Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from faqlight.carpassion.info
H1 HID:
Depth: H1 capsule is 19mm (44-25) from base of filament to the tip. The same distance on an HID capsule is 23.3 mm (52.5-27.1-2.1). You should leave 5mm distance for the HID bulb return wire. So the required depth is now 28mm (23.3+5). This means that you need 9mm (28-19) extra depth. In a reflector housing it can hit the glare box, if it exist. In a projector housing, it will typically hit the cutoff shield.

(Pics are not in the same scale)

2) Diameter: The hole diameter in the reflector is almost equal (1mm difference). However, the hole has to be made bigger so that the return wire gets its 5mm distance to metal. The return wire is 8.7mm away from the center. Add 5mm and you need 14mm of cutout from the center. Even if you have plastic reflectors this has to be taken into consideration. The reflective material is a chrome substance, and is indeed an electrical conductor.
[/b]
And why putting H3 HID kit is "useless":

H3 HID
A standard H3 bulb is 55W and is typically found in less critical applications like aux. lighting. H3 bulbs has been found in some low quality Asian aftermarked headlights. H3 has a lateral mount filament, and HID is only fore and aft, so a result of retrofit is that you will end up with garbage.

[/b]

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh... btw, check out the how-to retrofit thread, i've added the legality of proper retro.... advices from the experts...

taken again from the same site faqlight.carpassion.info <-- u guys should go to this site if u want to know more about HID lighting or other lighting...
Is it illegal to sell HID kits?

All HID kits containing an HID bulb intending to replace a halogen bulb is illegal to sell in North America. This is not a new regulation, its been there since way before HID kits came on the marked. It basically goes under regulations regarding non-compliant lighting. Equipment commercially made/sold in the US currently carries a fine of up to $10,000 per occurrence.

Are HID kits legal for road use in North Amercia or Europe?

Increasing output from a light source beyond what headlight optical is designed for is not legal.

[/b]
SON... of a beech. I just put my ballasts up for sale. Maybe I should take them back down :headscrat:

Good find man.
[/b]
LOL... wat kinda ballast??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
t_mo_t
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing