Mazda 6 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
How is screen visibility during the day? Does it get washed out by the sun?

yeah, commander worked, left to right and up and down, however rotary dial doesn't work. No big dial.
Everything is indeed plug and play, no need for splicing wires or bypassing canbus. Works with the Bose. All the buttons around commander knob work. I didn't get to re-program the buttons, I want one of the back buttons near commander to be "home" button, and voice command button on the steering wheel to be "mute". then I'll be happy.

Or even better, if I can make voice command button on the steering wheel (below volume and info buttons) into a Google Now button, that would be even sicker... Any suggestion how this could be done? not sure that you can make a button dedicated to an application...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did the commander worked as is on your GT (with nav I guess) or did you had to recable bypassing the Cambus module?
yeah, commander worked, left to right and up and down, however rotary dial doesn't work. No big dial.
Everything is indeed plug and play, no need for splicing wires or bypassing canbus. Works with the Bose. All the buttons around commander knob work. I didn't get to re-program the buttons, I want one of the back buttons near commander to be "home" button, and voice command button on the steering wheel to be "mute". then I'll be happy.

Or even better, if I can make voice command button on the steering wheel (below volume and info buttons) into a Google Now button, that would be even sicker... Any suggestion how this could be done? not sure that you can make a button dedicated to an application...

Let us know if you have any luck reprogramming. I haven't been able to do it. After pushing Start and the Function and then the button on the steering wheel it just invokes the existing function

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Let us know if you have any luck reprogramming. I haven't been able to do it. After pushing Start and the Function and then the button on the steering wheel it just invokes the existing function
I think the only way to re-program keys is if you use the K1/K2 physical wires. Those wires need to be manually assigned to a key. CANBUS automatically assigns a function to a key, and I don't think they can be overridden.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad to see that some people are getting everything (commander partially) to work. Do any of you that have installed one of the HU's in this thread have an MT? The reason I ask is because I was reading somewhere that MT cars have to do some "rewiring" in order for the backup cam to work.
I want to know what to expect before I pull the trigger on one of them.

I have a 2015 M6 Touring MT if it helps.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Glad to see that some people are getting everything (commander partially) to work. Do any of you that have installed one of the HU's in this thread have an MT? The reason I ask is because I was reading somewhere that MT cars have to do some "rewiring" in order for the backup cam to work.
I want to know what to expect before I pull the trigger on one of them.

I have a 2015 M6 Touring MT if it helps.
I have a 2015 MT and am waiting on the seller to send some more wires that will allegedly make it work. I'm not holding my breath.

If these new cables don't work, I'll be going the path that others have taken and adding a $7 12V-6V step down to power the camera.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i got mine installed today. works ass advertised. everything works so far. only thing is i cant pair my obdII unit for some reason. everything else is amazing. i have 2015 mazda6 touring w/ bose.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda6/comments/466bh4/2015_mazda6_touring_full_headunit_replacement/?ref=share&ref_source=link
Ran into the same issue. They told me to change the headunit's default bluetooth password from 1234 to 0000. I don't get it, but it then magically found the OBDII. You also have to search for it through their bluetooth app. My phone couldn't see it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ran into the same issue. They told me to change the headunit's default bluetooth password from 1234 to 0000. I don't get it, but it then magically found the OBDII. You also have to search for it through their bluetooth app. My phone couldn't see it
Worked like a charm! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
16,837 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wanted to add nav to my car, was considering factory, but now looking on here found some of these posts about upgrading the head unit. I'm a noob and not very knowledgeable about doing this stuff to my car(can just do the basics), so I want to make sure this is as easy as possible.

The only difference between how the Smart Rover 8" and 9" work is that the 8" has buttons and knobs where as the 9" doesn't? They both carry the same software, right? The 9" from a video posted on youtube was truly plug and play, with even the commander switch working in a limited way... would the 8" be potentially the same, or no? I have a '14 6 Touring, no navigation and no Bose. I like the look of the 8" since with the knobs it kinda looks more stock, and I can't break the habit of using the knob for volume control even after years of cars with steering wheel controls. I don't want anything too complicated, and cutting wires makes me too nervous, but I'd like the commander switch to work even if it were limited and only in certain apps.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Even though I agree the 8" looks closer to stock, the 9" seems to do the best job of maintaining the most stock functionality
- the 8" doesn't have the car services app that allows you to control the power locks, DRLs, etc like the 9" does.
- the 8" doesn't support the knob the way the 9" does, for some silly reason.

Those 2 things alone should be enough to make you consider the 9" instead. They have the same internal hardware and the same OS. But the 9" seems to be more refined for whatever reason. And since it has a larger screen it's just a no-brainer. I think you'll eventually get used to not having the volume knob. I do use my physical knob sometimes, but 90+% of the time I just use the steering wheel keys, as it's naturally the closest to you. I also never touch any of the keys on the sides, nor do I use the cd player. All useless to me. So I recommend the 9" over the 8", despite owning the 8".

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've looked through the forum and haven't seen an answer... I'm assuming you can receive text messages on the HU? I'm also assuming you don't have to select to download the message too like in the stock HU?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
no you can't receive text messages as far as I know. You can mirror link the phone to your HU though, so you see on your HU exactly what your phone is showing. If seeing texts while you drive is that important to you you might want to utilize the mirror link feature.

personally i've never felt the need to use that feature. I check texts when I'm stopped at a light or when I reach my destination.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
just so you guys are aware, there is a serious bug on these units that I want to make you all aware of. I've had the problem for a few months, but I didn't want to freak people out until I figured out the root cause.

This 8" unit has 2 microsd card slots. GPS & DVD. I decided I'd fill an sdcard full of tunes and put it in the dvd slot. It was a class 10 32GB card. After doing that my unit became unstable on boot. It would actually lock up during boot randomly (say once every 3-4 cold boots). It would require me to completely restart the unit by shutting off my car or pressing the reset button.

After removing the sdcard, the freezing went away. I am not sure if it's because it's a class 10 SD card, or there is something wrong w/ that "DVD" sdcard slot. Anyways, be careful with sd cards. If you get instability, try using a class 6 card, or even better, use USB instead. I have no problems at all w/ my USB storage.

Just fyi.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys, been looking over both threads on headunits and enjoyed the discussion. I was thinking about grabbing a unit in the aliexpress sale and wanted to get some final clarification from you folks.

My car: 2014 mazda 6 gt with stock navigation and bose audio system

From what I understand:
-the 9" units will retain ability to manage vehicle settings
-it is fairly plug and play
-there is a slight improvement in sound quality compared to stock?

Part I don't understand:
Kevin Zhang messaged me:
"You need to make some modification to work the joystick, but there a knob cannot work again. -- this is the feedback from our customers." This was his response to my car having stock navigation. I'm not sure what he means by this.
**Update** he clarified and said that the buttons around the knob will work, but the knob itself doesn't.

Unit i'm looking at:
9" HD 1024X600 Android 4.4 Car Stereo For Mazda 6 Atenza 2013 2014 2015 Auto Radio RDS GPS Glonass Navigation Audio Video Player-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Final thoughts from owners after using it a bit? (installation/function)
Command knob from users with navigation?

Cheers

·
Registered
193 Posts
Do a search for the Smart Rover Android HeadUnit post, it has more info about how the 9" works. I believe someone installed it that had factory nav. The joystick works, but not in all ways, turning it doesn't work(maybe what he was talking about when he says knob) and it's limited in how it works and only in certain apps that it works in.

I'm likely going to get the 9" at some point, waiting to pull the trigger until my wallet's ready though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Jen Jen looked over the other thread also. Received an email from one of the sellers and they mentioned for the gt model with navigation- I would need to do some rewiring to have the buttons around the knob work but the knob itself would not work.

Does anyone with navigation have any opinions or experience with that "rewiring" process?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Thanks Jen Jen looked over the other thread also. Received an email from one of the sellers and they mentioned for the gt model with navigation- I would need to do some rewiring to have the buttons around the knob work but the knob itself would not work.

Does anyone with navigation have any opinions or experience with that "rewiring" process?
wonder if it's the same seller I had. I did this mod on page 3 of this thread -
http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical/373737-here-example-top-notch-m6-android-hu-3.html

Works good and very easy to do. Advantage of doing the wiring yourself is you can assign your own functions to each button.

161 - 180 of 253 Posts