Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've never bought rims before so naturally I have questions that I was hoping someone could answer for me. Just to let you know though, I don't know much about rims so my questions might be sorta funny.

1. I've seen some really niiice gunmetal Racing Hart rims that come with the Mazda Protege. Would Mazda ever allow you to get those on a 6 or would they not even fit?

2. Let's say you're purchasing a certified pre-owned 6 from Mazda. If you want different rims, would you have to buy the rims by themselves or would you just pay the difference between the stock and the new ones and exchange them?

3. If you get new rims of the same diameter, would you still be able to use the old tires or would you have to get new tires too?

4. For those rims with black spokes but silver lip, do you buy them like that or do you just paint the inside of your rims black yourself? Would it be cheaper to just get your rims painted instead of getting new black ones?

5. This is non rims related. Would it be possible to get a Mazda 6 Speed front bumper on a regular 6?

6. To smoke your taillights and have them look professional, can you do it yourself with everyday materials or would you need to get a professional to do it?

That's pretty much it. Thanks in advance for the replies!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi, I've never bought rims before so naturally I have questions that I was hoping someone could answer for me. Just to let you know though, I don't know much about rims so my questions might be sorta funny.

1. I've seen some really niiice gunmetal Racing Hart rims that come with the Mazda Protege. Would Mazda ever allow you to get those on a 6 or would they not even fit?

2. Let's say you're purchasing a certified pre-owned 6 from Mazda. If you want different rims, would you have to buy the rims by themselves or would you just pay the difference between the stock and the new ones and exchange them?

3. If you get new rims of the same diameter, would you still be able to use the old tires or would you have to get new tires too?

4. For those rims with black spokes but silver lip, do you buy them like that or do you just paint the inside of your rims black yourself? Would it be cheaper to just get your rims painted instead of getting new black ones?

5. This is non rims related. Would it be possible to get a Mazda 6 Speed front bumper on a regular 6?

6. To smoke your taillights and have them look professional, can you do it yourself with everyday materials or would you need to get a professional to do it?

[/b]

Thats alot of questions....are you really that lazy to look it up??? :sarc:

·
Registered
6,960 Posts

[/b]
1 - yes, they fit almost like stock wheels. i have a set of the hyperblack msp wheels that im trying to get rid of...

2 - it depends on the manager.

3 - 17x7 wheels with tires that are on there will fit any other 17x7 wheel

4 - polished/chrome lips are like that from the manufacturer. paint, at least quality paint that lasts, costs a lot. this is also dependant on the finish you want too, but just stick with buying a new set of rims instead of painting stockies.

5 - yes, but with modification. i'll be the first (or second), and most certainly not the last, to tell you it wont look good. theres a larger gap in the front wheel well.

6 - meh, just buy a set of 06 tails. nightshades look like total and utter shit.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
You can check more in:
http://www.tirerack.com/

You choose Mazda and then the model. Then Wheel

Also you can see the recomend tire size for each rim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yikes. Ok well lets see...

1. The Protege Racing Hart wheels (which are very nice) are IIRC 17x6.5 ? -although a bit narrow, will fit fine on a 6. They have the same pcd, cb, and the offset is close enough. One thing though, is I'd recommend switching out the 205/45/17 tires to something like 215/50/17, as the Protege's OD would be too small.

2. Every dealer has different policies and programs...but I'm sure a dealer will do almost anything to sell you a car.

3. As long as the new wheels are similar in specs, you'll be okay using the same tires. They've GOT to be same diameter (duh). If the new wheel is wider or narrower, then make sure the tire you're keeping is approved for the new wheel's width.

4. Uhhh yes. and no? you can paint it yourself (cheap) -or- buy some aftermarket black wheels online -or- get a body shop to do a quality paint job (could be pricey)
<captain obvious out>

5. Possible. Mods will be likely and I even suspect you'll need to do the speed6 hood as well considering where the grill area lines up. You'll need to do the speed6 fenders too for that matter, since they match that hood.

6. Do it yourself, I'm sure its not tough to do a professional looking job as long as you're patient with it. Just don't go too dark.

I don't know about your questions being funny or not, maybe just not completely thought through. Try doing a search, there is a great volume of info about wheel fitments in this forum as well as other car forums.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your patience and replies. You've covered all the questions I wanted to ask and I really appreciate it. I did do searches but the answers weren't exactly what I was asking although close a lot of times.

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
1. The Protege Racing Hart wheels (which are very nice) are IIRC 17x6.5 ? -although a bit narrow, will fit fine on a 6. They have the same pcd, cb, and the offset is close enough. One thing though, is I'd recommend switching out the 205/45/17 tires to something like 215/50/17, as the Protege's OD would be too small.
[/b]
its 17x7. the mazda3 has 17x6.5 wheels but the msp wheels are 17x7 50mm offset and weigh 21.4lbs.

also, 205/45/17 would not meet the load requirement for our car. stock MSP's were equipped with 215/45/17, which still can't meet the load index.

:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts