Mazda 6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Hisma, you have BOSE right?
Got my unit today and it had that extra Bose amplifier cable that hooks into canbus then goes to the unit RCA harness. Guess what? no sound. At all. Checked everything and still no sound. I got the cam to work of that same harness, no problems, but no sound from my stereo....
I hooked the old unit back up and everything works fine. One strange thing was that once I hooked the old unit up, sound was muted and sound at zero... turn it up and no problems... very curious. My buddy will be installing the same exact unit tomorrow, but he has a Touring without BOSE.

Any advice??? thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
I don't have the BOSE actually, sorry. Seems you are not the first person to have problems integrating this thing w/ the bose system. I still am not 100% convinced it is the unit's fault tho. Can you show me a pic of what you have? Maybe I can help just by looking at your connectors. I want to see what the bose amp actually looks like.

I attached the wiring diagrams which may also help. So it looks like you need to make sure that you not only connect your speaker inputs from your amp to your HU, make sure you also provide power for your amp, since the OEM HU provides power to your amp normally. There is an "amp cont" connector on the new HU that you might need to tap in to to give it power. Also need to give it a ground.

edit: linked image since attachment compressed the hell outta it

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
thanks for a quick response man!
you're absolutely right, there is amp-con and ground wires coming out of DVR/Mic connection from the unit. However, there's no where to plug those in? So this thing is definitely not plug and play with Bose!?!

here's the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
thanks for a quick response man!
you're absolutely right, there is amp-con and ground wires coming out of DVR/Mic connection from the unit. However, there's no where to plug those in? So this thing is definitely not plug and play with Bose!?!

here's the pic
not necessarily. There should be a connector that looks like this that connected to your OEM HU. You will need to look for that connector, and then make sure your new HU has a way of connecting to these 2 wires -

Those wires that I circled in red are what should be providing power to your amp. Check if you can find them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
there are two RCA connectors, red and what that say AUX RIN, and AUX LIN... those I didn't hook up to the BOSE Harness, and I have a a sneaky feeling that somehow they provide the power, lol... will try tomorrow... or tonight

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ive been emailing smartrover back and forth. they sent me this pic on how to connect the bose cable. from the pic it looks like the bose cable connects to the cable that connects to #4 connector on the HU. this provides the audio. however. the connector is male like on the bose cable so they cant connect. Im trying to get them to send me a new cable bit going in circles with them.

subzero, it looks like you have the same issue. can you confirm. Id like to not have to cut the wires to test my theory, but running out of options.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Ive been emailing smartrover back and forth. they sent me this pic on how to connect the bose cable. from the pic it looks like the bose cable connects to the cable that connects to #4 connector on the HU. this provides the audio. however. the connector is male like on the bose cable so they cant connect. Im trying to get them to send me a new cable bit going in circles with them.

subzero, it looks like you have the same issue. can you confirm. Id like to not have to cut the wires to test my theory, but running out of options.
sounds like the run-around I got when claiming the commander knob wasn't working. They try to help but ultimately don't know the answer. You will likely need to figure out yourself. These guys don't design these things, they just manufacture and sell them.

I am still convinced you can get it to work, though you may need to do some mods. You need to send low level inputs to the amp, which come from the HU pre-outs. So you need to connect the bose cable to the HU pre-outs somehow. If they are both male cables you might need to simply include a gender changer. Then the last thing is you need to provide power to the bose amp. I posted the harness that provides power to the amp. So find a way to connect 12V & ground on those pins (if they are not already pinned on the HU side) and you should be good.

Doesn't fix the fact that it's not plug & play, but I wouldn't expect smart rover to manufacture a new cable on short notice. You'll just have to find a way to make it work.

·
Registered
733 Posts
sounds like the run-around I got when claiming the commander knob wasn't working. They try to help but ultimately don't know the answer. You will likely need to figure out yourself. These guys don't design these things, they just manufacture and sell them.

