Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I left my car parked in my driveway while I was in Florida for a week. I get back and the first thing I do is go to check out the car and make sure everything is ok (yah, I'm a little obsessed, so what? Wanna fight about it?) Anyway, I notice there are little "leaves" or something similar to that stuck all over the car. When I go to take one off I notice there is a yellow sappy stuff all over them and since they have been sitting on the car all week they are now stuck to the car. :swearin: I decide to run down to the local touchless car wash (high pressure wash) to get it all off, thinking it will fix it. No luck, the sap is still there, stuck very nicely. So I went to Schucks and picked up some sap/tar remover. Stoner brand I think. Sprayed it on and let is sit for a good 5 minutes. NO LUCK, the sap is still there. My car looks like a fuckin cheetah or something. I'm going to try a warm water wash to see if that takes it off, if not then I will try a full detail at a local detailing shop. Any suggestions on what I can try without spending $200 on a detail? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
978 Posts
man, that sucks! one of the crappy things about portland...so many trees that drop crap on our cars! i've used goo-gone before, but i know that it strips the wax off too. i'd check out this thread on autopia

removing hardened sap

good luck (and get a car cover :D )

·
Registered
313 Posts
i live in sacramento, went to monterey (bout 400mi round trip). over there i got one drop of sap on the spoiler, which in my head i was cursing all the way home.

but when i got home i just used a clay bar a few times and that got it off.

hope you get it all off in time.

edit: yeah thats what worried about when i parked at my friends apt. i quickly went over the car to see if any sap got on it. i also try not to park under trees but sometimes you cant help it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Since it's been on a week, you'll need to step up in aggressivness.

Isopropyl alcohol
Clay Bar
Turpentine
3M Wax & Trim Adhesive Remover
Mineral Spirits

IPA is the cheapest at .99/pint at a drug or grocery store, but may not work after a week.

Turpentine would be your last resort.

Anything from the above list will require a rewash and rewaxing as they'll remove wax from the paint surface.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
my friend got it off with goo gone...worth a try

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions guys. My next day off isn't until Tuesday, so I'll be spending the day with a clay bar, warm water/soap bath, and wax. Crap, there goes my day of relaxation, lol. I hope it isn't raining :(

man, that sucks! one of the crappy things about portland...so many trees that drop crap on our cars! i've used goo-gone before, but i know that it strips the wax off too. i'd check out this thread on autopia

removing hardened sap

good luck (and get a car cover :D )
[/b]
Looks like it will definately take some work. Thanks for the link...

and forget a car cover, I'm getting a chainsaw and cutting that fuckin tree down. :nana:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
mr.stephens
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing