Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this weekend i installed my HID's that i ordered from the RPM store. 6000k x-tec's. with the help of AZMZ6, and another friend we got it done. we figured out a different aproach to wiring them up and also mounting the ballasts.

mounted the ballast on the other underside of the headlight housings. applied some double sided aheadsive, and used some very tiny screws to hold them on. nothing is in the way with the screws you just have to be careful drilling.

instead of drilling one big hole for the bulb and the other wires that need to come out we decided to drill a smaller hole on the side. the dustcap hole was drilled for the bulb only and fits perfectly. we then made a tiny other hole for the other two wires to come out.

applied a little silicone to seal up the hole.

drivers side, zip tied all of the wires together into one neat package since there was a lot of extra wire on the drivers side. everything clears my intake and there are no issues.

passenger side. we were worried the ballast was going to hit the windshield washer resevoiur but it didnt. there was still enough room to clear. just barely though.

final product after everything was put back together and the bumper was put back on!

overall im very happy with the way this went. the only issues with mounting the ballasts underneath the lights is clearance. there is only about 1/8th of an inch from my intake tubing but its not a problem. we put a piece of mounting tape right by it in case it decides to rub. just another idea for anyone wondering where to mount the ballasts and run their wires a different way.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you. really AZMZ6 is to thank for thinking up such a clean install. i was just along for the ride. :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
so is it bulb still clipped onto the original mount that the halogen bulb rested on? or is it just sitting on the hole of the dust cap? cuz the latter scares me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so is it bulb still clipped onto the original mount that the halogen bulb rested on? or is it just sitting on the hole of the dust cap? cuz the latter scares me.
[/b]
haha good question! i didnt put the bulbs since i was doing something else but im assuming they are clipped in since they would bounce around if they werent.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
roger that. they go in just like the stock bulbs did. and i put a lot of thought into this install and was very impressed with the end result. the lastest xtec is just awesome. all of the parts look top notch, and it makes for a very clean setup. and the ballasts are double sided taped along with the screws. but the screws are very very short. i think the were only 1/4" long. they must be this way because the single screw on the one end sits right under the adjuster for the one of rht lights. but it clears it just fine. if i can answer any questions, by all means lemme know. i was very happy with the way this went. and how clean it turned out. oh, and for those that wonder the way the wires are siliconed in there, if you snip the zip ties, the wiring has enough slack for the housing to sit on the ground while its still attached. on both sides. ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh good, then that hid job is officially the best I've seen period. Makes mine look like a dog w/ thumbs put it together. I got silicon pvc or wtv that glue/gel is splattered all over the torn up/raped rubber grommet AND the +/- oem wires sticking outta there to connect to the ballast +/-...ballast was placed on the metal bumper mount. Kudos to you two, I'm deeply impressed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice job J!
[/b]

Do you mind posting a night time pic of the 6000k xtec? I see a pic on their website but its not a 6. thanks!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Nice install, very clean... But the only downside of drilling that second hole is that now you have a hole in your headlamp. So if you ever deside to convert back to stock (to sell), you can't just replace the dust cap for like $15.

You will always have a hole there that you have to hide or tell the buyer about it...

Just my 2cents...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts