Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just installed my HIDs and it took me a good 4 hours. I am wondering, since i installed my HID ballast right next to the resonator would it get wet and break? I just finished reading 2 threads on water getting into a CAI and my ballast is in the same position where the resonator or CAI would go so are there any chances? It doesn't flood here in San Antonio, Tx too often and i will most likely try to avoid any deep puddles so do you think i'll be alright leaving the ballast there? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Hey everyone, I just installed my HIDs and it took me a good 4 hours. I am wondering, since i installed my HID ballast right next to the resonator would it get wet and break? I just finished reading 2 threads on water getting into a CAI and my ballast is in the same position where the resonator or CAI would go so are there any chances? It doesn't flood here in San Antonio, Tx too often and i will most likely try to avoid any deep puddles so do you think i'll be alright leaving the ballast there? Thanks in advance. [/b]
Congrats on the HID's.. You'll see a world of difference.

Just curious, since you had to take off the headlights to install 'em, why didn't you simply drill the ballasts underneath the headlight housings? I did that, and it' fit extremely well.

Now, in responce to your question, if you got the Apexcone kit, I'd say that you're in a pretty good standing, since the ballasts are sealed pretty well. I'm sure the company knows that these parts really SHOULD be able to handle all sorts of weather conditions, to a certain extent..

Also worthy of mentioning, I'm almost positive that a certain part of the fog light wiring goes in the general area.. I installed my fogs myself, and I've driven in all sorts of weather (minus snow.. for now..), and I've had no problems.

btw, POST PICS! What color temp did you get?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got 6000K :) and they are Apexcones, I don't have pics yet because when i got finished with the install my mom and brother came home and blocked my way out of the garage so i didn't want to just take a close up of the lights but they are amazing! :) And it was too late to move the cars so i'll just take the pics another time.

I didn't drill the ballasts into the housings because i didn't have a drill to work with, just my trusty dremel tool, because my uncle borrowed our drill this morning... But anyways, i did 3M tape the passenger ballast to the bottom of the housing but the right side i used the 3M tape but the surface wasn't level and I found that out after i tried sticking it onto the metal next to the resonator so i just duck taped to add more hold. I'm going to be installing clear side markers soon so i will probably remove the resonator and mount the driver side ballast again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 16 years old so i don't have any bills to pay and i have a part time job and work once a week and on holidays i work about half the days i have off so i earn more money then. Money isn't coming in that fast but its at a good rate :) not like everyone with a good paying job or anything, school is still my main priority so i try to keep my working schedule small.

As for the 194's, since you asked i'll give you a sneak peak of the picture i just took in the garage :) I know i said i wouldn't take a close up but its just so awesome, he he.

It is still a little off but i don't think it can get any better then this. I am using this http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=141
The price is for 2 bulbs so its a pretty good deal considering how bright they are.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
looks good,next time you have the bumper off.just mount the ballasts to the bottom of the headlamp

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
You will like the CAI more than the clear markers for your next mod,trust me.I did both of those mods.

·
Registered
391 Posts
very cool bioxide! I can't wait to get back to modding after the first of the year :D

HID's are very soon on my list as well :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys :). I really don't want to get the CAI next though because i've been spending a lot on my car and i want to try to keep my spending constant instead of modding everything at once, gives me something to do.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey Bioxide :drive:

sorry to hijack the thread, but did you get the harness and relay with the kit?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I ordered my kit from RPM and just got the plug n play kit. I installed it around mid October but after reading in several places that if the electrical system goes out, the repair can be very pricey. So this kind of has me worried :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't get the relay because i bought it from somewhere else and they didn't offer the relay, but it seems to work fine without it. The place i bought it from was a group buy on understeer.com a BMW site but they don't offer the GB anymore. Got it for $225 there :) Someone told me if you got the relay it would be a more reliable source of energy for your HIDs but can't imagine how that works :/

I ordered my kit from RPM and just got the plug n play kit. I installed it around mid October but after reading in several places that if the electrical system goes out, the repair can be very pricey. So this kind of has me worried :(
[/b]
The HIDs are powered from the head light power and my headlights have never stopped working or anything so i can't imagine how it can go out. And even if it does, it is just like turning off the HIDs isn't it? Anyone wanna share some knowledge? :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ahh i see...$225 what a steal, awesome buy! :yesnod:

I was thinking about getting some 3000k for my fog-lights with the relay since i didnt get one for my lowbeams. So do you think its necessary or should i be ok?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahh i see...$225 what a steal, awesome buy! :yesnod:
I was thinking about getting some 3000k for my fog-lights with the relay since i didnt get one for my lowbeams. So do you think its necessary or should i be ok?

[/b]
to be honest with you, i really don't know :( Anyone have an answer cause i might get some fogs also but that'll be a long time later.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
This has been an ongoing discussion w/ the factory harness powering aftermarket HID's..

With my reasoning, the HID's draw LESS power, so it's highly unlikely that it'll damage anything with the wiring. If anything, go back to stock before taking it to the dealer lol
They won't know.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
well, i guess there're 2 ways of saying how the HID takes in the power, either it will take in so much power at the start, and thus melt the stock wiring, or it wont get enough power to the ballast that it will die prematurely...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
well, i guess there're 2 ways of saying how the HID takes in the power, either it will take in so much power at the start, and thus melt the stock wiring, or it wont get enough power to the ballast that it will die prematurely... [/b]
If the stock halogens draw 55w, and the HID's draw 35w, how would the ballast not get enough power? (I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm actually curious lol)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts