Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I like to thank spidy for doing a excellent HID install. We took our time and did such a clean looking install! :) And when the time was ticking down on us, Haroon to the rescue! LoL :D
Thanks Haroon for getting us out of our tight squeeze for time!! Hopefully Spidy can get some pics up for everybody to see!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Well, I spent 5 hours with hillmar installing his xtec 5000K 55W hids today. I think we could have been faster but we took our time and took a few breaks in between waiting for his girlfriend to get us H3 piaa foglight bulbs :)

I must say, I'm very impressed with the XTec packaging compared to my crappy McCullochs that I installed 2 years ago. Its pretty much (almost) plug and play... just one part I rushed a bit (sorry, my fault) and didn't pay attention to the hookup so some time was lost spent logically re-thinking the hookup. Near the end I got tired after a full days work so I got a bit sloppy :zzz: I was actually up since 5:30AM to run errands!

But all in all, end result look fantastic!

Without further adiu, here are the pics. ZmZmFan had to show up near then end and helped us disable the DRL while we re-bolted the bumper back on... that and the fact that he had to come out and show us who's our daddy... yes, the d2s retrofit with proper projectors still kick butt on regular hid kits.

The piaa h3 extreme whites match up very well with hilmars 5K xtec kit.

I'll be by sometime in the next few weeks to finish off the install and hookup hilmars fogs as DRL so if anyone wants to come by and get their fogs hooked up too just pm and we'll let u know the time we've decided upon.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Dammit Spidy...I thought I successfully fought off this HID that bug I had. Thanks for posting the pics....Darn bug is got me again.

So when is your next trip to WA? :laugh:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
the retro does look really nice, but that requires a lot of work and $ right? But I think I would have gotten the 6000k which the colour would be a little more blue... I guess that's for next spring!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought you put in HID Fogs as well????

Do they Tilt up ad down? or is that an 06 mod?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I really don't see any difference between the kits and the retrofit.
[/b]
Right. You won't in pics. The difference is quite apparent when viewed in person and from behind the wheel

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Dammit Spidy...I thought I successfully fought off this HID that bug I had. Thanks for posting the pics....Darn bug is got me again.

So when is your next trip to WA? :laugh:
[/b]
i'll be sure to let u know :laugh: i may head down to the seattle outlet premium malls on thanksgiving... but that's still a bit far off from bremerton :)

all the hids looked good, but the retro does look very good in person. but i think to the average person on the street they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

one thing that i really really hate about the mazda designed headlights though, all of our 6's and pretty much most 6's i've seen have dust inside the headlight clusters. just looks cheezy and i sometimes wonder how bad they'd get over time. mazda needs to fix the design, there almost needs to be a TSB on it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Um so do alll mazda headlight tilt from factory? do these upgrade kits tilt up and down... I have like a litte switch on my dash that points them up and down....this an option? like i said, I bought a 6 by accident.. best accident ever. but still I know NOTHING about these cars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Next time add me to the picture with the stock Mazda HIDs.
[/b]
How do the factory HID's compare to the retrofit HID's in terms of how much of the road is lit up in front of you and to the sides? I don't really care about the colour. I just want improved lighting when I'm driving at night on the darker stretches of the 401 here in Ontario.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I heard that the factory HID's are actually not that bright and some people complained about them in some posts. Can't remember where I read it though.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Mazda(speed)6 factory HIDs, you mean.

Yes, they suck. The optics of the projectors they're using suck. No colour, and the light looks no different than halogen... slightly brighter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I dunno, I have factory HID's, and they are impressive to me. They arent like BLINDING but i find the deffinition pretty good.I just tilt em up a little when i am on the highway, and bring em down when i am just crusing around town.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts