Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am a new owner where i had a 02 camry and just switched over to a 05 6. I had a Viper alarm with remote start on teh camry and when i had it installed they asked if my key had a special chip and i told them now and they explained how remote starts dont work with cars that have the chip on the key. My question is... i read a thread on this forum and i am wondering it is possible to buy an alarm with remote start to use with the mazda6s?!! how does the bypass work exactly... can anyone help! thanks a lot :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
it's called a bypass modual (556u) your gonna loose one of your original keys because the key itself has a chip that allows the car to crank and run. the key installs into the modual which than connects to the ignition switch allowing for remote start. that's sorta the jist of it but if you do a search you will find all the details and information you need because it's been covered before. :)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot, that makes things clear! now to ask Best Buy if they would do such an install... >.<!! and to see how much it costs to make a spare key :] hehe

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
BBY can do the install, the Directed 555u universal bypass module will set you back about $40, plus a little extra to install. when you get the extra key ask for a valet key, that should set you back about $100. i used to work at a big box running an install bay, our company policy was to grind down the teeth of the key before installing into the bypass module. so be prepared for the new key to be ruined. the reason for grinding down the teeth was to ensure that the key couldn't be used in the ignition, and having the key left in the car with the teeth intact was a liability . the shop may not grind down the teeth, but then i'd also be a little concerned about leaving a functional key under the dash.

i've had three mazda6's and two came with the extra valet key, my MS6 and my '04 M6s, but for some reason the '05 M6s did not. mazda skimpped that year i suppose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yup, i'm an install tech for bby. the 556u retails for about 53.00 bucks but if you buy it at fry's or through e bay it'll be cheaper. we also have to grind down the teeth on the key and we charge 34.00 mullahs to install. you can get a copy of your key at the dealership but it has to be the same frequency as the others.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i ran an install bay at BBY for a couple of years. for a while we were #1 in the company in custom labor charges. we charged for everything, and the customers gladley paid. install by pass module $26, grind teeth, $26, want that hood pin installed with your RS? -$26, get the picture? if you have work done by a big box get a detailed estimate before the job begins and be prepared for some extra charges. the charges are a necessity to the level of work effort though.

ah, the good old days. then i had to finish college, grow up and move into a career. now install is just a hobby. but on a high note, i no longer have to deal with other installer's work coming back, or shitty customers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
mk706
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing