Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 6i atx. It has ballpark 50K on it. I got a tranny change at an exxon here in october about 5K ago. I noticed a wierd surging the past week. Now Its extreme. Between 1 and 2 is a couple seconds. Between 2 and 3 its bigger. Between 3 and 4 the car drops back and the engine revs (if I don't take my foot off quick enough) and then it pops hard in gear.
So I'm about 5K into a full tranny flush, where they suck it out and fill it up, not a home done one). And when I looked at my fluid its already very dark with little pieces of what looks like metal in it. If I just got a full flush 7 months ago, how can it already be so brown? Do you think I got scammed?
I'm planning on selling my 6 soon, so I have no choice to get a new one. I'm going to try to get it covered under warranty, but not sure if they will:

1. How many miles is it covered under?

2. What will void it? 19s? axle back exaust? springs?

3. I know they can look up to see I just got it done, but I'm worried they'll say they won't cover it because it hasn't been cared for. It was changed, but doesn't look like it. Should I drop another 100 to get another change so it doesn't look so bad?

I'm really concerned if its even possible for tranny fluid to turn so quickly. Do you think that I got scammed here and therefore ruined my tranny.

Your helps appreciated.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I can help answer a few questions...

The manufacturer warranty is 40,000 miles I believe.
I would take the car back to Exxon and at least have them look at it.
Wheels and springs shouldn't void that section of the warranty. Not sure about the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've seen several tranny issues not go through warranty because of larger than stock wheels.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
This issue should be taken up w/ Exxon. They're the ones who did the flush and they are responsable. I hope you have all documentation and a good lawyer...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Yep, your fight is with Exxon.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Did exxon replace the transmission filter? If not, its quite possible the filter got clogged with debris from the flush, having already seen 50k interval of crap from the clutch packs.
[/b]
Maybe I'm just thinking of the v6, but I didn't think the transmissions had a serviceable filter. Do the i4's?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I've read I thought it didn't have a filter.

The reason I don't want to go to exxon first is because they might "flush" away the evidence. All they could do for me is give me a flush, its a quick lube exxon. Mazda may be able to take up the issue w/ Exxon since its under warranty and there is a documented flush. Here in NC (maybe all states) they have a database that all service stations can access that shows when they got different services.
Mazda will be able to see I just got one. I'm not sure if they will say its not covered under warranty because of faulty service or something I did to the car, not a manufacturer defect.
When I spoke to Mazda service he said big rims "shouldn't" matter, not wouldn't. He also said that something wrong w/ the tranny could make it turn prematurely, is that true?

I've seen several tranny issues not go through warranty because of larger than stock wheels.
[/b]
And you work for a mazda dealership too, right? Any other ifo you could pass along would help as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yep. I've been here and at Showcase. Since you have and ATX I'm not too sure. The ones that I've seen not go through were mostly issues with the MTX and they blamed it on the wheels. I'll ask around to my service advisors to see what they say.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Okay...they said its basically up to the technician. If the tech is cool and doesnt think that its your wheels, then there is a good chance it'll go through. If the tech wants to be an ass, and blame it on your wheels then they can, because you have changed the stock wheels and you didnt get the tranny flush at Mazda. Its all a matter of who is working on it. It can go either way. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I suggest figuring something out soon.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sound like Exxon put in the wrong type of fluid, or flushed your tranny with sombody elses old fluid. :nono: This is why 'home' tranny flushes are not only a good deal but the safest way to maintain your tranny fluid. :yesnod: Hope you can get someone to help you out on your tranny costs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
twowheelin
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing