Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my wife was driving the car I noticed that the overheating was caused by the Overflow tube being broken off from the radiator just causing all coolant to be expelled from the radiator from the broken port Park the vehicle and had it towed home now vehicle will only spin spin spin as if only the starter is spinning or maybe the flywheel very high pitch whining noise but through the oil fill cap I can see the cams are turning but it will not start help please help

·
Rally Racer
2,187 Posts
After my wife was driving the car I noticed that the overheating was caused by the Overflow tube being broken off from the radiator just causing all coolant to be expelled from the radiator from the broken port Park the vehicle and had it towed home now vehicle will only spin spin spin as if only the starter is spinning or maybe the flywheel very high pitch whining noise but through the oil fill cap I can see the cams are turning but it will not start help please help
Hello.
If you can see the camshaft spinning when the starter is turning and the starter is spinning at top speed I would say that you have no compression. There are holes in the pistons, the rings have been severely damaged or the head gasket(s) are damaged.
What I am not sure of is when you say "the overheating" does that refer to a single event or a continuous repeated event? Overheating can easily lead to (a) damaged head gasket(s).

Additional information that would help would include year of vehicle, engine type, transmission type, preceding symptoms, timing of events...etc...

Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Holes in the piston? Overflow tube is irrelevant, unless you never check your fluid levels over a large period of time.
Sounds like you cooked the motor, seems like you failed to see the warning signs. sorry to be so harsh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2006 mazda i 2.3liter..the motor smells like burned rear-end oil...fluids were all unbreached. i can hear a high pitched sound coming from the intake -plenum area.
if she did smoke the motor...what would be best...if the motor is not toast...rebuild it...or just do a engine swap?
thanx in advance for your help and time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fluids were all unbreached, what does that mean? Radiator full of water?
Burnt oil smell says little water in radiator!
Squealing sound coming from engine intake, most likely melted pistons.
When engine oil gets too hot things go down hill quickly.
Better off getting second hand engine, damage will be severe.

·
Rally Racer
2,187 Posts
I am 100 percent with @jman1200 A compression test is the next step. My experience that is a motor fails catastrophically from an overheat it is best to replace it rather than try to rebuild. Find a decent replacement and put it is complete. Be sure to replace all the fluids with fresh and pathologically check it until you establish the fluid consumption rates.
Good luck and even better fortune.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts