Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Had a battery run out on me, when i replaced battery with new one, the guage shot up to there, at cold temp it is still above the red H line. Any ideas, i have been searchin the forums but all talk about a dyin battery, i have a new one, how do i get it back to proper position?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
interesting.....

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Turn the car upside down and shake it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Turn the car upside down and shake it.
+1 :slap:

Holy cow i didnt even know the gauge went that high!!! thats actually impressive. well either there is smoke pouring out of your car or there is a serious problem with the temp sensor/gauge. ill go with the second one though...

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
when i popped my battery fuse, all my gauges went full max like that, and got stuck. but once i put a good charge on it, they went back to normal. i wonder if yours is just kinda stuck up there. have you tried tapping on the gauges to see if it settles?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Locate the temperature sender near the thermostat housing and inspect if the connector is grounded or shorted. Every time this happens the temp gauge jumps to infinity like this case. What bothers me is why would this happen after changing your battery, so inspect also the instruments cluster fuse. Finally check (i don't know, this is a crazy idea) if your new battery has the same ratings as the old one (charge capacity, cranking amperage, reserve capacity minutes). This is all that i can think of, hope it helps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't laugh, I mean this totally seriously. Try wiping a smooth cloth over the gauge, or, again, don't laugh, a magnet. Like the guy a few posts above who suggested just tapping the gauge. But the magnet worked for me, no joking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Somehow the needles seem to have "jumped" the bump stop and unaligned itself from the place it should be on the little pivot under it.

I would remove the intrument cluster, remove the clear plastic part (only clipped), then pull to remove the needles, and replace it.

Check the position of the needle of the fuel level, and replace the temp needles on the pivot at the similar position.. (When instrument cluster is disconneted or everything is OFF)

Temporary reconnect the instrument cluster, bring engine to normal temperature, then verify than the needle is in the middle of the gauge. If not, remove, replace, etc..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts