Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a newby but I did have to re register on the forum as my old email was used and I could not remember my password. I am fomerly Turbo Matt on the forum.

I have little over 60,000 miles on my 2006 Speed6 and I have noticed recentlya lot more detonation in the higher gears under low load, high load. I can actually hear the clicking and the car begins to buck and sputter and the ECU immediatly pulls boost. I am thinking it might need some new plugs. Has this been experienced by some other members on the board? If it seems like it could be the plugs what plug does everyone recommend? The car is stock save for a CPE CAI. Also what other items should I check?

It has not had a reflash of the ECU since probably 2007 and I am no longer under warrantee. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I am at 100k with the stock factory plugs, no knock.

If you have a dashhawk, do some logs of the rpm, kr, abs load, amb temp, map temp, and afr

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sounds like it could use a new set of plugs, and a reflash to me. You should not be experiencing that on a stock tune me thinks. :) What the hell do I know though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is plugs. What ones should I go with to replace? Thanks for the thoughts. I wish I did have a Dash hawk but I do not. I do not get any check engine lights. The only one I ever got was from the stupid Gas Cap not being tight.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The majority of people are going with one step colder plugs. There's many brands you can go with, but it's all about preference. I went with NGKs. There's a thread around here with the plug part numbers for our application.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
whereabouts do you live? if in florida, what city? i wouldnt mind meeting up to do some logs and get a second set of eyes on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Po57 thanks for the offer but I actually live in GA. so it would be a heck of a drive for logging:lol:.

I will do some searches on the board and see what I can come up with. Has anyone every try to relate the detonation with the Swirl Valve issues we have had in the past. I was going to have this done before the car was out of warrantee but before I could I reached the 4 year mark:mad:. Not sure if this would even be related but I wanted to throw it out there. Honestly I do not even know what the Swirl Vale does other than something to do with emissions. But I do not know why this would cause detonation.

Where is the swirl Valve anyway?

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
It shouldnt be the cause of your problems. It's just an evaporative control for emissions.

I believe it's the hose that runs along the right side of the IC, with a charcoal caninster and the valve with a wire connect attached. One end goes to the IM where it attaches with a blue quick connect. And the other end goes off toward the firewall.

Anyway, I think that's it, though I've never messed with it before. Could be wrong :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I used to get this same type of detonation when I was bone stock. Well, with just mscai I guess. Always when cruising in 6th gear and hit the gas. The best solution is to just downshift to 5th before you pass somebody or accelerate in general.
On a side note, now that I'm running the Cobb AP, even with the OTS stage 1+ map, this happens far less frequently. This engine knocks a lot from the factory, but most non-modders don't think anything of it since they have no idea what a dashhawk or detonation or knock retard is. Not saying it's totally harmless, but probably not that big of a deal. Bottom line, try not to lug the engine in high gear/low rpm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts