Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fronts are done and I'm moving on to the rears. The rears are known to be a pain. For the 3 upper bolts holding the strut could some who have done it share what tool or tools you used to remove them.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
lots of extensions and a swivel joint

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I used:

1) ratchet with long extension for one bolt
2) ratchet with no extension for another bolt
3) combo gear wrench for the third bolt

I don't remember which I used for which but if you have those three things, you should be able to get to all three bolts without a problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
17MM deep wrench worked great for the front two bolts. It's like it was meant for the those two PITA bolts. The one behind the strut I used two extension, swivel with 17mm socket , and a ratchet. I didn't think I was getting good contact but if it worked for you then it could work for me which it did without much fuss. I thought once getting the bolts out the whole system would just drop, but I forgot about that little clip/hangar that keeps the system from twisting. I had to lower the suspension to give me more clearance to get it out. Thanks for the help guys and now I need to get going on the other side. Right out of the box were the BC's in the rear higher or lower than stock? Trying to see f I should adjust them while their isn't any loads on them.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
out of the box they were higher in the back and the fronts were slammed lol

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
lower your subframe a little. like back all 4 bolts out to the very last threads and it gives u a TON more room to work. trust me ive already had to re-tap one of those holes for the bolts haha. can u imagine what it was like trying to get a tap in there? yea not fun haha

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (superskaterxes @ Jan 24 2010, 02:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1631952
lower your subframe a little. like back all 4 bolts out to the very last threads and it gives u a TON more room to work. trust me ive already had to re-tap one of those holes for the bolts haha. can u imagine what it was like trying to get a tap in there? yea not fun haha[/b]
Thanks for the help guys.

superskaterxes,
So you had to re-tap one of the threads that hold the strut? I was worried I may have force one because compared to the two which were easy to hand tighten, this one got hard to turn pretty early. It still seemed like it ended up flush so I let it be. Hope I don't have to come back to that one again to re-tap.

I tried the 1st 2 tools below and they both worked great for the two bolts to the left and right of the strut. For the one behind the strut I used a 3/8 ratchet, 10" extension and 14mm Socket 6 pt. Flex. That combo also worked great. Here are the links to the tools that helped keep this project from becoming a hair pulling experience.

Front 2 bolts
14mm Flex Ratcheting Wrench
or
12 x 14mm Deep Offset Wrench, 12 pt. Box End

Rear bolt
14mm Socket, 6 pt. Flex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts