Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I'm a new car owner. My Grandfather bought me my Mazda 6 from an auction without telling me (it is a gift I appreciate very much and the car is great to drive). I was just wanting to give a bit of context and hopefully get some tips and recommendations for my car. It is from 2006 and it seems like the title might have been title washed at some point. Apparently it had been flooded at some point and the title didn't show such damage.

Anyway, I'm a bit of a mechanically inclined guy but I'm unfamiliar with the car so anything people say could be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
17,364 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your acquisition; that's a super cool gift to get! Before we dive into suggestions, is it the 3.0L V6 or the 4-cylinder? :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You are lucky to have such a great grandfather. Take the issues your car has as an opportunity to learn and make it perfect.

Make sure you let your grandfather know how grateful you are from time to time over the next few years.

A Mazda6 is a great first car. My first car was a ... (well never mind).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much of the info I have about it I had to sort of "reverse engineer" and after a while I figured out it was the 3.0L V6

·
Super Moderator
17,364 Posts
Gotcha, 3.0L DOHC V6

Here's an extraordinary list of fixes to many issues you could come across eventually (but hopefully not). Bookmark/download this for later just in case: Final Impacts running list of links that help solve issues

But, typical things to look at with the V6 are:
  • PCV Valve/Hose - Make sure it's an updated one with a "honeycomb" type pattern or else it's prone to kinking/cracking over time. $10 and 15 minute fix if necessary.
  • Clean your mass airflow sensor (MAF) and replace air filters; this car loves fresh air, and lots of it.
  • Check for any small oil leaks - some gaskets can start to go as the engine ages, unfortunately. Your car is 80% Ford, including the motor (technically it's a Mazda design based on a Porsche block, but we won't get into that debate....again ;) ). It's the exact same engine used in a Ford Fusion of the same year.
  • The catalytic converters can start to get clogged up over time, so let us know if you start smelling any sulfur when driving.
  • You've got a timing chain, not timing belt, so you're good there.
  • The little plastic coolant "T" fitting will break at some point, spewing coolant everywhere. It's a piece of garbage, so look into replacing it with something brass. Lots of threads on here about that and/or bypassing it.
  • Check your engine mounts - there's 2 in the engine bay and a dog-bone underneath - the dog-bone is usually the first to go.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure others will have some good ideas too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts