Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I’ve got a 2006 Mazda 6 TS2 2.0L UK spec. Today I failed an MOT on emissions and kind of lost what to do. Could you suggest any exhaust alternatives to the original one? Maybe from an MPS or RX-8? Has anyone had any problems with exhaust and if yes, how did you solve it?
I appreciate any answers really. Thank you for reading!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to be specific, most of us arent in the UK, dont know what MOT means and WHAT did you fail on? CEL? Too rich?
I didn’t know that, sorry. MOT is a vehicle inspection, you need get a MOT certificate every year, to make your car road legal.
Exhaust emits excessive dense blue smoke during acceleration.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Blue smoke means you are burning oil. Valve seals, bad piston ring and/or wear could be the issue.
How many km/miles?
Have you done a compression test?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blue smoke means you are burning oil. Valve seals, bad piston ring and/or wear could be the issue.
How many km/miles?
Have you done a compression test?
85,000 miles.
I haven’t done a compression test yet.
I’ve been quoted $2,200 for valve seal replacement job from my garage, so I’m not quite sure if I go for it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
With that mileage I doubt the issue is piston/cylinder wear (if oil changes were done as intended). My 2006 V6 has 270k km (168k miles) and it doesn't smoke.
Not sure about UK but here $2.2k for that job is excessive.
You can buy a compression tester for less than $40 and DIY, I'd do that before spending lots of money on the valve seals.
Also check your spark plugs, oil/black build up will also point you to a problematic cylinder.

·
Registered
96 Posts
General rules for the blue. Valve seals--blue out the back at next day 1st start up and during forced lower gear deceleration with foot off gas pedal. Rings--blue out the back during acceleration.
For a person with ambition wanting to save lots of money, the valve seals can be done at home for next to nothing. You need a good valve spring compressor, a shop compressor or at least a compressor that uses your cars power port which I used long before I have my shop compressor. I made the spark plug adapter from an old spark plug, I broke everything off above the spark plug base, then drilled out the base, next I welded a male air hose adapter to the modified spark plug. One of these adapters can probably be purchased these days. Now you can screw in the modified spark plug with an air hose fitting on top to force compressed air into the cylinder to keep the valves closed while compressing the valve springs. Place socket on top of the spring retainer and smack it with a hammer to break the valve keepers loose.
Always make sure each cylinder is at TDC before doing it's valves so a valve can't drop into the cylinder forcing the head to be removed. I did about 4 engines years ago, a couple V8's and a couple four cylinder engines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts