Mazda 6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
That really bums me out. I was eyeing the 2016 Touring. Now I'm seriously rethinking that.
16's are going to get full android auto/apple support anyway, you don't need separate head unit. and if you wanted one check out the work they've already done on Mazda 3 which has similar config and pop-up screen as 2016 Six. They have full working plug and play android units for them, so they will have it for the 6 also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those new head units? The YouTube video has comments linking to eBay auctions similar to the item you linked to. So a new head unit may be possible for the 2016 6s.

I don't understand your previous comment about a new head unit not being necessary. Not trying to be difficult, I honestly just don't understand.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those new head units? The YouTube video has comments linking to eBay auctions similar to the item you linked to. So a new head unit may be possible for the 2016 6s.

I don't understand your previous comment about a new head unit not being necessary. Not trying to be difficult, I honestly just don't understand.
I think what he meant, Although I have not seen it anywhere as concrete yet, other than a written commitment from Mazda, that 2016+ models will get software updates to Carplay & Android Auto which would not require getting another headunit if that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, Mad. All I've been able to locate so far is just Mazda committing to Android Auto, and not necessarily updating current systems to it. I understand v55 has references to Car Play from Apple, and I think to Android Auto with Google. I'm hopeful, but cautiously optimistic.

I guess there's always some custom stuff if needed.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks, Mad. All I've been able to locate so far is just Mazda committing to Android Auto, and not necessarily updating current systems to it. I understand v55 has references to Car Play from Apple, and I think to Android Auto with Google. I'm hopeful, but cautiously optimistic.

I guess there's always some custom stuff if needed.
@Demiurge
Have a read here, some interesting stuff going on over there, and lots of talk about v60 software update speculations for the 2016 models.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda3/comments/3dbdv2/infotainment_update_and_information/

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think what he meant, Although I have not seen it anywhere as concrete yet, other than a written commitment from Mazda, that 2016+ models will get software updates to Carplay & Android Auto which would not require getting another headunit if that's what you're looking for.
its still my understanding that with android auto, youre very limited to what you can do, especially while youre moving. from what ive seen (and I havnt looked in a while so I could certainly be wrong), its almost like pioneer's appradio, where theres like a dozen apps that work, and many of them dont allow input while youre moving, rather than full andorid like you get from one of these headunits

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
its still my understanding that with android auto, youre very limited to what you can do, especially while youre moving. from what ive seen (and I havnt looked in a while so I could certainly be wrong), its almost like pioneer's appradio, where theres like a dozen apps that work, and many of them dont allow input while youre moving, rather than full andorid like you get from one of these headunits
this is true. limited selection of compatible apps, and even the "compatible" apps still have stability issues. For instance, you get google maps, but you don't get waze. You certainly won't have google now either. No torque, no poweramp, etc. Android auto still has a ways to go but it is a step in the right direction.

For the time being I still see a full android HU as a better solution than android auto HUs. For me, anyway.

·
Registered
142 Posts
WARNING: 10" unit does not fit in Mazda 6. Has a bump that is not on the CX-5.

Pics of the rest of the unit. Picasa Album

Seller promised Quad Core and Android 4.4 but received Dual Core and Android 4.1. Everything works including the car settings. Calls are way better than the Car Joying. Commander working is unknown since I have a Sport Auto.

Unless anyone with a CX-5 wants this. It is going back. 0 and 2 on Android units that fits perfectly. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Wow that is bad luck dude. That infuriates me that your seller bsed you that bad. Proof that you have to be really careful when dealing with alibaba sellers. At least I can say that smart rover is an honest seller that is also responsive and attempts to be helpful.

It's also widely known that mic and bt quality on carjoying is awful. These units are def much better there. Carjoying has excellent support and updates though. If you decide to give it one more go you should deal with smart rover and get my unit or the 9" unit.

Question : can you please send the car service apk if you can manage to access it? I wonder if it is different than the one posted earlier. That'd be awesome if it worked

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hisma,

did you have to do anything special to get the bluetooth OBII to pair? Mine doesn't seem to be discoverable when I tried looking for it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Hisma,

did you have to do anything special to get the bluetooth OBII to pair? Mine doesn't seem to be discoverable when I tried looking for it.
your OBDII adapter should show up when you press the search button in the bt settings. When it comes up there, long-press the adapter, and press "ok". This will get the unit to pair with the adapter. Then torque can see it.

If your adapter is not showing up at all in BT settings, you might have gotten a bad unit. on xda I hear a lot of complaints about the cheap OBDII adapters (the $5 ones they sell on aliexpress). Try buying a higher quality model on amazon if that's the case. The seller will tell you you need to use their specific adapter but that is not true.

Last thing to try is to make sure your smartphone can see the adapter. That will narrow down if the problem is your unit and not the adapter. Even if that is the case I'd still try a better quality adapter.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
The OBDLink MX (it's not cheap) can see the OTHER CANbuses on the Mazda -- the inexpensive ELM 327s cannot. Whether that's worth it to you depends.....

101 - 120 of 253 Posts