Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alrighty, so I finally got a chance to hit the dyno. I've been wanting to do this for the longest time before I start tuning my car to use it as a base line. Kinda like a before and after type of deal. I was pretty surprised when I heard the number as I though I was going to sit a wee bit lower than this, but what the hell. I know these numbers are a joke for most of you guys, but I'm pretty content right now with what I have. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to touch 300 ponies. Yeah, I have the fall-on-its-face after 5.5K thing going on, but that's another job for the AP. It's riding behind the UPS truck as I type. I plan on getting the ETS TMIC sometime soon. I'll be posting some more numbers after I get those things done. But without further ado, here a printout of my best pull. Power mods are Magnaflow CBE, Test Pipe, Fujita CAI, Cobb TIP, NGKs 1-step colder. Other mods are SU RMM and SU Stiff Diff brace. What do guys think?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Cool. This will make you feel even better....I only made 229/245 (w/ a stage 2 tune) but it was on a different dyno. Everyone was yapping about how low my #'s were, lol, but someone local said their dyno was screwed up a couple months before. They had a dyno day, and everyone was reading low as hell. Who knows... she hauls ass, which is all that matters. Once I'm done tuning for meth, I may sniff out an awd DynoJet that WORKS, just for the hell of it to see what's up. I don't even know if I'll bother though, because that's $100 that should be going to my much needed catted DP!!

Thanks for posting this Mars... I'm interested in seeing the difference. Hopefully ambient, humidity, etc... will be similar. Make sure to get on the exact same dyno too.

Reactions: AtTheDriveIn

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cool. This will make you feel even better....I only made 229/245 (w/ a stage 2 tune) but it was on a different dyno. Everyone was yapping about how low my #'s were, lol, but someone local said their dyno was screwed up a couple months before. They had a dyno day, and everyone was reading low as hell. Who knows... she hauls ass, which is all that matters.
Oh hell no, Dougeman!! That dyno's jacked!! I couldn't imagine you putting down those numbers with what you have, lol! As long as the butt dyno feels right, then it's all good.

I sorta had that feeling too about using this garage's dyno. I think it's the only one we have in the region and I don't know how well its reputation is. I know Forzda approves it because he recommended I go get my numbers from there and so did he.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Alrighty, so I finally got a chance to hit the dyno. I've been wanting to do this for the longest time before I start tuning my car to use it as a base line. Kinda like a before and after type of deal. I was pretty surprised when I heard the number as I though I was going to sit a wee bit lower than this, but what the hell. I know these numbers are a joke for most of you guys, but I'm pretty content right now with what I have. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to touch 300 ponies. Yeah, I have the fall-on-its-face after 5.5K thing going on, but that's another job for the AP. It's riding behind the UPS truck as I type. I plan on getting the ETS TMIC sometime soon. I'll be posting some more numbers after I get those things done. But without further ado, here a printout of my best pull. Power mods are Magnaflow CBE, Test Pipe, Fujita CAI, Cobb TIP, NGKs 1-step colder. Other mods are SU RMM and SU Stiff Diff brace. What do guys think?
It's not a joke for me since we basically have the same power mods, minus the magnaflow and i have the AP running stage2. Was curious about what my car would make. this is interesting.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think you could gain another 20HP from a good tune, your afr's are 10.0. Lean them out to about 11.5 and keep the throttle open and you will see nice gains. Once you get the TMIC and AP, you should be around 260 awhp. That's not too bad for this awd system. I'm not sure the TP and CBE do much for us, the real restriction is the first cat and piping.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I did a quick and dirty comparison to my dyno run at the same place, so the data is directly comparable to show the differences in overall performance versus just peak numbers. The SAE correction factor on mine was 0.98 and Volta's was 0.99 so we're damn close. The lower the CF from 1.0, the more the software decreases the results. A CF of 1.0 is the "actual" results, so with no CF our results would be "higher". Ok, here we go:

Peak numbers don't tell the story, but this comparison may help....

I tried to attach it, but this forum is the WORST for attachments. Here is the data if you can sort it out...

DYNO COMPARE (peak)
FORZDA1 = 266/310
MarsVolta = 228/277
___________38 / 33

Nothing for FORZDA1 to brag about, but should be a noticeable SOTP difference.

Now let’s compare the numbers at the dyno rpm break points to show the difference “under the curve”, which is a real kick in the pants. MarsVolta’s dyno run shuts off @ 5850 rpms because the ECU says party time is over, so I just used a straight edge to line up the slope of the values to extrapolate a straight line for some numbers at 6k and 6.5k rpms for comparison. Notice the nice increase in mid-range torque where you can really feel the pull. Also notice that the FORZDA1 setup puts out SIGNIFICANTLY more hp/tq from 5500 to 6500 rpms!

Power mods beyond MarsVolta are: catted DP, ETS TMIC, & AP tune (OTS stage2 93 +TMIC at the time), about +$2000 worth of mods, so YOU decide if it’s worth the extra $$$$...

________MarsVolta_____________FORZDA1

RPM ____HP/TQ _________HP/TQ _________HP/TQ Diff

2500____65/135___________70/150_________ +5/+15

3000 ___140/245 _________140/250 _________0/+5

3500 ___185/277(peak) ____190/285 _________+5/+10

4000 ___200/265 _________235/310(peak) ___+15/+45

4500 ___210/240 _________240/285 ________+30/+45

5000 ___220/230 _________230/250 ________+10/+20

5500 ___227(peak)/215 ____245/235 ________+20/+20

6000 ___140/120 _________266(peak)/230 ___+120/+110

6500 ____45/25 __________240/195 ________+195/+170

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally received my AP today and took a small trip to do some data logging to begin doing my MAF cal. I would like to show you guys my logs, but I have no idea how to post excel files for everyone to see. I know on MSF, csv files are allowed. Can anyone help me out here?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I finally received my AP today and took a small trip to do some data logging to begin doing my MAF cal. I would like to show you guys my logs, but I have no idea how to post excel files for everyone to see. I know on MSF, csv files are allowed. Can anyone help me out here?
Congrats on the AP finally showing up! I think you need to write your own code to be able to post excel files in here, lol. The only way I've seen them posted is in zip files, iirc, but not everyone has a decompression software (or whatever it's called). What I normally do is take a screen shot, save as a jpeg, crop it real quick in PS, and either host it on Photobucket or attach it as a thumbnail (or both). Ever since the site upgrade, I haven't been able to post images at their full size as an IMG code... they get shrunk, which is fine, except when you have a wide excel file, and you can't see crap.

I would like to see how your fuel trims are before you do anything. Just do the maf g/s test described in the sticky that asshole made. I gotta cal mine too tomorrow (hopefully, if fuel press returns), and I'm going to the Cape this weekend, but I'll try to help you out if I can. Take your time to understand it, and do a good job with it.

Your AFRs are rich (I didn't notice it), so good call there Shades. However, you want to be running rich, not lean when you start tuning. The OTS map you run will probably be rich as well.. don't worry about that until you get the maf cal'd, see what KR is doing, etc...

Congrats again on the AP!! My CPE pump is "out for delivery" :).

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
I would just zip up the file and post it. Anyone with windows should be able to open a .zip file. It's built into windows.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Just open the csv file, select save as, then select excel worksheet (.xls), and save. Done!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Well, old MarsVolta is busy cleaning up the oil dripping off his car, refilling the crankcase and changing out the brakes. It seems the dealer didn't tighten his drain plug last month and today it exited the pan hole and the oil followed. I'm sure he'll chime in later with details or a new thread, but....

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Well, old MarsVolta is busy cleaning up the oil dripping off his car, refilling the crankcase and changing out the brakes. It seems the dealer didn't tighten his drain plug last month and today it exited the pan hole and the oil followed. I'm sure he'll chime in later with details or a new thread, but....
Damn, and I thought I had bad luck. Good thing you guys caught that. Mars, stay away from the dealer please. I bring my car to Valvoline for oil changes... they're service is usually pretty solid and there's a couple close by. Sorry to hear of that Mars.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Man what a crazy day. FML. I was on the way to the auto hobby shop on the highway then I look on my rear view mirror and all I see smoke bellowing behind me. The first thing that's goes in my mind is turbo seal is gone? oil rings gave out? But I still had power and heard no boom. I'm about 5 miles from the base so chanced it. I pull up to the security checkpoint and I can smell and see some of the burning oil rising next my door. Poor security guy must be smelling like oil right now, lol! I finally pull into the bay, shut off my motor, then the car begins to puke oil everywhere!!

A guy walked up to me and he's like, "Hey man your car spewing oil"

I"m like, "Yeah"

"So are you going to do something?"

"No" (asshole)

So I got people looking over at my bay as I'm scrambling looking for a oil container, but by then, almost all the oil was gone. Shit. So I started removing the belly pan off the car, then there it was, the fucking drain plug sitting there as if it was waving at me. I'm so pissed off as it is.

The employee comes up to me and asks, "Hey! You're going to clean that up, right!?

"No, I'm going to leave for the next person that uses this bay"

Somehow the guy figured I was pissed off as it is so surprisingly he didn't give me shit for that remark. I called the dealership and they pretty much told me to fuck off. I would have to pay the car to get towed to them. If they decide it was their fault, they would reimburse me. Fuck that. It would mean opening another can of worms to deal with. This is something I could fix myself anyway. So I'm looking at the aftermath, there's oil literally all over the underside of the car like tiny stalactites. Oh it gets better! There's oil misting in the entire rear!! I'm sure the people following behind me on the highway got sprayed with it. I could see people getting out of my rear pretty quick. I was too pissed off to clean up the underside. I figured it provides corrosion protection. I'm definitely washing the car tonight though.

So now the car is sitting without oil, I'm stuck in a military base, and no way to get oil. I figured I would wait for my old lady to get off work to bring me some. Oh wait!! Her fucking ID is expired and they wont allow her in! Thankfully, Forzda came to the rescue like the good man he is and took care of of the oil problem. Thank you so much, Joe! I'm glad there was some good out of it though. My engine's still good to go and rocking. I installed my new rotors and Hawk HPS pads. No more shaky wheel under braking and it feels sooooo good. I know things could of gone a lot more worse, but I'm thankful the car is running fine and took me home. I'm going to download my ATR, crack open a beer, and relax. rant/

So the moral of this story is: If you see a car smoking a little too much, get the fuck out from behind it.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Damn dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear, but glad that the car is okay. I may have the dealer tow it... if for nothing else to have them take the blame (and pay for your 6 qts), and document it in case something is wrong, and rears it's head later. Just a thought...
Good luck and enjoy your beer!

·
Registered
319 Posts
jesus christ. my dealer is about 10 miles away, and if i had to i would walk to the dealership and fucking start smacking them around. thats total bullshit that they blew you off like that...grrrrrrr. anyway, glad everythings ok!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts