Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the CPE today and the car starts up but the tach is jumping all over the place and when i went to rev the engine a bit the car almost stalls.......what could be doing this?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I installed the CPE today and the car starts up but the tach is jumping all over the place and when i went to rev the engine a bit the car almost stalls.......what could be doing this?
[/b]
Did you use the scotch blocks or did you solder? I would advise checking your connections and make sure they are tight!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use the scotch blocks or did you solder? I would advise checking your connections and make sure they are tight!
[/b]
I used scotchlocks. Should I disconnect them and try reconnecting them at a different point on the wire to try and get a better connection or should i just try reclamping them at the same point on the wire?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the #1 thing to check.
[/b]
I'll tell you what, no matter how close you follow instructions it seems like something always is destined to go wrong. I don't think it helped that I was a little nervous modifying my fbrand new car that I have had for just a few months. Any ways, I sloved my problem. Dispite the fact that I tapped the wires exactly how you are supposed to with scotchlocks and plyers, there must have been a poor connection somewhere or another. All I did was take off all the scotchlocks then reclamped them in the same spot. So much for my electrical engineering background helping me on this one lol. I took the car for a quick 5 minute ride and everything seems to be running perfectly and the power is amazing.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I'll tell you what, no matter how close you follow instructions it seems like something always is destined to go wrong. I don't think it helped that I was a little nervous modifying my fbrand new car that I have had for just a few months. Any ways, I sloved my problem. Dispite the fact that I tapped the wires exactly how you are supposed to with scotchlocks and plyers, there must have been a poor connection somewhere or another. All I did was take off all the scotchlocks then reclamped them in the same spot. So much for my electrical engineering background helping me on this one lol. I took the car for a quick 5 minute ride and everything seems to be running perfectly and the power is amazing.
[/b]
Well, glad I could help a fellow Clevelander, where are you located? Maybe we meet and check out each others cars!

Marlon

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I'm from Rocky River (west side).
[/b]
I am in Lakewood! Right next to you! Check out Coast2Coast6.com

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd invest in soldering the connections when you have time (take it from me, I got hell from a dealership about those scotch locks :p). I still have to get mine reinstalled.
[/b]
The dealer gave you a hassle about that? Can you give me so additional details? I wouldn't think they would be more upset about soldering since it is more permanent. Unless you are soldering the connections somewhere else that is out of site.....is that what you did/plan to do?

·
Registered
431 Posts
The dealer gave you a hassle about that? Can you give me so additional details? I wouldn't think they would be more upset about soldering since it is more permanent. Unless you are soldering the connections somewhere else that is out of site.....is that what you did/plan to do?
[/b]
I think it would have more to do with how visible the setup is. If you use scotch locks you can still get the wires bundled up and "hidden" so they cant be detected other than seeing the "black box" or actually taking down the ECU harness.

·
Registered
981 Posts
This dealer that I went to decided that the scotch locks had bitten into the wires (cutting through them at least half way) and caused communication problems because their tech is an idiot. They also thought the black box fried my computer and thats the reason why I wasn't getting any CELs (which if my computer was bad, the car wouldn't run).

Anyway, they decided not to look at anything mechanical on my car. I took it to Park mazda of wooster, and they figured it all out real quick.

Basically what I would say is if someone gives you shit about it, tell them to f off and go somewhere else.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This dealer that I went to decided that the scotch locks had bitten into the wires (cutting through them at least half way) and caused communication problems because their tech is an idiot. They also thought the black box fried my computer and thats the reason why I wasn't getting any CELs (which if my computer was bad, the car wouldn't run).

Anyway, they decided not to look at anything mechanical on my car. I took it to Park mazda of wooster, and they figured it all out real quick.

Basically what I would say is if someone gives you shit about it, tell them to f off and go somewhere else.
[/b]
Yeah, that's what I plan on doing. Although, I find it funny that dealers are always so wuick to say you need all these repairs to your car so they can make money. They usually love warranty work as well since they can charge all that back to corporate. Why in the world would they turn down warranty work on a car just because it is modified.....it is essentially their loss for not working on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
The BBQ Chicken Madness
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing