Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As t he title states. I have white smoke coming out of my exhaust. Since I removed the 2nd cat I have a 3 inch straight pipe. Now I have white smoke coming out only in idle. What do you guys think it is? My friend says I'm running too lean..

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I think you are burning oil. I also think this is the case with most Speeds, to include mine on occasion.

I do not think it's a due to bad ring seals or valves.

I really think it is a problem with a huge portion of the turbos shipped with this car. I noticed quite a bit of oil in my intercooler, as well as on the cimpressor side once when i was swapping my turbo. I don't think it's enough to be a huge deal, but definetely enough to cause some smoke.

I noticed that after I did my turbo swap, I never noticed any more white smoke.

When u can, get down there and sniff to verify that it is burning oil.

This is just my guess though?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did go down there it doesn't really smell like oil. Smells like sulfur. Its getting worse on idle. Is your BOV recirculated? If I recirculate the BOV you think it will make a difference? Also it does have a LOT of smoke. Is it because I removed the cats? But the car feels like it pulls so much better.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I think you are burning oil. I also think this is the case with most Speeds, to include mine on occasion.

I do not think it's a due to bad ring seals or valves.

I really think it is a problem with a huge portion of the turbos shipped with this car. I noticed quite a bit of oil in my intercooler, as well as on the cimpressor side once when i was swapping my turbo. I don't think it's enough to be a huge deal, but definetely enough to cause some smoke.

I noticed that after I did my turbo swap, I never noticed any more white smoke.

When u can, get down there and sniff to verify that it is burning oil.

This is just my guess though?[/b]
How's the fuel cut with monster turbo? :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
How's the fuel cut with monster turbo? :)[/b]
I did't have as much fuel cut as I expected, it happened a few times though.

I do have ATP boost cut killer, but I never got a chance to install it. It probably would have eliminated it judgind by some other guy's experiences.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please back on topic! need help this smoke is really bugging me. Esp in cali. ANy other ideas? I also reciculated the BOV. It helped a lil with idling, but there is still a mass amout of smoke..

·
Registered
158 Posts
hey man i took at both my cats... with ATP dp... and i have a shitload of smoke too... i dono what it is... but at idle an other times there is alot of smoke... but hey try this because it seemed to help with me....un plug the battery... wait a couple min... then plug it back... and turn on the car.. and let it idle for like a couple min... see if it still smokes... because mine stopped... then if i start pushing it hard... then it starts smoking again... i think its the ecu learning a fuel rich trim... i duno. try it... and tell me if it works...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
if it smells like sulfur its because you dont have the cats, its unburnt gas, all car that are rich without car give off a bad smell

·
Registered
329 Posts
What does the smoke look like? The tint of the smoke can tell you a lot about where it might be coming from. Large amounts of white smoke would ususally indicate burning coolant. It will usually smell a little sweet too. If it has a bluish tint it would be oil. If it is a little dark it would be excessive rich A/F. Does the smoke go away after driving around a while or is it all the time?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What does the smoke look like? The tint of the smoke can tell you a lot about where it might be coming from. Large amounts of white smoke would ususally indicate burning coolant. It will usually smell a little sweet too. If it has a bluish tint it would be oil. If it is a little dark it would be excessive rich A/F. Does the smoke go away after driving around a while or is it all the time?[/b]
No tint to it at all. Just pure white. It has a really faint smell to it. It has no burnt oil, or coolant.

hey man i took at both my cats... with ATP dp... and i have a shitload of smoke too... i dono what it is... but at idle an other times there is alot of smoke... but hey try this because it seemed to help with me....un plug the battery... wait a couple min... then plug it back... and turn on the car.. and let it idle for like a couple min... see if it still smokes... because mine stopped... then if i start pushing it hard... then it starts smoking again... i think its the ecu learning a fuel rich trim... i duno. try it... and tell me if it works...[/b]
Hmm I've tried that, but it comes back again. I'm running the stock cat off the downpipe still. Only 1 cat was removed from the exhaust.

Also! my Idling rpm has droped from 1k to like 500-600. Then i reciculated the BOV and it went back to 800 rpm. When I idle at a light i rev the engine a little to 1k-1500 rpm then there is no smoke. Is the car too lean now?

·
Registered
42 Posts
No tint to it at all. Just pure white. It has a really faint smell to it. It has no burnt oil, or coolant.
Hmm I've tried that, but it comes back again. I'm running the stock cat off the downpipe still. Only 1 cat was removed from the exhaust.

Also! my Idling rpm has droped from 1k to like 500-600. Then i reciculated the BOV and it went back to 800 rpm. When I idle at a light i rev the engine a little to 1k-1500 rpm then there is no smoke. Is the car too lean now?[/b]
Try holding a piece of white paper and let the exhaust hit it for a while. Maybe you'll be able to see the color, or touch the film it leaves for an idea of what it is.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
It's the car running rich.

I get an unbelievable amount. I also get black smoke once in a while, but I think that is because I slightly overfilled my motor with oil :/

·
Registered
272 Posts
While you are idling, if you rev it to 5K does it the smoke get better or worse? Another car I previously owned had a small coolant leak, and I would let it idle, then when I revved it, the smoke got 10x worse.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sounds like the car is emitting carbon monoxide, like a healthy internal combustion engine. This is more likely when you don't have cats to filter out the emissions. Time to stop losing sleep over it, there's a 99% chance that your car is perfectly fine. :)

Those of you saying the car is running rich: The car probably isn't doing this at idle. No matter how dumb Mazda has the car running at 5000RPMS @ WOT, they wouldn't dump fuel at idle (the car would stall). I can't say it as fact, but a direct injected engine probably runs ridiculously lean at idle.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Those of you saying the car is running rich: The car probably isn't doing this at idle. No matter how dumb Mazda has the car running at 5000RPMS @ WOT, they wouldn't dump fuel at idle (the car would stall). I can't say it as fact, but a direct injected engine probably runs ridiculously lean at idle.[/b]
Agreed, mazda is not going to mis use DISI at idle of all times, I would follow the previous suggestion, have someone rev the engine, if your smoking gets much worse it COULD be a coolant leak, how does it smell? If it is a sweet smell It could be coolant, but which how much our cars smoke as is, and the lack of a cat this should not be surprising....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After I rev the car in idle it doesn't smoke gets better. I guess I am just running tooooooooo lean in idle.. Know how to change that? Or a High flow cat will solve the problem?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I had a car that used to smoke at idle and it was because of leaky o-rings. Probably not the case here - but I honestly cannot think of a situation where any healthy car should be coughing out white/blue smoke.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.