Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a mazdaspeed short shifter on ebay and bought it for 20 bucks, however I didnt get the little push nut that we have to cut off in order to install. What are my options if any? I want to install this but I cant until I know what to do in place of the push nut. Help?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If i remember correctly, you cut it to get it off, and get a new one to put it back on but the new one seems like a standard piece of hardware, not really special. I'll see if i can track down the directions and shed some more light on it, its been a while but i am thinking you could go to a hardware store and locate a new one? Do the directions say what kind it is (name, size, etc?)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The directions just say to use the new push nut provided but I didnt get that since I got this off of ebay and I thought it was a bargain for 20 bucks. I was hoping that maybe someone had used a backup nut or something that might help. and I dont want to cut it and then be assed out you know?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yeah I'm sure you can find it any a local hardware store, just bring in the rod pin to get the correct sizing

·
Registered
949 Posts
so is there a way around not cutting? for example, buying that part at a hardware store cheap? cause i really dont trust myself cutting something im not familiar with. just wondering though

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Well, when you install the kit, you cut the old one and you get a brand new one to put on so you cant really mess it up too bad. Plus the nut and the pin are different metals and the pin is hard to damage. You can try to pry the nut off, but its so much faster to just cut.

Btw, i cant find my directions. Do the ones you have show the part specs for the nut?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Advance Auto Parts carries a varitey pack of push nuts. I had to use one when installing my shifter. The pack I found didn't have the exact size necessary, but that was easily fixed by flattening out the fins on the push nut with a hammer. Just set it on a flat surface and flatten them out a little.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a bunch! I will more than likely be doing this today. As always the feedback on my question is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Something else that could be used in lieu of a push nut is drill a hole in the end of the pin and use a cotter pin. This way if you ever need to get back in there its simple and no new parts would be needed. Just a thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts