Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I am new here. Sorry if I post this under the wrong section. I have a 2017 Mazda 6 Touring that has rattle sound coming from the steering wheel or from behind the steering wheel (video) when it is driven on rough or broken roads.

I don't know if this information is useful but when the car is stationary with the engine and accessories all switch off, if I nudge the steering wheel with little force to the left of right, it will also have a "tick" sound. I suspect it is the spring clock that emits the "tick" noise. Dealer has not been helpful at all.

Please help.

Thank you.

(Video) 2017 Mazda 6 Steering Wheel Rattle

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think I finally found the source of mine. When I would be driving, I could hit the top of the dash over the left vent to hear my rattle. Could faintly hear it if I hit the same spot while parked, and it would come and go intermittently while driving (rough roads would trigger it and then it would settle down). In my case, it's the cords / wires in the footwell beneath the trunk release. I was able to adjust them and that seemed to take care of mine (one of them has a foam wrap that I believe had slid down, allowing them to rattle against each other).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for your input. I went ahead and check the wire and the foam is still there. However, I added extra foam just in case and I zipped tie the other hood release cable so that it don't vibrate around as it is longer. Hope this will help.

Also mine does not seem to rattle when I hit the top of the driver's side ac vent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I finally found the source of mine. When I would be driving, I could hit the top of the dash over the left vent to hear my rattle. Could faintly hear it if I hit the same spot while parked, and it would come and go intermittently while driving (rough roads would trigger it and then it would settle down). In my case, it's the cords / wires in the footwell beneath the trunk release. I was able to adjust them and that seemed to take care of mine (one of them has a foam wrap that I believe had slid down, allowing them to rattle against each other).
Currently, mine is still rattling. Not sure if it is the steering wheel or the area near it. Very frustrating, dealer does not seem to care either. Thanks though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE (May 26, 2020): So I have found the source of the rattle. It is not from the steering wheel nor the driver's dashboard, it is actually coming from one of the black cables under the driver's seat (mine is the powered seat). The rattle was weird because if I am leaning and resting my back on the back of the seat, then the rattle will appear, and if scoot a little bit to the front and not lean back against the seat, then the rattle will not be present; hence, I was able to narrow it down to the seating area instead of the steering wheel. I was able to tie the cable down so it will not vibrate against the plastic side covers of the seat causing the rattle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts