Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Reading Topic: HIDs

Nope, at least not in the U.S. - and really, almost no cars in Mazda6 price range have HIDs as an option. It seems to be reserved mostly for $30k+ cars. My guess they'll be available on the 6 eventually, maybe even next year.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Any after market HID units? How bright are the stock headlights anyways...can someone post pics? I read somewhere that it was somewhat disappointing? Can anyone verify this?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

US, no...rest of the world, yes.

Aftermarket HID:s are available, there are several threads on that topic.

I think that about disappointing headlights could have been something I read in a test (before I got mine) and wrote in a thread in here.

Don't worry. It's not only sufficient. Low beam is among the best on the market.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

There have been alot of reports recently about HID lights not really helping the driver see any better than standard OEM low beams. It seems they are used now more a little more style than vision.

·
Registered
315 Posts

I'm not a fan of the "blue" light that HIDs give off. I think they make things look unnatural.
A really good reflector style words well. I would like to see higher wattage bulbs rather than HID's.

Tome

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I don't picked the HID:s, and I'm very pleased with the original, standard bulbs.

Only downside is one heck of a trouble exchanging them when they go dark on you.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Replying to Topic 'HIDs'

Originally posted by Absolut

There have been alot of reports recently about HID lights not really helping the driver see any better than standard OEM low beams.  It seems they are used now more a little more style than vision.  [/b]
i have no idea where you read that, but its a night and day visibility difference between HIDs and halogens. i have halogens on my accord, and HIDs on my 2k2 maxima, and i will never EVER go back to halogens, its night and day

i think the max is the only car under 25k that have HIDs standard

·
Registered
51 Posts
Replying to Topic 'HIDs'

Originally posted by ChoppaBoy

There have been alot of reports recently about HID lights not really helping the driver see any better than standard OEM low beams.  It seems they are used now more a little more style than vision.  [/b]
i have no idea where you read that, but its a night and day visibility difference between HIDs and halogens. i have halogens on my accord, and HIDs on my 2k2 maxima, and i will never EVER go back to halogens, its night and day

i think the max is the only car under 25k that have HIDs standard[/b][/quote]

Everybody is right and everybody is wrong.

The brightness of halogen is around 1300-1500 ANSI lumens

HID brightness is around 1000-3000 ANSI lumens

You've heard people useing K (kelvin) to describe HIDs. That's the color temperature of HID. 5000K is white/yellow, 6000K is white/blue, 7000K is purple, 8000K is blue. As the Ks goes up, lumens goes down. A 5000K HID can achieve as high as 3000 lumens but the same wattage 8000K will only have 1000-1200 lumens - which is worse than standard halogen. But you'll get that attention grabbing really blue color that you want.

So HID is brighter if you stick with 6000K and below bulbs.

They don't offer HID in Canada either. But I won't let the projector goes to waste with the halogen bulb. I'll get aftermarket kits. They are pretty reasonable these days, ranging from $300US - $500US for a pair.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Replying to Topic 'HIDs'

I thought that the 6 had Xenon gas instead of Halogen? Maybe I misread the information but I believed that the base model had standard Halogen but the sport pkg included upgraded Xenon lights. While not better than HID, Xenon is a step above Halogen from what I understand.
Good Luck,
Tim -SFOR14!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Replying to Topic 'HIDs'

For the most part, I think that you are right. However, one car that has them for under 25,000k which is surprising is the SVT ford focus. You can get the HID's as an option. Crazy right? They are pretty badass too.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replying to Topic 'HIDs'

Originally posted by Xtrema

Everybody is right and everybody is wrong.

The brightness of halogen is around 1300-1500 ANSI lumens

HID brightness is around 1000-3000 ANSI lumens

You've heard people useing K (kelvin) to describe HIDs. That's the color temperature of HID. 5000K is white/yellow, 6000K is white/blue, 7000K is purple, 8000K is blue. As the Ks goes up, lumens goes down. A 5000K HID can achieve as high as 3000 lumens but the same wattage 8000K will only have 1000-1200 lumens - which is worse than standard halogen. But you'll get that attention grabbing really blue color that you want.

So HID is brighter if you stick with 6000K and below bulbs.

They don't offer HID in Canada either. But I won't let the projector goes to waste with the halogen bulb. I'll get aftermarket kits. They are pretty reasonable these days, ranging from $300US - $500US for a pair.[/b][/quote]
I didnt know that the temperature determined colour not the brightness. What do you know...I learned something new today. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts

I'm a little disappointed in the 6s low beam lights. Not because they aren't bright but because the dispersement pattern is too focused forward and nothing out to the side. My 2000 Protoge wasn't perfect but it did allow me to see if anything was coming at me from the side of the road. On the positive side, if there is a moose already in my path on the road I'll see it much sooner!

·
Registered
315 Posts

That's another reason why I will add the second (lower) pair of foglights to my 6.
In my Eclipse the lower foglights add a nice brightness and width to the overall light.

Tome

·
Registered
514 Posts

Originally posted by cynder

I'm a little disappointed in the 6s low beam lights.  Not because they aren't bright but because the dispersement pattern is too focused forward and nothing out to the side. My 2000 Protoge wasn't perfect but it did allow me to see if anything was coming at me from the side of the road.  On the positive side, if there is a moose already in my path on the road I'll see it much sooner![/b]
Damn. Not what I wanted to hear :(

I also love the headlights on our '02 P5... excellent cutoff, control, and side dispersion.

-Alt

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: HIDs

I'd say so...

If you compare the 6 to most older cars and many newer cars, you'll find that it has substantially more light going out on the flanks.

But again, you better decide yourself... :)

·
Registered
44 Posts

If i may add something for those looking for better lighting from their 6
Get philips vision plus lamps
Your $32 wont get you any thing better! i just got a pair and THEY'RE AWESOME. they really work! suddenly driving in dark streets is much more comfortable

1 - 20 of 30 Posts