Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 12" Kicker subs that put out about 1200 watts. When I first hooked it up the lights would dim really bad when the bass hits, so I installed a farad. I was told this would eliminate the lights dimming, but it didn't. What else can I do?

·
Registered
944 Posts
1. Ensure you have a really good ground running from the amps.
2. Do the BIG 3 grounding solution in the engine bay.
How big of a capacitor did you install (im guessing 1 farad) probably not enough Im running a 5 farad capacitor and lights still dim when I really turn it up.
3. I would install a bigger capacitor (5 or so)

and Im sure others will chime in with other ideas, but this is all I can think of right now (just woke up)

·
Registered
20 Posts
You could buy a more efficient amplifier, Put in a high out put alternator, Add an extra battery, Get a better capacitor, or don’t push your system to its limits. When your lights dim it means that the alternator is run out of it efficiency range. So the hard you push it the more strain it put on it. Just remember the harder you push something the faster it breaks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i dont think you need an extra battery (good idea) because your only runnig 2 subs but getting a higher graded alternator and a way better capacitor would do the trick i think, btw how dim are they going

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
sounds like a grounding problem. Give it a little more sanding where you grounded it to and that should do it hopefully. I dont think you need a new battery.

To ensure its not yer battery.. call me stupid but you could hook it up to another cars battery while yer car is running and see if the light is better. If it is not better than you eliminated one of the possible problems...

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would have to agree with the possibility of a bad ground, but maybe a more efficient amp that actual pulls and pushes the watts that are stated. JL, Hifoniks, Memphis or something along those lines. What amp do you have? You should talk to Atom44watt or Totally custom audio, they are members here. They'll have awnswers almost deffinatly!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
a cap serves to stablize voltage near the load, but it isn't a magic bullet. typically, dimming lights is an indicator that you are stressing the electical system, and could cause failure.

sounds like an install problem. more details & pics of your install. what gauge wire did you use? where did you run the battery cable to? ideally directly to the battery using the shortest length of wire. how about ground?

what brand & model number is the amp? what's the power output of in RMS? i seriously doubt it's 1200W RMS, maybe 1200W peak-to-peak, but the value you need to consider is RMS. 2 gauge is probably overkill. use a wire chart to calculate the proper gauge needed. if your amp is 1200W peak-to-peak, your RMS value is closer to 360-420W RMS. you propably need 8 or 4 gauge depending on how long the cable is run.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yeah I think to better solve this problem, we need to know what amp you are running...subs could be rating 2000W RMS each, but if your amp is only 500W RMS. Then thats all you are pushing....

Can you tell us the amp you are using? Cause I highly doubt you are pushing 1200W to each, maybe total, but then still a 1.2 farad cap would suffice, putting a 5 farad cap on a 1200W system is just a waste. Also, do you have any other amps or other electrical devices hooked up? Sounds mostly like a grounding issue, and do the big 3 upgrade. If those two don't help, a bigger battery in conjuction with those two should solve the problem. No need for a bigger alt or second battery with only 1200W. Also, I would try to get my money back for the cap, and get an optima.

I'm pushing about 800W RMS total through my system on the stock 6i (90AMP) alt and stock battery. No cap. I did do the Big 3 upgrade, which is very helpful, very cheap, just takes a little time and effort.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your advice. I have a Kicker zx3504 4 channel amp with rms of 390 powering two 12" kicker subs with a peak of 1200 watts combined and peak 600 rms. I also have a Tsunami 2 farad. I sanded down where I had it grounded cause it really wasn't that good of a ground and the lights don't dim nearly as much, but they still do. So continuing with the top 3 things I was told to check, when I installed it I used 5 guage wire. Is that a thick enough gauge or should I go lower? The only other electrical thing I'm running is a radar detector. Please bear with me on this stuff, If it sounds like I don't know what I am talking about its true. When it comes to subs and amps I really have no idea, my ex-brother in law is the one who picked it all out and he said it would all work together. So what do I need to do?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Capacitors dont do jack and are a gimmick they cant hold power more than 1-2 seconds and drain extremely quickly your going to want to put a nice battery in your trunk try a kinetik. Unfortunately after your running a certain ammount of power no matter what you do your going to get light dimmage even if you have a high output alternator. even .5 voltage drop you will see your lights dim.

·
Registered
705 Posts
yeah with what amp you are using. There is no reason for dimming. Cause bridged thats only 340W RMS. You either have the gain turned up way to high, and/or you have a bad ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.