lot brighter when i turn high beam but no change in right hid am puzzled checked fuses and they are ok is there anything else i can check?

The vehicle is in motion when you are attempting to turn the high beams on correct?
Don't the high beams only illuminate when traveling faster than 12 mph?
Did you lower the vehicle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried in motion,stationary everything no high beam halogen bulbs wont switch on unless i turn thats why am confused

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it possible the bulb for the high beam is burnt out?
It's actually one bulb for both hi and low beam. Replaced the bulb already and that's not the problem. Checked a few fuses and everything is good. Unless I checked the wrong ones lol. Really want to avoid the dealer route but it looks like that's the only thing left. It doesn't bother me that it doesn't work but I need it to pass state inspection to receive my tags.

·
Super Moderator
17,297 Posts
It's possible it's your relay not working. According to the wiring diagram, there's a separate relay for Hi and Lo beams (H/L HI). I haven't done this stuff in a while but, unless they've changed, relays will make a click noise when activated because they're physical switches for electricity. If you're hitting your HIs and don't hear the click, it's likely the relay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's possible it's your relay not working. According to the wiring diagram, there's a separate relay for Hi and Lo beams (H/L HI). I haven't done this stuff in a while but, unless they've changed, relays will make a click noise when activated because they're physical switches for electricity. If you're hitting your HIs and don't hear the click, it's likely the relay.
Yes I've heard the click when I activate the hi's. I kinda ruled that out since it's one headlight and not both. I've also ruled out the ballast (they're the OEM HID's)since the low activates. I've been looking through the troubleshooting manual but nothing shows for the Hi beam. Might just be a deeper electrical issue??

·
Super Moderator
17,297 Posts
Oh Sorry, I misread your message. One bulb won't turn on at all. Are the DRLs coming on in that housing and it's just the bulb? If so, it's looking like it's your Discharge Headlight Control Module. Here's the wiring diagram :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh Sorry, I misread your message. One bulb won't turn on at all. Are the DRLs coming on in that housing and it's just the bulb? If so, it's looking like it's your Discharge Headlight Control Module. Here's the wiring diagram :)

View attachment 239888
Yes. That's what I refer to as the ballast😅or am I incorrect with that term. I see what your saying but if you noticed it says hi/low which means if the low doesn't function the hi won't either correct? My lows do. I will put a link into the troubleshooting manual I am using.

There are some parts I skipped due to me not knowing how I should check the electrical connectors, etc. I have the tools required but lack the knowledge to use them.

·
Super Moderator
17,297 Posts
Yes. That's what I refer to as the ballast😅or am I incorrect with that term. I see what your saying but if you noticed it says hi/low which means if the low doesn't function the hi won't either correct? My lows do. I will put a link into the troubleshooting manual I am using.

There are some parts I skipped due to me not knowing how I should check the electrical connectors, etc. I have the tools required but lack the knowledge to use them.
Not necessarily. If it's only the high beam and only on one side, then it's looking like the high beam solenoid is your issue. That being said, I don't know if that's an individually serviceable part (doubt it). In the event that it's not and Mazda wants an arm and a leg for the whole headlight, I'd suggest looking around eBay for one - I was able to get a full GT headlight replacement, after mine got smashed by a falling tree branch, for like $180 - but I was also extremely lucky as they typically go for $500 - 800.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not necessarily. If it's only the high beam and only on one side, then it's looking like the high beam solenoid is your issue. That being said, I don't know if that's an individually serviceable part (doubt it). In the event that it's not and Mazda wants an arm and a leg for the whole headlight, I'd suggest looking around eBay for one - I was able to get a full GT headlight replacement, after mine got smashed by a falling tree branch, for like $180 - but I was also extremely lucky as they typically go for $500 - 800.
Right I was thinking the solenoid based on your diagram provided. I did a quick search and couldn't get anything off of the solenoid itself. I'll have to go to the dealer then lol. Yea i heard they're an arm and a leg. Thanks for the input. I'll probably redo my inspection again. Maybe I missed something. Either way I'll provide an update here after I solve it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Right I was thinking the solenoid based on your diagram provided. I did a quick search and couldn't get anything off of the solenoid itself. I'll have to go to the dealer then lol. Yea i heard they're an arm and a leg. Thanks for the input. I'll probably redo my inspection again. Maybe I missed something. Either way I'll provide an update here after I solve it.
So the dealer called and it was the shutter in the headlight and was a mechanical issue and not electrical. I was hoping it was a connector because I know those are an arm and a leg. So new headlight is the answer. That's usually the way to solve anything related to these headlights anyways since they aren't really made to be serviced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts