Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was just hoping someone around the forums knew what projector actually comes stock on the Mazda 6's with HID headlights.

I am aware that the Bosch E46 is a near perfect fit, but what kind do the stock HID headlights come with?

Also, does anyone think it would be possible to find a pair to purchase so I could do a retrofit with the stock parts?

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hey guys,

I was just hoping someone around the forums knew what projector actually comes stock on the Mazda 6's with HID headlights.

I am aware that the Bosch E46 is a near perfect fit, but what kind do the stock HID headlights come with?

Also, does anyone think it would be possible to find a pair to purchase so I could do a retrofit with the stock parts?

Cheers,

Matt[/b]
i dont understand what you are saying....... you want to retrofit using a stock halogen projector??????????

·
Registered
172 Posts
The projectors are going to be Bosch / AL Lighting. The whole headlamp assembly is made by AL Lighting, including the projectors and ballast. If you open the hood, you should see a label on the headlight that says AL. The E46 are not just a near perfect fit, but they are a perfect fit, providing that you get a left and right side projector.

To answer your question, the current 6's in the North America should be using E46 projectors because that is what the European and Japanese models used before it became an option here. I am not 100% sure on this, but I can't see Mazda spending the money to redesign the projector bracket when they don't need to.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The projectors are going to be Bosch / AL Lighting. The whole headlamp assembly is made by AL Lighting, including the projectors and ballast. If you open the hood, you should see a label on the headlight that says AL. The E46 are not just a near perfect fit, but they are a perfect fit, providing that you get a left and right side projector.

To answer your question, the current 6's in the North America should be using E46 projectors because that is what the European and Japanese models used before it became an option here. I am not 100% sure on this, but I can't see Mazda spending the money to redesign the projector bracket when they don't need to.[/b]
The man is a genius! lol I can agree with him, the E46's are a perfect fit, and i'm sure the stock HID projectors that come with the 6 now are going to be regular DOT projectors. Either way the ECE projectors from the E46 are SHARP. :yesnod:

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Hey guys,

Cheers,

Matt[/b]

Matt,call me at work 785-235-1551,I pm'd you back,don't know if you got the message.

Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont understand what you are saying....... you want to retrofit using a stock halogen projector??????????[/b]
No, if I used the stock halogen projector it wouldn't be a retro. I was wonder what brand of projector Mazda uses on their 6's that come with the HID option installed at the factory.

--------------------------------

I thought I read on posts that the E46 projector was just about perfect?? But is that wrong, does it align up perfectly with the halogen projectors?

-What other projectors could possible fit into the Mazda 6? I really like the way HID's look on the newer Acura TLs and TSXs.

-If all OEM, stock HID set-ups come with 4300k bulbs, what accounts for the different levels of color and stuff you see on different brands? Does the projector determine what color an on coming driver observes? I want to go with an OEM 4300k setup, but I want to be able to see some blues and purples mixed in with the white.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I thought I read on posts that the E46 projector was just about perfect?? But is that wrong, does it align up perfectly with the halogen projectors?[/b]
YES, it is a PERFECT fit.

-What other projectors could possible fit into the Mazda 6? I really like the way HID's look on the newer Acura TLs and TSXs.[/b]
The E46 is basically the only projector you can directly PNP. anything else requires modifications because of the size of the projector. This is why many of us have chosen to use these instead of TL's and TSX's.

-If all OEM, stock HID set-ups come with 4300k bulbs, what accounts for the different levels of color and stuff you see on different brands? Does the projector determine what color an on coming driver observes? I want to go with an OEM 4300k setup, but I want to be able to see some blues and purples mixed in with the white.[/b]
yes its all about the projector.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The e46 projectors will give you the "flicker" of purple. The projectors you get from HID planet are both for the right side so the left needs some minor modification. All you have to do is grind down a little bit of the orange plastic piece that is raised up around one of the stock projector mounting locations. All three screw holes line up perfectly on the right side and you can get two in the proper positions on the left and the third screw will grab the edge. It is really simple to do and they mount up flawlessly if you do a little grinding. If you locate a left and right projector they are 100% perfect but for $100 and ease of ordering I would go the HIDPlanet.com route and spend 2 minutes grinding.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, now that the projector situation is settled (I guess I will have to deal with E46 projectors, as much as I love that Acura color I'm not gonna go destructing my housing to fit them in there) the big question now is kits. I know that I have talked to plenty of people all over the place but I want a public poll/opinion.

Should I go with an Apexcone kit or an OEM kit. My main concerns are a) quality and b) warranties. The Phillips kit only comes with a limited warranty and I'm sure the quality is superior, but the ballasts do not come waterproofed like the Apexcone. Also, Apexcone comes with that luring LIFETIME warranty. What should I do?

Everyone please share your opinions with me and yell for asking so many damn questions.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'm having the same trouble deciding. That damn lifetime warranty is so tempting, but most retro'ers frown on kits vs. OEM products. Tough call, either way will probably be okay.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Apexcone is treating me damn nicely.I had a bulb start to go and got a replacement pair under warranty.They replace the pair of bulbs for you so they match color.You can not argue that.The ballasts are the same if not better quality than the oem stuff and my 35w 8000k retro is brighter than a stock mazda hid system.I will try and get some pics to show this tonight.

also on the projectors from hidplanet,the driver side you can just put in 3 of the 4 screws and loctite them,they won't come loose in the housing and no grinding is involved.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.