Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post here. I don't own a Mazda 6s, this is my Mom's car.

Well last night I was driving it because it was raining hard and I didn't want to take my car. Well I was riding around enjoying the ease of the clutch and shifting in this car, compared to my camaro. I was not ragging on it, I was just driving how I usually do. When I pulled up to my friends house I noticed that the stick was locked out of reverse. It was like something is stopping the stick from going into reverse. Then I tryed all the other gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th were fine, but it would also not go into 5th. There was no sign of the syncro's going out or any tranny or clutch problems, car is 2003 Mazda6s 5-speed.

Then while driving home, I shifted 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, fine but it still would not go into 5th. So I pushed the stick really hard and it finally went into 5th with no grinding. But then when I tryed to downshift, I noticed that the stick is now locked out of 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st. Drove it all the way home in 5th and parked it into the garage. That was last night. I need to get this fixed ASAP!!

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS BEFORE OR KNOW WHAT TO DO? PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
This sounds like a clutch adjustment issue. I had the same problem in my last car and a clutch adjustment fixed the problem.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Shift cables is dead. If you have warranty took it to dealer, they will replace them.
I had exactly same thing. 5th and reverse first then locked in one gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shift cables is dead. If you have warranty took it to dealer, they will replace them.
I had exactly same thing. 5th and reverse first then locked in one gear.[/b]
Thanks man, so the clutch and tranny are ok, just the cables are bad? That makes since to me
because the tranny and/or clutch shouldn't just go out with no sign, am I right? We will be taking it
to a local Chevy dealer since there is no mazda dealer unless you want to drive over an hour away.

Thanks,
Nick

Take it to your dealer and let them check it cuz you might have messed up the tranny.[/b]
Why do you automatically assume it's the tranny? Any reasons or just a guess?

·
Registered
281 Posts
If it was tranny than you would loose 3rd or 5th gear because they are weakest. But you just can't shift. And you would have grrinding noice for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^I think that he's right on this point. It's a an adjustment or cable issue.[/b]
We are about to load in on the car hauler and take it to the dealership to get it fixed.
Thanks for your help guys, I hope it's nothing major because we no longer have a
warranty.

-Nick

·
Registered
281 Posts
Uhm... Bad thing... To replace shift cables there need to remove center console... or I remember something like this... It can be pricey work...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uhm... Bad thing... To replace shift cables there need to remove center console... or I remember something like this... It can be pricey work...[/b]
It's very easy to remove the console, takes me like 5 minutes...

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Hold on, how in the hell did you manage to Drive all the way home in 5th gear??? Didn't you have to stop for traffic lights, or other cars, or stop signs???

Can you even start in 5th gear..??/ Amazing

·
Registered
281 Posts
Actually its possible...
Just kills clutch a lot...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yeah, not very fun. Takes a good footbal field or two to actually get up to speed :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hold on, how in the hell did you manage to Drive all the way home in 5th gear??? Didn't you have to stop for traffic lights, or other cars, or stop signs???

Can you even start in 5th gear..??/ Amazing[/b]
No didn't harm the clutch. Like I said previously, while driving home 1st through 4th worked fine got up to 4th and made the mistake of forcing it to 5th. When I put it in 5th then all other gears locked out, luckily I didn't catch any more red lights comming home. Then when I pulled into the driveway I put it in neutral. I tryed the gears again while the car was still running and it would not go into ANYTHING, not even back in 5th. I was lucky I made it home.

UPDATE:
The dealership called and said that the damage is not minor, and they will have to remove the transmission for further inspection. Sounds bad, huh?

-Nick

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have had this same issue with my 06 6i. I have had them work on my car numerous times for these issues, the car just won't go into gear. When mine did this, they stated that it was the shifter rods. Then they stated that the transmission locked up, even though the car would go into other gears, I could not get it into 3rd. 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th worked, but third was no where to be found. I did the whole forcing it into gear, and it did what happened to you, you can get it out but no other gears would work. I had a hard time with getting it fixed, but wait, they still never got it fixed :irate:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
updates? What was the diagnosis?

·
Registered
212 Posts
updates? What was the diagnosis?[/b]
+1 Today - I've got nothing but 5th gear. I stopped on an uphill off-ramp, so there was no way I was going to get moving again. Still in warranty (barely), towed to dealer, awaiting diagnosis. Any updates, anyone??

Update - they said it is the reverse synchro. It's going to take a couple days to get the part and a couple days to install.
Since my truck is also in the shop (clutch), I'm sporting a rental Chevy Aveo. What a beast!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts