Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. With the first snowfall here I really need new tires for the winter. I have some new 16x7 rims with a 40mm offset. I was thinking of putting 205/60/16 tires on, but am afraid they will rub. I really don't want to roll my fenders. I have searched around in other posts and it looks like I have too low of an offset on the new rims.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,573 Posts
205/60s are the stock size tire on the car for the base model.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I am running a 18x7.5 w/ a 48mm offset and I am DAMN close to the fender edge...

I think my math is right:

Since I have 7.5 wide rim w/ a 48mm offset

48mm offset - 6.35mm (rim width)= 41.65mm with a 7" wide rim...

So technically if my rim was 7"s wide, my offset would be 41.65mm, and I am almost needing to roll my fenders...

So if you have a 40mm w/ a larger tire (205/60) it might work but I highly doubt it... You could drop the tire size down to 205/55 and that prob would work but then your speedo would be off a little...

Hope that helps some...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stopped at a tire place today and they mounted a tire on the new rim and put it on the front of the car. The tire guy said it would work fine and there was plenty of room. I still have my doubts, but will give it a try. Hope I don’t wreck my fenders. I will be going with BF Goodrich T/A 205/60/R16 tires for $95 each mounted and balanced. I think these are T (118mph) rated tires. Does any one have any negative experiences with these tires?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I stopped at a tire place today and they mounted a tire on the new rim and put it on the front of the car. The tire guy said it would work fine and there was plenty of room. I still have my doubts, but will give it a try. Hope I don’t wreck my fenders. I will be going with BF Goodrich T/A 205/60/R16 tires for $95 each mounted and balanced. I think these are T (118mph) rated tires. Does any one have any negative experiences with these tires?
[/b]
The front of the car isn't the concern. My winter tires are 215/60R16 mounted on some steelies off of an eagle talon (41mm offset iirc). I checked to see if they'd fit by mounting the front tire, and they fit. The rear ones didn't fit so well. Rubbing was happening when I'd hit a dip or when I'd make a harder turn. I've since swapped the steelies for some higher offset once, and no issues.
That being said, I could have gotten rid of the rubbing by rolling the fenders, so that's always an option if you want. For winter tires, I decided against it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The other are right...they need to test fit one on the rear as that is where the fender clearance is an issue. I had some 16X7 +40 offset that I test fit and they didn't look like there was any chance they wouldn't rub without rolling the fenders. I personally didn't want the clearance issues and also didn't want snow tires throwing more snow, salt, mud, and grime up the side of the car than was necessary. I decided to spend a little more and got some wheels with a +50 offset that fit great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the rims have been on for 4 days now, and so far no rubbing on the back fenders but it’s very close. I think the chrome looks good on the red and looks very tastefully done. 17" rims would have been perfect, but these 16" were too cheap to pass up.

Not too happy with what happened to 2 of my stock rims; looks like the tire place dropped one of them on its face, and another has some rather long and deep scratches. There is clear coat damage on both, there is actually chunks of it missing. I am waiting to hear back from the owner of the tire place to see if they are going to do anything about it. Can these be easily refinished? I would like to put these back on in summer because there is only 16K on these original tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
I had one of my stock tires dropped on its face and I used the touch up paint on it. I don't think anyone would notice it unless they looked really close at it.

On a side note: I had my rear fenders rolled for $80 at a local body shop. Took them about an hour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts