Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read with interest all the topics about the stock audio system, and am aware of the limitations imposed on the rear speakers by the head unit. A while ago I replaced the fronts with Panasonic 6x8s but left the rear alone.

I now want to see if I can get better speakers in the front so I'd like some advice on makes (no massive prices please!) - such as kenwood/jbl/infinity, and more importantly the type I should be going for.. 2-way or 3-way?

Also, if I replaced my fronts, and put the panasonic 3-way's in the rear, would I notice ANY difference whatsoever?

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've read with interest all the topics about the stock audio system, and am aware of the limitations imposed on the rear speakers by the head unit. A while ago I replaced the fronts with Panasonic 6x8s but left the rear alone.

I now want to see if I can get better speakers in the front so I'd like some advice on makes (no massive prices please!) - such as kenwood/jbl/infinity, and more importantly the type I should be going for.. 2-way or 3-way?

Also, if I replaced my fronts, and put the panasonic 3-way's in the rear, would I notice ANY difference whatsoever?

Cheers! :)
[/b]

Bose or Non- Bose? and what year?

Here's my thoughts, and I've owned a 95 Neon, a 97 Explorer, and a 2006 Mazda3. All w/ GREAT SYSTEMS!

Kenwood= Cheap price, decently durable, decent sound quality
JBL= Decent price, decently durable, good sound quality
Infinity= Good Price, good durability, almost great sound quality
Rockford Fosgate= Hit or Miss!! Decent price, good durability, decent sound quality
Pioneer= same as Kenwood but slightly cheaper
MB Quart= Wish they still made! Hit or miss on price, excellent durability, excellent sound quality
Alpine= Decent price, excellent durability, almost great sound quality
Polk Audio= Great price, decent durability, almost great sound quality
JL Audio= Probably my choice from every other speaker I've owned!

I would reccommend the JL Audio's but if you need somethin more reasonable on price, Infinity or Polk Audio

Alpine is also good but a little more pricey then Infinity.

These are all speakers I've had installed in my vehicles I've owned and I've liked JL the best! I don't reccommend Kenwood, Rockford Fosgate, or JBL. Bad experiences with these speakers MANY TIMES!!Pioneer is close, but they're so cheap it's worth it!

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you just want a good set of replacement speakers, no amps or nothing. I would recommend eclipse. Because they have some of the best coaxails on the market. And you can usually pick a set up for about $100 off ebay.

SP5700 all the way around. They do have small passive crossovers, but you can mount the inside the door also, they aren't very big. I have them in my rear doors. Absolutely love the sound. Much better than any of the previous speakers listed.

I know JL makes some good stuff, but I don't like the sound from their speakers, their amps and subs are amazing, but there are better speakers out there, some even cheaper than the JL.

I have some pics somewhere on this forum showing my set of Eclipse SP5700's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for these ideas guys - i'll price some speakers up after work.

So that's answered my question about what to put in the front.

What about the back - will I notice any difference putting my old Panasonics (or even some new ones from your list) in, given the reduced power that goes through to the rear speakers?

:)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I would just throw your old panasonics back there as long as there is nothing wrong with them. And just replace your fronts with a decent set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts