Mazda 6 Forums banner

221 - 240 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Also - I have this connector in my dash that was in the factory radio but nothing on the Smart Rover unit fits this. What is this plug for?

Here is the female side on the back of the factory radio:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I got my head unit today, finally. Once it finally actually shipped it got here QUICK. Literally shipped from China last night and had it this afternoon here in Dallas.

I didn't get home from work until after it was already dark so I couldn't mess with the unit too much, but I did set it in place and did a really basic hook up on it. Some of the harnesses I'm not really sure what they're for. Unfortunately, one of my harnesses has a wire that came un-crimped out of the connector:

I'm wondering if I really need this harness anyway. Is the one labeled 3G USB simply an input for a 3G modem? I definitely will not be using one of those. Likewise, is the one labeled DVD USB an input for a DVD player? If so, I don't care about that either and thankfully this damaged harness is not an issue for me.
If I remember correctly, that yellow harness connector goes directly into the back of the HU.

Each male harness connector has a small notch on the side so it can only go into one of the female connectors on the back of the HU. Gently try plugging into each of the slots on the back of the HU until you find the one that fits. You may not need or use the modem USB or the DVD USB but you'll likely want that canbus cable plugged in.

A couple of observations:

1) The buttons on my unit are all red! I guess it's silly to be upset about this because the listing clearly states that the buttons light up red, but the fact that all you guys got white buttons gave me false hope I guess. I really hate red buttons and interior lights in cars so this is a real bummer. I don't suppose that the color is changeable in settings or something?

2) I hooked up the GPS antenna but it does not seem to be working. Does it need to be turned on somehow in settings? Is the GPS signal for some reason dependent on a data connection? I did not have wifi connected. Is there another trick other than just making sure the GPS antenna is hooked up? When I open the GPS app it seems to think I'm in San Antonio for some reason even though I'm in Dallas, although it doesn't seem to actually be locating me because it shows "looking for GPS signal". Maybe it just defaults to San Antonio as some sort of demo location for all I know. Regardless, is there something extra I should be doing to properly enable GPS?

For 1) Not silly at all. The glow light plays a large aesthetic role and helps tie the different components of the car together rather than making it look like a chop shop of aftermarket parts. It's my understanding that the glow light color can be changed within the HUs settings. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you exactly where because I had told the seller before hand that I wanted the lights white so they were already white when I received it.

For 2) GPS does not require any data connection to detect your position. It could be that you positioned the GPS antenna in such a position that it doesn't get a strong signal. Where did you place the antenna? There's two apps on the HU that will display the GPS signal strength in real time. I ended up placing the GPS antenna in the same location as the stock GPS antenna per @guy989 suggestion here. Also are you inside a garage? My signal strength drops significantly inside my garage where I did my original install.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also - I have this connector in my dash that was in the factory radio but nothing on the Smart Rover unit fits this. What is this plug for?

I did not have this connector. What year and trim is your car? Do you have the factory tech package?

·
Registered
733 Posts

You no longer able to use it on the aftermarket radio, That connector is the USB wire for the Factory USB in center console.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If I remember correctly, that yellow harness connector goes directly into the back of the HU.

Each male harness connector has a small notch on the side so it can only go into one of the female connectors on the back of the HU. Gently try plugging into each of the slots on the back of the HU until you find the one that fits. You may not need or use the modem USB or the DVD USB but you'll likely want that canbus cable plugged in.
Oh I did find where everything plugs in - I just wanted to confirm that this damaged harness is irrelevant to me because I will not be using a 3G modem dongle or care to play an external DVD USB player or anything like that (assuming that is indeed what those USB plugs are for).

For 1) Not silly at all. The glow light plays a large aesthetic role and helps tie the different components of the car together rather than making it look like a chop shop of aftermarket parts. It's my understanding that the glow light color can be changed within the HUs settings. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you exactly where because I had told the seller before hand that I wanted the lights white so they were already white when I received it.
I couldn't find it at all in the settings last night. All I could find was general screen brightness and whatnot. I'm suspecting that I may be SOL and they aren't able to be changed. My fault for just assuming mine would come white despite the ad listing red as y'alls came white.

For 2) GPS does not require any data connection to detect your position. It could be that you positioned the GPS antenna in such a position that it doesn't get a strong signal. Where did you place the antenna? There's two apps on the HU that will display the GPS signal strength in real time. I ended up placing the GPS antenna in the same location as the stock GPS antenna per @guy989 suggestion here. Also are you inside a garage? My signal strength drops significantly inside my garage where I did my original install.
No I was outside in the driveway and I just had the GPS antenna kind of loosely sitting amongst the wiring. I did find the two apps that showed GPS signal strength but it was gibberish to me. Thanks for the heads up on placing the antennas in that center dash grille. I'll try again tonight.

I did not have this connector. What year and trim is your car? Do you have the factory tech package?
Mine is a 2014 manual transmission "Sport" trim. It does not have factory Bose, factory tech package, factory backup cam or anything like that.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes you need it, It is for USB function of the radio allowing you to connect flash drives to unit, and canbus need to connect the can bus connector on harness, If I remember correctly for your radio to function correctly.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
yeah you definitely want to fix that canbus connector. That sucks that it was severed somehow. What I would do is first see if you can rig it with a butt splice or some other solid splice connection. If you can't, take a picture and send it to smartrover, demanding a replacement. I'm sure they'll oblige as something like that would be a minor cost to them.

The USB connector isn't a necessity, there's no way to mate that connector with your unit unless you buy a converter cable on ebay. I bought one, connected it, and it still didn't work. So I just leave it disconnected. For usb I just used an extension cable and have it accessed though my glovebox.

As for the lighting, that sucks, I didn't actually ask them to change it, but it just happened to show up that way (it's been so long that I may be mistaken, but I know it came stock as white).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, the problem isn't just that the wire was severed, it was rather pulled entirely off the crimp from the internal pin. I can look in there and see the little "arms" sticking up that I assume should be pressed down around the wire. I need to try to de-pin it somehow and fix that crimp and then re-pin it. I have some experience de-pinning/re-pinning automotive ECU plugs but this harness end is TINY and I can't really see how to get in there to do it. I messaged Smart Rover and while I'm sure they'll probably mail me a replacement that'll be another month of waiting.

I'm sure I can figure something out to repair the harness myself I just want to fully understand the function.

Okay, so this gray wire in question in my dash is for the USB in the center console. @MadStyle says that there is no way to keep that - is that the case even with an adapter? Something like this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-Car-audio-CD-player-TO-USB-connection-FEMALE-To-navigate-CABLE-FOR-TOYOTA-EZ-RAV4/32575197727.html?spm=2114.40010508.4.117.C2vzua

Is this the type of adapter you bought @Hisma that you said didn't work? I guess I'm still confused about my damaged connector. The damaged connector is the only thing on my HU or any of the harnesses that contains a USB plug(s) yet they are labeled 3G and DVD.

You said you bought an extender and have it in your glovebox. Where exactly does this connect with your Android HU? Does it just plug into "3G" or "DVD"?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Yeah I'd still request a replacement, and while I was waiting, try to fix the existing connector.
@MadStyle is correct, even with that adapter, it still doesn't work. My only guess is that mazda swapped some pins on their harness in comparison to others which is why that adapter doesn't work. It fits, but doesn't operate as a full-fledged USB connection. I have a feeling if someone was determined, they could figure out a way to make it work, but it was never worth the hassle to me.

The USB plugs labeled 3G and DVD are just standard USB 2.0 connectors. They provide .5 amps of power, and allow you to connect devices like thumb drives, USB-powered 3G modems, etc. I just used a USB to USB extension cable to extend the length. Pretty sure the unit comes with one. You can even connect a usb hub to get extra USB ports out of a single connection, but be mindful of the .5 amps... don't expect it to power devices that need a lot of power. Thumb drives etc work fine tho.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah I'd still request a replacement, and while I was waiting, try to fix the existing connector.
@MadStyle is correct, even with that adapter, it still doesn't work. My only guess is that mazda swapped some pins on their harness in comparison to others which is why that adapter doesn't work. It fits, but doesn't operate as a full-fledged USB connection. I have a feeling if someone was determined, they could figure out a way to make it work, but it was never worth the hassle to me.

The USB plugs labeled 3G and DVD are just standard USB 2.0 connectors. They provide .5 amps of power, and allow you to connect devices like thumb drives, USB-powered 3G modems, etc. I just used a USB to USB extension cable to extend the length. Pretty sure the unit comes with one. You can even connect a usb hub to get extra USB ports out of a single connection, but be mindful of the .5 amps... don't expect it to power devices that need a lot of power. Thumb drives etc work fine tho.
Thank you, that really clears up a lot for me. I was getting hung up on the labels thinking they were specific to a DVD player or 3G modem vs. just being standard USB connectors that could connect to just about anything.

About a plug and play adapter for my factory USB wire that is now hanging useless in the dash - is this the adapter you bought @Hisma?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2SJ1WW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It doesn't even look like my gray harness in my dash would even plug into that. I'd really like to get the factory USB plug working though. If I knew that would at least plug in I'd buy it and attempt to modify it but it really doesn't look like it'll fit my plug.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Okay, so last night I positioned the GPS antenna in the spot that @Habaku mentioned and it actually works now. Seems like a spot perfect to be rattley and annoying though as they sit in there pretty loose. I preemptively sort of stuffed some old t shirt fabric in there to fill up the gaps and hopefully prevent the antennas from rattling in the future.

Still no word back from Smart Rover on the damaged harness. I messed with it last night with a couple of small needles and couldn't get it de-pinned. My buddy has an actual de-pin kit that I'll try on lunch today.

I peeled the fabric tape off and the green wire is going to the "3G USB" plug. So I should still be able to use it as a charger just not to read data - assuming their wire colors are correct - the green wire should be the data+ wire (with white being data-, red being 5V+, and black being ground). I'll just have to remember the "3G USB" is charge only vs the "DVD USB" being able to read data.

Moving on, I had the HU hooked up in my car for about 30 minutes last night playing around with it. It was only 50 degrees outside and obviously inside the car was pretty cool as well as I wasn't running the heater or anything. When I turned the car off and went to unplug/remove the HU it was pretty darn hot on the actual metal casing. I didn't even have it fully installed, just sitting in there temporarily.

Being this hot after only 30 minutes on a 50 degree night I can't imagine how hot it'll be during an August day here in Dallas. Is this normal in your experience @MadStyle @Hisma @Habaku?

I'm confused by some of the harnesses and wiring. Why does the external microphone have a "CAM-LINE" wire as well as an "AMP-CON" wire? What do those do?

I'm also trying to figure out where my (aftermarket) backup camera will plug in. Since I don't have the stock camera I assume I won't be using #13 . Am I supposed to use #3 ? If I use #3 , will the rear camera automatically display on the screen when activated by the reverse lights? I do not want to have to manually select something on the HU to get the backup camera to display.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
@james92se my unit survived summer in Houston without any issues. You should have nothing to worry about, though I do of course wonder about consistency of build quality, seeing as we all have somewhat different issues to deal with in regards to that.

Cam signal is for a backup camera connection. The amp con is just a switched +12V signal that can be used to power whatever you feel like. Many people use it to turn on an amplifier, but you could also use it for a dash cam, for instance.

You could get by with just 1 USB port by the way. Just buy a cheap usb hub and stick it in your glove box. That should give you 3 usb connections you can use for various things. I think most of us don't do much else other than put a thumb drive in there. I don't know of anyone here that using screen mirroring... I have yet to try it personally.

·
Registered
119 Posts
@Hisma I really appreciate you hanging around this thread and continuing to give input. Yeah, I'm definitely not worried about the loss of that USB port. I was mainly concerned about the damaged harness just only in the case of potentially it affecting the CANBUS stuff.

Do you have any thoughts on which cam line I should hook my aftermarket camera video line to to insure that it cuts in automatically when reverse is engaged? For all I know they could all operate the same but I won't be able to really mess with it for a few more days so I'm trying to figure all this out ahead of time.

What stinks for me this time of year with the short days is that I don't get home until it's already dark outside and it's difficult trying to mess with stuff out in the driveway in the dark. Usually I could use the garage but I have my brother's S2000 project in my garage since he needed to borrow my lift a "few days" that has now turned into months lol.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So, I played around with my HU again last night and test wired my aftermarket backup camera to a battery and, as is, the only way I can get the backup camera to display on the HU is to use the "aux-vin" labeled RCA connector on the harness that contains the big jumble of RCA connectors. None of the others work, even the ones labeled as camera. Further, it will only display on the screen if I manually press the "mode" hard button to cycle over to the "aux" setting (which takes forever), or alternatively I can press the audio cable looking icon on the screen seen here:

The problem with this is that I don't want to have to manually do this each time. It also turns my music off and then afterwards I have to manually turn the music back on.

Since I don't have the factory backup camera I obviously don't have the built-in wiring harness connector for it. I need to mimic the factory setup and trigger the Android HU to operate like stock to display my backup camera automatically, but I need to understand how the factory stuff fits together with this Android HU wiring.

Can one of you factory backup camera guys who own this Android HU help me out here?

What I need is to determine with 100% certainty that THIS white connector plugs into the factory backup camera harness in your dash. This should be it based on the fact that it's got a camera RCA and that I have nothing to plug into it, but want to make sure:

If so, I need to know what exactly you did with the camera RCA line coming off of the connector in question:

Does it plug into the "cam" female RCA on the Android HU bundle? Like this:

If all the above is true, I believe I just need to worry about two wires now. I say only worry about two wires because I should be able to run the camera cable straight from my camera to this female connector on the RCA bundle:

This will bypass the male RCA camera dongle hanging off the white connector in question and thus I won't need to worry about those two terminals. I'll just be left with the orange wire and a black ground wire that I'll need to feed presumably with a signal from the reverse lights:

·
Registered
119 Posts
After getting schooled on this by my brother and buddy over lunch, I see I was thinking about this backwards. I don't need to "feed" the orange and black wire. Instead, THOSE "feed" my camera.

I believe that I can probably just cut that white connector off and run the orange wire straight to my camera positive and black wire to my camera ground.

The only question would be whether or not my base model manual transmission body side stuff is even wired to recognize and signal the camera wire when reverse is engaged. I'm really curious if the base model wiring harness even has the wiring for it on the body side. Guess I won't know until I get home to check it out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ugh well I figured that might have been too easy. I just took a look at my harness from my Smart Rover HU and it doesn't even have a pin on the connector that would mate up with the body side reverse signal wire.

Reverse signal pin is 1M and my Smart Rover is just blank on that spot.

Factory harness (this would be factory with backup camera, obviously):

And my Smart Rover harness:

So, womp.

This now makes me wonder if I got this sort of "barren" setup because I told Smart Rover my car was the base model manual transmission version. I didn't think ahead that it might cause me this issue. They wanted to be told specifically what year/trim I had so I just told them without thought.

Did any of you guys with the Smart Rover unit have the harness that is actually pinned on the 1M/reverse signal lead? I would suspect surely so for the factory backup camera to function plug and play.
@Habaku - if you don't have yours permanently installed, maybe you could check your Smart Rover harness for me?

I could add my own terminal to that spot, but the problem is I'm not sure where the other end of the wire would run. I suspect it would probably go to that canbus decoder but I wouldn't want to speculate or guess.

This might all be moot anyway if my body side factory harness has no reverse signal wire to start with. I'll have to check that when I get home. Sucks trying to figure all this stuff out remotely from work lol.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Okay so got home from work and got to testing with the multimeter. The stock harness DOES spit out 12V at pin 1M when reverse is engaged. So that's good.

It's the white wire with red stripe for future reference for anybody (again this is a 2014 Sport trim with manual transmission):

Now my problem again is that the Smart Rover harness isn't pinned on this reverse signal wire unfortunately.

If any of you guys with unit could point out where that wire routes on the Smart Rover unit that would really help me out. I could replicate it if I knew where it routed

·
Registered
119 Posts
@james92se, i went through all that already. See here -

http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical/373737-here-example-top-notch-m6-android-hu-6.html

If you follow the steps in that post & the other thread I linked, you'll be good to go. I think you are having the same issue I had.
Dang I see you already pointed out the reverse trigger wire over a year ago here http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical/314481-rear-view-camera-aftermarket-hu-2.html#post4538610

Wish I would've seen that, that would've saved me a lot of time yesterday lol.

Anyway, okay, I see from that post that it appears your Android HU did NOT have a wire that corresponded to the factory reverse trigger wire just like mine. Correct?

It also says that you wired your factory reverse trigger wire to the reverse trigger wire on the Android HU which for you was labeled "back". How did you find or determine this? I have no wires on my Android HU labeled "back".

I guess if the Android trigger wire does not need to go to the canbus box and if I indeed have some sort of dedicated Android HU reverse trigger wire then I should be in business. Any chance at all that you remember which harness on the Android HU this "back" wire was attached to?

I wonder now actually if I could just wire my factory reverse trigger wire to the orange wire on the white Android HU connector that I was questioning above. I'm rolling my rear fenders right now but after I'm done mess around with the Android. Thanks for your input man.

221 - 240 of 253 Posts