I am still convinced you can get it to work, though you may need to do some mods. You need to send low level inputs to the amp, which come from the HU pre-outs. So you need to connect the bose cable to the HU pre-outs somehow. If they are both male cables you might need to simply include a gender changer. Then the last thing is you need to provide power to the bose amp. I posted the harness that provides power to the amp. So find a way to connect 12V & ground on those pins (if they are not already pinned on the HU side) and you should be good.

Doesn't fix the fact that it's not plug & play, but I wouldn't expect smart rover to manufacture a new cable on short notice. You'll just have to find a way to make it work.
On that note, If your Radio model # starts off with a KR and numbers like mines KR-9016 then it's a Kaier Branded radio.. You can try and contact the manufacturer if it is to try and get help in that area with the BOSE setup.

Shenzhen Kaier car dvd factory Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

http://www.szkaier.com/show_imgnews.asp?id=851

·
Registered
76 Posts

honestly I think that I will get it to work just fine, I simply forgot to give it power. I will try tomorrow night again and report here. You can tell from my pics that there are additional white and red RCA cables that I forgot to plug that are coming out of the power harness straight from the car (there are three connections on it, red RCA, white RCA and camera power).

·
Registered
20 Posts
my unit started working. i connected it up the same way as you had it last night with the amp con power connected and it didn't work. this morning, i pulled the bose fuse (and broke it). i replaced it and sound started working. maybe i had a loose connection somewhere, but glad it's working now.

on another note, the obii bluetooth that i also got doesn't show up when I search for it. is there something I need to do to make it searchable?

·
Registered
76 Posts
my unit started working. i connected it up the same way as you had it last night with the amp con power connected and it didn't work. this morning, i pulled the bose fuse (and broke it). i replaced it and sound started working. maybe i had a loose connection somewhere, but glad it's working now.

on another note, the obii bluetooth that i also got doesn't show up when I search for it. is there something I need to do to make it searchable?
Hey, I still can't get it to work. When you say amp con connected do you mean the bare wire that doesn't have a connector? Where would you plug that in?

·
Registered
20 Posts
so wait, did you hook up the Red and White AUX cables to the BOSE connector?
yes i did. not sure its needed for the audio to work

Hey, I still can't get it to work. When you say amp con connected do you mean the bare wire that doesn't have a connector? Where would you plug that in?
i connected the two amp con wires together. just twisted them together

·
Registered
733 Posts
So Kevin was right he told me, depending on your setup BOSE or No BOSE, all wires labeled need to connect to each other of the same label. If you do not have Bose then you do not need to worry about the AMP con wires or the extra RCA cables. If you do have BOSE then all rca and amp con needs to be connected between harness/bose connector and HU.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you guys use the mic provided or does the stock one work? I connected the mic and doesn't seem to work. Do I need to provide power?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Did you guys use the mic provided or does the stock one work? I connected the mic and doesn't seem to work. Do I need to provide power?
stock one won't work. it's an active mic and needs to be powered. Use the provided mic, you can put it in the exact same spot as the stock mic. Stock mic is held in by weak adhesive and has a harness connector, so you don't have to cut wires to remove it. Access it by opening the sunglass holder & dropping the 2 screws in there. Then run the provided mic up the a pillar into that spot & swap out the stock mic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
stock one won't work. it's an active mic and needs to be powered. Use the provided mic, you can put it in the exact same spot as the stock mic. Stock mic is held in by weak adhesive and has a harness connector, so you don't have to cut wires to remove it. Access it by opening the sunglass holder & dropping the 2 screws in there. Then run the provided mic up the a pillar into that spot & swap out the stock mic.
how do you power the active mic? I didn't see a power wire for it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
no idea, I wouldn't even attempt it. It is so easy to just use the provided mic I would just use that. Attempting to integrate the stock mic would require cutting wires & probably some form of voltage step down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So the active speaker does work but Ok Google doesn't launch. I installed the Google launcher so I expected it to work. If I manually start it and then speak it recognizes my voice. I can live with that but would love for it to work as Google intended haha.

Hisma, was there anything special you had to do to get the OBII to work?

121 - 140 of 253 Posts