Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my way home today i drove over a HUGE pothole and after it i noticed that the steering wheel started to jerk a lil right at a certain point of the tire rotation.
if i drove slower the jerks would be longer and slower as well so i assumed it was something to do with a certain part of the tire or the rotor? or.....something else?

i pulled into a gas station and the tirepressure was down a lot so i filled it back up.... drove another few blocks... (still with the jerks, but getting smaller, but now with a kind of "tss" sound when that part of the tire is in contact with the ground) and the tire pressure was down again. so i put in some of that fill-a flat stuff that fills holes in ur tire and now im not sure wut to do...

dont wanna go into a shop yet cuz i dont wanna pay em 80$ jsut for them to tell me i need new tires or something.

.....help?

ps. i dunno if this belongs in the suspension thread but im hoping it sjust a tire problem?

·
Registered
434 Posts
stock rims? if u hit a big pothole at high speed, it might have bent the rim and the rim is possibly leaking the air or maybe its the tire.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'd take it in for an alignment first and be searching for a new wheel. When you are getting the alignment(which you most likely need now), they will be able to tell if there is anything seriously wrong that needs to be addressed immediately. You can probably get a cheap replacement on here or Ebay, and you may need to buy a new tire depending on damage. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Jesus, take it into a shop and see what is wrong with the friggin car!

Consider your safety and the others you're driving along side of.

John :cool:

·
Registered
979 Posts
^^^^ Ditto

·
Registered
434 Posts
did ur tires form a buldge/bubble either on the outside or inside?
what kinda rim/tire u running?
i hit a sewer drainage thing that was a little lower than the rest of the road, tire leaked and formed the bubble, i got it patched at bigO.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Go get your car looked at for a Wheel Alignment like stated, they will take a look at the front end and most shops(least the one I work at) will skaedown the front end and hook up all the sensors.

Ask them to Balance the wheel that went into the pot hole, Or take it to a tire place, they'll be able to tell if it is out of round or bent when the spin it and by how much weight it's going to need ant etc, do that before you get a new wheels, should be bout $10 for the balance.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Sounds like you knock the alignment and put a nice dent in the rim. I had my share of dented wheels. :( Get it looked at to know whats going on with your ride.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
if you heard air...you bent the rim...get a new one, but hit up the shop to make sure there are not other problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well u guys were right...bent rim
thanks for the help.. im rollin on my spare atm.... now to find some1 selling 1 stock tire for less than the dealership... any takers? hehe

strange thing tho... i went to the shop.. they told me my rim was bent.. couldnt balance the tire obviously.. so they said i should put on the spare tire for safety reasons... and that sounded reasonable (they charged me 17$ to put on my spare....that was stupid i shoulda just done it myself) ... but when i got my car back the CEL was on... wtf? now im driving around on a dummy tire w/ a CEL on

:tear:

but thanks ppls~

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
as this pertains to wheel alignments....didnt feel like starting another thread and this one seems to be dead anyways...no point in making more redundant crap...

the 6..can i just take it to any local shop..maybe like a BJ's or Costco' or something like Sears even to do a wheel alignment on my car...or is it more complicated than that and i should just take it to the dealer...?

my steering is really loose and its like i think the rack and pinion its like when i turn the wheel and hit a bump there's just so much give its crazy...it feels as fi your moving a spoon around in a cup...and its hitting the sides...like its secure you know the spoon is in there..but its got all that dead space...thast my steering...think an alignment would fix this ?

·
Registered
566 Posts
That sounds more like a bushing or tie rod kind of problem-like a "get it to some damn suspension/steering shop yesterday" kind of problem. Like a "your wheel may fall off on the highway at speed" kind of problem. Or just the steering rack dying. Still, get it checked on the way home from work today!

·
Registered
574 Posts
That sounds more like a bushing or tie rod kind of problem-like a "get it to some damn suspension/steering shop yesterday" kind of problem. Like a "your wheel may fall off on the highway at speed" kind of problem. Or just the steering rack dying. Still, get it checked on the way home from work today!
[/b]
Don't listen to him and his 'glass half empty' mentality... I mean.. whats the worst that can happen if your wheel falls off.. you roll 8 times.. MAX.. and hit a school bus full of retarded children.. HEY.. wake up people.. that had it coming to them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
sexy6s
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing