Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Recently I have bought an HID conversion kit for my 2005 M6. My buddy who is much better at working on cars (did his HID conversion in his WRX) took a look at the OEM connection for the low beams in the car (just one simple clip that clips on the back of the H1 bulb) and the connectors that came with the kit (looked like a 2 to 3 prong plugin) and came to the conclusion that they obviously they won't work together. Is there an adaptor, or is there some re-wiring that has to be done?

I've tried to find some more information about how to convert the low beams to HIDs, but I couldn't find a step by step guide on how to convert the low beams to HID.

Here is the link to the conversion kit that I bought. It'll show you what I have on hand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

If anyone out there can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. :yesnod:

·
Registered
170 Posts
They look like they're cheap in quality. But I'm no pro so who knows ;p

·
Registered
440 Posts
That link takes me to a full HID converstion kit for $40? I would return that kit asap and buy yourself a real brand name kit with a guarantee and take it to a shop and have them install it. Or if you know exactly how to access your bulbs and can run the wiring and hook up the ballasts properly then you do it. That kit looks like it came out of a cracker jack box. Plus you dont know that all those cars in the ad actually have that kit installed or not. Ebay is good for somethings, not all things. For a true brand name kit with top quality its going to be much more than $40,lol

B

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hmm...the bulbs in those kits are missing some wires, it seems like. There should be 4 wires coming from the bulb, 2 that go to the stock power and ground, and 2 that go to the ballast.

I'd return the thing and buy a kit from a vendor who sells brand name stuff that is used by a ton of other people here. eBay is not exactly the best place to buy car parts.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Couple local shops here have quoted in the $150-$200 (CDN) range for a good kit, excluding install + taxes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, first I realize that the kit that I bought isn't a top of the line kit, but it does have all the essentail pieces for the conversion. Before I decide tuck tail and run and return this kit to the vendor I want to first explore my alternatives. So for the sake of arugument lets assume that I did buy a top of the line kit. The main issue that I'm driving here is that vendors that create the xenon kits do not specifically have mazda in mind, or any other band of car. They have the type of bulb in mind like the H1. Then they build a conversion kit around the type of bulb, which can fit multiple types of cars. The issue is that I cannot find enough information about installing the xenon lights in the low beam area, and if there is a wiring conversion for the default clip that plugs into the back of the halogen light bulb.

Let me outline the information that I'm looking for:

1. More information on how the default signal wiring for the low beams interact with the aftermarket installation of the HIDs.

2. If all possible a link to a guide somewhere that will give more information to this installation.

3. If a relay harness is necessary for this conversion.

4. Also if it is necessary to take out the whole headlight assembly when installing the HIDs

I found a guide in these forums that talk about installing the HIDs in the fog light in the bumper, but not for the low beams. Once I get more information on how the default wiring interacts with the kits, I believe that my friend and I should be able to put it in ourselves. I'd rather learn how to install these lights myself, rather than pay probably way too much in labor fees for someone else to do it.

If anyone has any additional information in regard to the outlined topics, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If all the pieces are there, once you take off the headlight, the install becomes ridiculously obvious. When I first started looking into HIDs, I didn't understand it either. Even the guide I found didn't help. I just went ahead and started the install, though, and I about kicked myself for not realizing how it all came together.

The reason that nobody makes kits specifically for one car or another is because car makers don't put proprietary bulbs in...they put in bulb types that already exist (for the most part). If the HID kit is properly made, it will fit without a problem.

Like I said, from the pictures on eBay, it seems that it's not a complete plug and play kit. You insist that it is, so if that's the case, here's how the install goes. Pull the bumper, pull the headlight, open the dustcap. Pull out the stock bulb. Put the HID bulb in. There should be 2 thin wires that attach to the stock power and ground wires (most kits make those wires red for positive and black for ground). Connect the other two wires from the bulb to the ballast (on most kits, these just snap into each other). Mount the ballasts and reassemble the car.

There's no need for a relay harness if you have a 35w kit...a 55w kit should be accompanied by a harness, at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upon further research on the old world wide web, I think I have come across a good guide that fully explains how to install the HIDs into the low beams for the mazda 6. In regard to the positive and negative connections for the bulb, it appears that the negative ground wire is in the headlight assembly itself! So yes Freak4Dell you are right as its not a straight Plug and Play system. However, from looking at the guide and what I have on hand, it looks like I have everything to put them in.

Here's the link to the pdf

http://www.ddmtuning.com/content/techtips/h1lowbeam2.pdf

Although this pdf doesn't have direct pictures of a mazda 6 headlight assembly, I believe it has great step by step instructions on fitting these lights into the 6. Now I'm going to have to figure out the best way to take off the bumper and the headlight assembly. :p

Hope this guide helps others who were wondering what I was. If anyone else has anything else to add to the thread, please be my guest! The more information we have on hand the better!

Thank you Freak4Dell for your input as well. I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just ordered my hid kit from ddm, did you find that the h1 bulb fit in, or did you have to make some adjustments in the headlights?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The bulb will fit without any modifications. It's a slightly tighter fit than the halogen bulb, but just be careful and you'll get it in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts