Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my frustrating problem:

2003 6s with 109,000 mi (yeah, a lot of driving). Jan. '06 had my 100,00 mi. service w/ no problems. Feb 3rd engine light comes on, ends up being catalytic converter failure (never got an explanation why they failed). Mazda dealer offered to get them rebuilt in lieu of new Mazda parts to save $$. One of the rebuilts failed and was re-rebuilt at no cost. Since that happened I have noticed a clatter (valves or lifter?). Dealer said valves might have been pushed out slightly when converters failed and wasn't concerned about it. Noise is pronounced when engine is cold.

Now, about 3 weeks after getting car back, engine light and oil light come on; go to nearest service - I am 4 qts low. Thought initially it was screw up as the dealer changed my oil. Yesterday lights again and I am 3 qts low after 1500 mi/2 weeks. Spent 5 hours at dealer today. Says it's not the PCV valve issue I read about here; all checked out; did a compression test and believes that I am probably losing my rings causing oil to burn in engine. Problem is I see no smoke. Gas milage is OK. Says only option is new engine at $4K or keep burning oil. Can't believe I am losing that much oil or having rings go at only 109K!?

Getting a second opinion. Anyone see a problem like this with a 6 before? Thanx.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Have someone drive behind you and then floor it, they'll see smoke if there is some to be seen. Also maybe try someone thats not the dealer. You're not under warranty and there are much better places to go that are cheaper than the stealership. I wouldn't think the oil light would come on for being a few quarts low either.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You could try engine additives that supposedly stop leaks for older engines. Never tried them, but I'm sure a google search will help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After the 2nd Opinion biting the bullet and getting a new engine. Shot after 109K. What a bunch of crap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Hokie_85
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing