Mazda 6 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, you need to set all of that before you remove the factory headunit. It will retain all the info in the car's systems, but you won't be able to change it unless you put the factory back in.
Then this won't work for me. I want to retain all the existing functionality and the commander nob. Not worth the $$ and hassle. Won't improve the resale value.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Then this won't work for me. I want to retain all the existing functionality and the commander nob. Not worth the $$ and hassle. Won't improve the resale value.
So generally from what I understand, a trade-in value is rarely improved from an aftermarket HU. The recommendations I've read suggest to put the factory unit back into the vehicle before you try to trade in the car because if anything it can lower the trade-in value.

Once I can find a solution that works and fits the 2016, I'm not doing it for the resale value. I'm going to do it for my sanity and because I seethe at the broken and terrible Mazda UX.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Almost no aftermarket work improves resale value. I'd recommend just keeping the head unit in a closet until you go to sell the car and throw it back in. I hate the commander knob personally, so I lost no functionality.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Right, will wait until all the functionality can be used.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice find! That is not a joying (KLD) ROM, that is a KED rom, which is what mine (and most of these other variants we are looking at on aliexpress) is based on. I have the same problem trying to launch the app tho, it just closes right away. I have a feeling it is trying to call some sort of file or app that doesn't exist.
Even though I have the right hardware to accept that firmware, I don't have the balls to try it. Don't care to brick my unit, but if I can find a way to install recovery (or if I can find a way to load ROMs without booting into the main settings) it might be worth trying. I might try to see if I can extract the files somehow and search for something canbus related.
I know I'm just looking into getting one, but saw this, and don't know if you found an answer. What you need to do is root the device and put the file into the system app folder and change the settings to R-RW-RW

·
Registered
76 Posts
got my 9" HU fully working, cam, joystick, BOSE and all. Extremely happy. The only snag was connecting two naked wires labeled AMP CON on both sides (not fully plug and play) but in the end, everything was labeled and everything works flawlessly!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
So the active speaker does work but Ok Google doesn't launch. I installed the Google launcher so I expected it to work. If I manually start it and then speak it recognizes my voice. I can live with that but would love for it to work as Google intended haha.

Hisma, was there anything special you had to do to get the OBII to work?
interesting. when i installed google launcher "ok google" works from anywhere on the home screen. One thing I did though is root the unit w/ kingroot
[ROOT ANDROID][2.x-5.1] KINGROOT: The One-Cl… | Android Development and Hacking
then I downloaded the newest google now launcher from xda. You may or may not be able to install the latest google now launcher without root, but rooting the unit does not hurt it in any way. I also installed titanium backup and got rid of some of the apps I never use.

As for OBDII, if bluetooth is not reading it, see if your phone can see it. If both your phone and your unit aren't seeing it, you got a bad module. Those ELM327 modules are really cheap and are known to be unreliable. You can try another higher quality module from amazon. You should be able to use any android compatible BT OBDII module. Worst-case you can use a USB OBDII module.

·
Registered
20 Posts
interesting. when i installed google launcher "ok google" works from anywhere on the home screen. One thing I did though is root the unit w/ kingroot
[ROOT ANDROID][2.x-5.1] KINGROOT: The One-Cl… | Android Development and Hacking
then I downloaded the newest google now launcher from xda. You may or may not be able to install the latest google now launcher without root, but rooting the unit does not hurt it in any way. I also installed titanium backup and got rid of some of the apps I never use.

As for OBDII, if bluetooth is not reading it, see if your phone can see it. If both your phone and your unit aren't seeing it, you got a bad module. Those ELM327 modules are really cheap and are known to be unreliable. You can try another higher quality module from amazon. You should be able to use any android compatible BT OBDII module. Worst-case you can use a USB OBDII module.

thanks. i think my obii is busted since my phone cant see in. i got a extra camera and it works when plugged into the video in aux rca through the aux app. Dont see anything when plugged into the fcam rca. Any ideas how to get the fcam input working?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
thanks. i think my obii is busted since my phone cant see in. i got a extra camera and it works when plugged into the video in aux rca through the aux app. Dont see anything when plugged into the fcam rca. Any ideas how to get the fcam input working?
sorry haven't tried using that feature.

btw do you guys use the delay shutoff feature? It's nice so that the unit instantly turns on, but the annoying thing is that my audio doesn't pause when the unit is turned off. It instead keeps playing somehow while the unit is offline. Real annoying. Think I might need to make some tasker macro to automate this, but I shouldn't have to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The lockscreen would be useful when I take my car in for service or valet. would be nice to protect any personal data that I might have on the unit.

I did activate the delay shutoff but haven't noticed the audio playing. The lights are on the unit stay on but that's about it. Maybe because I have the bose amp.

·
Registered
22 Posts
got my 9" HU fully working, cam, joystick, BOSE and all. Extremely happy. The only snag was connecting two naked wires labeled AMP CON on both sides (not fully plug and play) but in the end, everything was labeled and everything works flawlessly!
Which HU did you get? I was thinking about getting the 9" one and wondering of that was the one you got?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
ROM support the R16 is non-existent unfortunately. No canbus for me makes it tough to justify, and RK3188 isn't exactly a new chip... it's available in other android HUs for nearly a year now. 2GB of RAM is nice, but for me it's not enough of an upgrade to justify dropping canbus.

Of course it is at least a fit for our HU so less cutting & splicing than a universal HU, and it will look clean & not ugly like the universal double dins, so if it makes sense to you go for it. You seem to be knowledgeable enough to get most stock functions working w/o a fully plug & play setup.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did the commander worked as is on your GT (with nav I guess) or did you had to recable bypassing the Cambus module?
yeah, commander worked, left to right and up and down, however rotary dial doesn't work. No big dial.
Everything is indeed plug and play, no need for splicing wires or bypassing canbus. Works with the Bose. All the buttons around commander knob work. I didn't get to re-program the buttons, I want one of the back buttons near commander to be "home" button, and voice command button on the steering wheel to be "mute". then I'll be happy.

Or even better, if I can make voice command button on the steering wheel (below volume and info buttons) into a Google Now button, that would be even sicker... Any suggestion how this could be done? not sure that you can make a button dedicated to an application...

141 - 160 of 253 Posts