Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be purchasing a HID kit soon for my M6/s. I have been looking at the ones that are "plug and play", but it seems like you need a wire to come out of the housing to connect to the ballast. Is this correct?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Reading Topic: HID Install

Yes atom.

You need to run the wire back out. You can run it through the edges of the square cover, but you might run the risk of chaffing the wires. The best thing to do would be to drill a small hole for the wires to come out of. Our kits come with a rubber grommet to seal the hole from the elements.

I could be wrong, and will take a closer look on the 6's setup next week, but these are my preliminary thoughts.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thabks for the info! I was told that you will be testing a 6 soon. Let me know how it goes. If there are any pics also that you may be able to post when this is done it will help me with the install. The only thing I don't like is drilling a hole in to my brand new baby.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Why does a hole need to be drilled in the headlamp assy? Are we talking a grounding wire, or what?

thanks,
-Alt

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'HID Install'

There may need to be a hole drilled in the plastic cover because you need one wire to connect to the light bulb and the other to to connect to the harness (or maybe visversa)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Replying to Topic 'HID Install'

atom,

the hole is needed because you need to run the wires from the HID bulb to the starter/igniter.

The picture above shows a ground which plugs in. The Catz kit makes you screw the ground into the vehicle's body.

If you plug it in, you might not get as good a ground causing intermittent failures, flickering and/or discoloration.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So in the long run you would recomend a kit that uses a ground that connects to the body of te car rather than one that plugs into the exsisting harness?

·
Registered
514 Posts

Yep... I figured it was for a ground wire...
No biggie, just remember to seal that hole with silicone, guys!

-Alt

·
Registered
837 Posts

I don't know about drilling. I will not feel comfortable in drilling the housing, especially if the back of the housing is made of glass.

How bad is the symptoms if you don't ground it to the chassis? Why is that wire not fed through the base like all the other wires?

Liteswap, when you do install the HID kit on the M6, please take lots of pictures of the entire installation. I would appreciate it.

TIA

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Well the piece i am talking about is just the cover to the regular low beam headlight. You ca just take it off then drill your hole. After that i'm not sure what to do. Plug right in to harness or leave the ground wire out and bolt it to the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts