Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so we all know that when you pull the e-brake it automatically dis-engages the rwd on our cars right. I was racing an 05 Mustang GT and realized that on te launch I was SPINNING the tires!!!!!!! I looked down and saw the brake light on the dash flashing!!! Turns out the e-brake handle was fluttering up and down from the g-forces generated by the 5000RPM launch. The RWD will disengage as soon as the brake light comes on which will make your front tires spin like a bitch!! Check your e-brakes and see how much it pulling up it takes to get the dash light to come on. Mines was less that 1/8 inch of travel before it disengages the rear wheels.
On another note. Try driving in 2nd gear, putting the gas to the floor and waiting for boost. Then pull up the brake just until the light omes on! You'll get a bout 10% more acceleration because only the ront wheels are seing the power. I tried it in the rain in 3rd gear. I put it to the floor and pulled the e-brake handle up about a 1/4 inch and the front tires started spinning like crazy!!!!
Long story short, I think Mazda shouls re-adjust the e-brake so ir doesnt dis-engage the rear wheels so easily because I-ve now lost a few races from the handle floating up ever so slightly on a hard launch. Hence turning my car into one hell of a high powered FWD machine!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Try not to post about racing, its against forum rules and unsafe...

I have not driven my car with the hand brake up, but I would assume you will get massive wheel spin in FWD mode...

"Maybe" the car would be faster in 2nd and 3rd if it was in FWD mode, but lets face it, the car was meant to be 4WD and a touring car...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this guy here sounds really bright.
[/b]
Maybe I should try not to post on this forum beacuse you people only have negative things to say about most of us who are trying to share info.

I was just trying to share that you may all want to check the engagemant point of your e-brake handles because mine seems to be real sensitive. But I guess that just makes me seem stupid ot ignorant!h

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't see how u can make that hand brake flutter. mine is taught.
[/b]
Mine kinda bounces up and down when driving over a rough surface. "Or maybe I'm just not too bright?"

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Maybe I should try not to post on this forum beacuse you people only have negative things to say about most of us who are trying to share info.

[/b]
if your gonna post this kinda garbage on here, best not post here anymore. If you think you are being really smart buy pulling the ebrake and drag racing thinking you get 10% acceration........... I'm not gonna waste my energy why your post was idiotic.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was NOT pulling the ebrake while racing!! I was stating that my ebrake comes up bt itself a bit when accelerating hard which in turn disengages the rwd! Read before you start bashing people! Maybe its just becuase of my size that my leg is pushing on the ebrake! 6'6" 300lbs? IDK. I was just trying to help others. No need for me to be ridiculed for it. Thanks for making me feel like a POS. You're a real swell guy!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Mine kinda bounces up and down when driving over a rough surface. "Or maybe I'm just not too bright?"
[/b]
maybe u just got a fucked up car. take it to the dealer, thats not right.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I don't think anyone has had the balls to actually try this yet. Good on you WhiteMS6 for chewing up "your" tires for the better of all Speed 6's :cheers:

And, who's to say that he wasn't at the track? If you purchased the fastest best handling car Mazda has ever rolled out of the factory, are you not going to poke a Stang in the ribs? For those of you who bought the car because it's "pretty" or anything else other than what it's titled...SPEED... "YOU HAVE TOO MUCH BLOODY MONEY!" - Nicolas Cage

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I was NOT pulling the ebrake while racing!! I was stating that my ebrake comes up bt itself a bit when accelerating hard which in turn disengages the rwd! Read before you start bashing people! Maybe its just becuase of my size that my leg is pushing on the ebrake! 6'6" 300lbs? IDK. I was just trying to help others. No need for me to be ridiculed for it. Thanks for making me feel like a POS. You're a real swell guy!
[/b]
Damn and I thought I was a big guy ;)....

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
For what it's worth, the AWD system only engages when wheel-spin is detected. In a drag race this is only going to be when coming off the line and perhaps when power-shifting. If you're in second gear under full boost, your front wheels are already getting 100% of the power. Pulling the E-brake isn't going to pull power from the rear wheels because there is none at that point.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For what it's worth, the AWD system only engages when wheel-spin is detected. In a drag race this is only going to be when coming off the line and perhaps when power-shifting. If you're in second gear under full boost, your front wheels are already getting 100% of the power. Pulling the E-brake isn't going to pull power from the rear wheels because there is none at that point.
[/b]
Try it! you'll be surprised. The yaw sensors recognize the front to rear yaw and give 50/50 under hard acceleration. Wheel spin or not. Trust me, I've been there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What the hells everyones problem with thi guy? If you have never street raced in your life, your be called a liar. Im not talking about staged runs on some back roads like in the stupid movies. I am talking about running from a stoplight with no traffic just untill a few ticks over the speed limit for about 5 seconds. We have all done it!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yaw sensors?? How many different components control the rear diff? The drive shaft is spinning all the time right?
[/b]
it is spinning all the time but is engaged and disebgaged by an electromagnetic clutch. So it can be "freewheeling" when not directly connected to the tranny.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just so everyone knows even at very low throttle the Speed6 is NEVER 100% FWD (Only when the handbrake is up)...
[/b]
Exactly! And i was just trying to warn others that maybe your ebrake handles are very sensitive like mine. I was worried that we may have problems with our center diffs if the computer is engaging and disengaging the rear drive in a very fast fluttering action. Maybe nothing but I thought I'd share. I definately have a problem cause I see the brake light on the dash flash rapidle as the handle is bouncing around. I know this can't be good for the drivetrain.b

1 - 20 of 43 Posts