Mazda 6 Forums banner

Hidden Stereo Button Options

223K views 84 replies 67 participants last post by  fakonnan 
#1 ·
Since I have not seen all of the hidden button combo's all in one consolidated post, and I have tried a few that I have not seen here yet and I think are for the bose systems, here is your consolidated list. (I have the non-bose so can't really test all of the functions, anyone want to hit it up and post so I can update this ;) )

The list below is pretty self-explanatory and easy to read and follow, but if you need help I am sure someone here or myself later on can make video's on how to press, "The Hidden Stereo Buttons".
(for you network admins out there, think of the windows 2000 login screen and the help button on there :slap: )

ALL ITALICS TEXT ARE QUOTES FROM THE TECH MANUAL

What is this hidden button option?
On your stock stereo, bose and non-bose, you can press different combinations of two certain buttons on the stereo to turn on or off functions, or test certain aspects of the stereo system.

Why should you care about some hidden options?
Aren't you annoyed when everytime you hit a button on the stereo it beeps at you? I know that it drives me to roadrage when I start scanning through stations or tracks to find a good song to listen to and all I hear is this "beep, beep, beep, beep, beep".

Is this a complete list of all the hidden options?
Nope, but you can be sure that once we get some more bored people to sit in their 6's for a few hours to mash buttons, that we will eventually find them. (or kidnap an engineer and force him to tell us all of them)

Do these options work for both the bose and non-bose stereos?
Yes and no. Yes you can try the hidden button combination on both stereos, and you can see the text on the display on what it is suppose to do on both systems, but there are certain functions that will "actually only" work and function as the text is displayed on one or the other, but not both. (see below combo's for details, if it works on both, it is labeled as both)

What can you do to help?
Well if you are bored as much as I was today, then get out to your cars and start hitting some buttons. If you do find a combo that isn't listed here, or if you find out what a function does that isn't listed here, by all means post it. Stop holding back :slap: :nana:

How to clear the option message from the lcd
Some of the option messages seem to just stay on the lcd and never go away. If this is the case, just hit the power button to turn off the stereo, then turn it back on, but remember that option you changed, will stay at whatever you changed it to unless you change it back with the same combo.

You turned off (or on) an option and you can't change it back
If you changed, (for example) the AMP option to off, and you are frantically are hitting the combo buttons to turn it back on and it won't, turn off the stereo, turn it back on, hit the button combo again and it will go to the on option.

Who found these options and who gets the credit for the find?
The mazda6 community? Heh. kinda hard to actually track down who found what and when or how. Like today I was just hitting buttons and found the AMP and ANT functions, but I have never read about those on the forums before, but that isn't to say somebody has tried it before me or even mentioned it before. So everyone deserves the credit. Round of drinks to everyone. On the house! :yesnod:

=====================================================

Display Check:
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + Seek Up Button
Both: The diagnostic assist function illuminates all characters in the LCD to check for truncated or faint characters
(it's looking like that all the 6's have the metric LCD display)

Panning Audio:
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + Auto M Down Button
Both: The diagnostic assist function outputs sound to the speakers in teh following order to determine condition of the speakers and wiring harness between teh base unit and each speaker.
1. Left door speaker and tweeter
2. Right door speaker and tweeter
3. Right rear door speaker and woofer
4. Left rear door speaker and woofer

Clear Stereo Settings:
Stereo On - Hold Tune/Settings Button + (Any other button in the ENTIRE car besides stereo power button)
Both: This will reset any bass/treble/mid/fade... back to factory defaults. (this will not reset your saved stations or ALC settings, just the normal audio settings)

Turn Off/On Audio Beep:
Stereo Off - Hold Seek Down Button + #5 Button for 3-5 seconds
Both: This will turn off or on the audible beep every time you hit a stereo button. You will hear 1 long beep when the option is enabled, and 1 short beep when the option is disabled.

Check Radio Signal Strength:
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + #2 Button
Both: The diagnostic assist function displays the radio reception condition to determine condition of the antenna, antenna feeders, and base unit (tuner)
(it will have a display of 0-9, bad reception to perfect reception)

ANT Off/On
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + AM Button
Non-Bose: Did not have any noticeable affect
Bose: ???
(think this is just a status message. When in CD mode your ANT is off, and when in FM/AM it is on, Any other info to what is really going on would be great.)

AMP Off/On
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + Scan Up Button
Both: The diagnostic assist function displays the output state of the audio amplifier operating signal to determine condition of the audio amplifier, base unit, and wiring harness between the base unit and audio amplifier

Button Check
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + MD/Tape
Both: With this option enabled it will allow you to ensure that all buttons on the stereo works. Each button will give an audible alarm when pressed, including the steering wheel buttons.

Self Diagnostics - Fault Isolation(still need to check this one out)
Stereo Off - Hold Power Button + AM + TAPE/MD Buttons
Both: This will step through a series of self test to check for a proper working audio system. The first displayed message is who made your head unit and the part number. To stop the diagnostics and "pause" the screen, turn your ignition to the lock position.
(will post the code to manufacture codes later on)

=====================================================

See less See more
#78 ·
bump for 3 code combo! still waiting.

#82 ·
hi all,

i am new to the forum and what some help please

after reading these codes i am abit confused
i want to make sure the amp is on in my car
so
AMP Off/On
Stereo On - Hold Power Button + Scan Up Button
Both: The diagnostic assist function displays the output state of the audio amplifier operating signal to determine condition of the audio amplifier, base unit, and wiring harness between the base unit and audio amplifier

but to me is the scan up button not just the seek up button, which is a display setting, so please can someone clear this up for me cheers

#85 ·
Acabo de recibir un Mazda6s GT 2006 con el sistema Bose. Después de leer este tema, probé un par de combos (no tengo idea de qué) y ahora el botón de la ventana del pasajero delantero no funciona en el panel del lado del conductor (los otros 3 botones de la ventana funcionan bien), pero la ventana funciona perfectamente bien desde el botón del lado del pasajero. Intenté desconectar la batería con la esperanza de reiniciar, pero no tuve suerte.
¿Algunas ideas?
[/CITA]

Did you solve the problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.