Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it's the weekend and I'm visiting relatives for the holidays so no dealer available and my headlights quit working. I go to turn them on and nothing.

High beams work, fog lights work, parking lights work, and taillights work.

I have back up headlamps so I tried that and no luck.

I also opened up the fusebox and replaced the fuses for the headlights, still nothing.

I'm supposed to return home tomorrow evening after celebrating Christmas so that leaves me in the dark. LITERALLY.

Any help would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump :tear:

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
hmmmmm check the bulbs? :laugh:

see if the filament is broken.. if you cant see... try shaking it beside your ear, if you hear something in there that's loose, then bulbs out...

if i misunderstood, forgive me... cz your title says headlights dont work, hi,fog,parking light, tail all working... so i assume low beam is out...

and how about the turn signal? should be working right?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Do you have the stock halogen setup or HID? If you are still using halogen, is it the original bulbs or aftermarket?

If you have HID and a single relay for the wiring harness, then I would suspect the relay. If not the relay, then a ground wire. It's odd that both headlights would go out at the same time.

If you have the factory halogen bulbs, then I would check the fuses, the bulbs, and then a common ground wire.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions.

I only have aftermarket bulbs installed. I switched those with the stock ones and those don't work either.

And my turn signals do work.

I also switched the fuses for both left and right low beam and nothing. I even tried those fuses in the working high beam slots and the fuses are definitely good.

I guess I could check for a ground wire problem.

Also, does anyone know if the stock(non-HID) set up uses a relay for the low beams. I don't know much about how relays work but that's the only other thing I can think of.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes, there should be a relay for the factory setup. It should be labeled on the fuse box cover. Maybe swap it out with another relay and see if it works. If that doesn't work, then you may need to be tracing ground wires.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't been able to do anything yet, but if the whole headlight assembly uses a common ground then it's probably the relay.

And no, my aftermarket bulbs are the same wattage as stock.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can any one point me where to look for the shorted ground wire on the low beams please? I know that's it. But i am a mechanical engineer so I'm not the best with electricity. A picture would be solid much appreciated. Regards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts