Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finding out there was no safe way to mount gauges on the A pillar, or around the instrument cluster, I decided to take on the task of building a pod to go in the center console. I thought that would be the safest place which would also deter theft.

After many cold weekends in the garage, the prototype is finally completed.

I give you: 'Hide-a-Pod' :)

http://www.santown.com/speed6/hideapod

At this time the pod is made from abs plastic, but I'll be fiberglassing one soon. I have mine setup for two gauges, but due to size it can fit up to 4 52mm gauges.

I'll post up more pics/info as the process rolls along.

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Wow, that looks like really nice work. I bet it took some time too. Good job.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
:bowdown:
I just want to know one thing...how much?

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Very nice Jason. Sweet idea!!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:bowdown:
I just want to know one thing...how much?
[/b]
Thanks guys :)

I'm not sure how much. I'm not a business looking to take you for all you've got and as of right now cost is minimal.

I guess once I get the fiberglass done I'll see how expensive it is.

What would you guys pay for something like this?

Jason

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should be on Unique Whips. Take REME's job. LOL Good work. When will you be selling the final product?

For those that know what Unique Whips is -> http://www.uniqueautosport.com/UAS.html
[/b]
:laugh: Some mighty fine cars there.

Hopefully Ill have a final product ready in a week or two. Ive been busy with work lately and havent had time to play around at home, but things should be more promising now.

Temps are up (mid 50s) so Ill be heading to the track tomorrow. Finished the pod, put the summer tires back on, and did the swap to full synthetic.

Waiting on some carbon fiber to get here to see how that would look.

Ill keep you guys posted.

Jason

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, that looks pretty good. Darn shame I've got NAV and will need to continue on the gauge pod quest.
[/b]
haha, I'll take your nav if you're terribly upset about not being able to have a gauge pod. :nana:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Someone actually put a boost gauge in the center air vent I believe. It looked really good. Not sure how it would affect the overall cilimate control system thogh....

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Yeah you definately have a great product on your hands, just focus and the fit and finish and make sure the quality is superb, because that is truly what it all boils down to....

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah you definately have a great product on your hands, just focus and the fit and finish and make sure the quality is superb, because that is truly what it all boils down to....
[/b]
Thats what I'm working on now. As you can see in the photos its a bit rough. Had someone at the track ask me where I bought it today :D:

Jason

·
Registered
102 Posts
First the BOV flange, and now the gauge "hide-a-pod"... you are a regular cottage industry for the MS6, Jason! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
[bump]

Any update, Jason?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not yet. My only real time to work on this is the weekends and I guess I'm just a bit over my head right now, but I'll see if I can get some work accomplished today.

Jason

·
Registered
76 Posts
the hide-a-pod is manually lifted/lowered? not automatic correct? <---dumb if it was already posted or on the website but didnt read it

kickass setup

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
31 Participants
untouchables
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing