Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a stupid question.

Our fog lights... not HID's right? Can you buy HID foglights that will fit ours?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
This is probably a stupid question.

Our fog lights... not HID's right? Can you buy HID foglights that will fit ours?
[/b]
no they aren't and why would you want to? if you want the color to match, they sell bulbs that match the color temp. the foglights stink and adding HIDs down there wont help it one bit.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
our fogs are definetly not HIDs, I would recomend not getting HID fogs as it is useless...if you want a color closer to the HID headlights then I recomend buying some better bulbs instead of a whole HID setup with a ballast and everything.

some guys on here can recomend some bulbs that will match pretty close.

oh and the MODs on the board will probably tell you to change your sig for your sig pic being too tall just to give you a heads up

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I would recomend not getting HID fogs as it is useless...[/b]
Definately not useless. I have HID headlights AND foglights and the fogs help immensely. HID headlights + HID foglights are MUCH brighter than HID headlights + Regular HighBeams.

Ask Mazda_gremlyn how bright 35w HIDs are in foglights in my car

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
And where might I purchase that kit?
[/b]
www.therpmstore.com

Apexcone and Xtec are identical.

I would highly suggest the 35w kit over the 50w for the foglights, but the decision is yours. IIRC, it is an H3 bulb on the 06's (regular and ms6) for the fogs.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Well the reason I suggested the 50W was for pure brightness... your going to be lighting up roads your not even driving on :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Definately not useless. I have HID headlights AND foglights and the fogs help immensely. HID headlights + HID foglights are MUCH brighter than HID headlights + Regular HighBeams.

Ask Mazda_gremlyn how bright 35w HIDs are in foglights in my car
[/b]

except you would need 3000K foglights to make them actually usefull. anything else is stupid.

The point of foglights are that they cut through the fog using a yellow light. add HID's to that and all you have are blinding lights that wont work in fog/snow.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
To my surprise, I had my HID fogs on when there was fog around this winter, it actually works very well as the light will just light up the area that is under the blanket of fog ( fog usually float just above the road surface and our fogs is aiming just below this area )and I can clearly see where I am heading.

One other bonus is in wet condition, the HID fogs will just lit up the road where no other lights can do it better IMHO.

·
Registered
940 Posts
except you would need 3000K foglights to make them actually usefull. anything else is stupid.

The point of foglights are that they cut through the fog using a yellow light. add HID's to that and all you have are blinding lights that wont work in fog/snow.
[/b]
The need for foglights needing to be a certain color is an old wive's tale that will not die. They have proven it repeatedly and there are even a couple of scientific papers about this exact topic. To put it into really simple terms, the wavelength of the light is unimportant (as long as it is visible spectrum of course) because the difference in scale of the size of water droplets in fog.

Look past the first answer and do a little looking
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99xx4.htm

·
Registered
451 Posts
what exactly is involved in putting in the HID kit for the foglights?

and what color would match the HIDS in the ehadlights?

·
Registered
322 Posts
And what are all those different bulb types for? It that like a socket type? How would we find out what's compatible with the MS6?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Just order HID kit with the bulb type for our car which is H11. Most will be just plug and play and the only work around is to find somewhere to mount the ballast, straight simple.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
probably a stupid question but: are HID's different from xenon's?
[/b]
No. HID stands for High Intensity Discharge. Xenon is the gas that is used for this to occur. People use the names interchangeably it seems.

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Buy a 50W XTEC Race Kit for the fogs... i think it'll be bright enough...
[/b]

Your a class act.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts