Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sony Ericsson W600i
This one is just sweet. It's got a few bells and whistles. I can listen to music with the headphones that are provided. The talktime is amazing, along with the stand-by time. E-mail accessible. and it has a video recorder.

Cingular 2125
This one accesses e-mail AND the internet. It has Windows Mobile which allows me to do so many things. I can listen to songs and watch movies with Windows Media Player. There's a sync connector, which I would probably never use. It has a camera and video recorder, also. This one would also be great for my traveling and being away from home. It would help me keep in touch via e-mail and internet, even instant messaging.

I'm leaning more towards the Cingular 2125, but I am wanting other people's opinion. I am supposed to go get this tomorrow since my gay V551 has to be replaced for about the 5th time now. I'm tired of crappy phones, so I'm going to splurge a little. (okay, a lot :D)

So what do you guys and girls think? Do any of you have either one of these phones?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't have either one, but I do have a Pocket PC OS device I've been running around with for a couple of years.

First of all, the Cingular 2125 has "Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone Edition" and I've heard that that's waaaaay different than the Windows Pocket PC OS. It's like a stripped-down version. Also, how stable is your desktop PC? Ever had a Windows program crash? lol.. Honestly, my Pocket PC does a lot of cool things (music, storage, Excel docs on the go, etc), but the one thing I can count on is that it also crashes... allot! Personally, I'd never trust Microsoft to run my phone, because I NEED it to do business. The last thing I want is to have my stinking phone crash.

My next phone will undoubtedly be a Palm OS phone, no more Pocket PC for me.. I'm just not sure which model yet.

I say save the $100 difference and get the Sony Ericson. It looks smaller, battery life is always a good thing for phones, and if you'll not be using the sync base, you'll probably never install anything handy on the Windows Mobile Smartphone device to make it wortht he price.

^ My $0.02.

Both are pretty sweet, tho. Looks like you'll have a killer phone either way.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was just very interested in the internet option.

as for windows on my PC, it's never crashed on me before. in fact, my computer itself has never crashed...or the one at work for that matter. i've had good experiences with Windows.

so you say go with a palm, huh? never really liked the idea of the large size.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Get whatever the hell you want. A phone is a phone. Whatever happened to using a phone to CALL people and that was it? I hate these trendy new phones that check your E-Mail, cook your dinner, and drive you to work now (sarcasm....).

Meh..I'm just bitter today. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry your bitter.

but it's either this phone or a laptop, as i travel a LOT with work. i can watch movies, listen to downloadable music, check e-mail, browse the net, and wipe my ass. :)

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I have the w600i, just got it the other day actually. It's really nice man, it's got a few things that I MUST have in a phone. Speakerphone, very nice color screen, ringers that ring and vibrate at th same time, and the loudest ring volume I've ever heard on a phone. The FM radio works really well too, if you can stand to listen to regular radio.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what's the video quality like, Buckeye? i still haven't decided. i'm going up there on my lunch break and i will stare and compare with them side by side. the W600i looks freagin awesome, much better than the 2125. but the 2125 has MUCH more functionality than the Ericsson.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I haven't had a chance to take a video, or a picture, for that matter. In fact, the first one I got (new in box from Ebay) had a problem with the ear speaker. All that shit it does, and I couldn't hear people when they called!!! :D Cingular was great about it though and sent me a replacement under their warranty program free of charge. All the features I've used so far are cool as hell (MP3, radio, bluetooth, infared, cool swiveler) but I've not used the camera yet. I'm hosting a bachelor party this weekend, maybe I'll get some pics and vid there :D :D

I'm telling you, the ringer volume is rediculous on this phone, and that's such a big deal to me. I HATE not hearing my ringer in the car or whatnot. Battery is insane also.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Well... neither provide a clamshell flip, which is the only way to adequately protect the screen and buttons.

I look at all of these new phones, and none of them are tempting to replace my Kyocera 7135 as they all lack analog roaming (an essential safety feature in rural areas).

I'd pick the 2125 just for the PDA functions, even if it lacks the graffiti area to use it well.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the 2125 has a leather case that is included with it. that will help out with the vulnerability of the screen and keys. the W600i i would have to buy it seperately. i like the look of the rotating face for the W600i. looks big pimpin.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would say if you are considering a laptop, buy the cheap phone and get a laptop. I bought one of those thin, light AMD laptops for $750 brand new about two years ago. I still use it and can't live without it. It's not going to play any serious games, but it works fine for everything else.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's why i'm wanting the 2125, is so that i can get away from the laptop. i need a phone regardless, but if i can get one with internet access, it will save me time and lots of money. it's a whole package deal.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
While the phone technically allows you to watch movies, it's really not a practical means to do so, due to the miniscule screen size. If you wish to watch movies on the go, a laptop or portable DVD player with a real screen is a much better choice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been seriously looking at PDA-style phones too. It seems like that is the way most phones are going anyway. But the convenience of having everything in one package is really appealing - schedule, contacts, email, WiFi... I've been looking at the Sprint PPC-6700 (thanks to first_mazda). Pretty sweet pocket pc w/ Windows Mobile 5.0 (not the thinned out Smartphone version). I definitely recommend the Cingualar 2125 or even the 8125 which is pretty similar to the Sprint 6700.

While the phone technically allows you to watch movies, it's really not a practical means to do so, due to the miniscule screen size. If you wish to watch movies on the go, a laptop or portable DVD player with a real screen is a much better choice.
[/b]
Or a PSP!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just read your post about possibly getting a laptop... if you really need a portable device for business, any cheap phone with bluetooth and a capable laptop is the way to go. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000D, and I love it.

For my personal needs, I'm getting a Palm Treo 700p (due out next month) [link to photo leaked to forum]. I build and restore houses so I like that it will take photos and run Pocket Quicken and Excel to manage expenses.

As far as a video capture phone goes, I don't realy have a recomendation. I'm not that familiar with the newer "non-OS running" models.

·
Registered
47 Posts
1.3 megapixels, this camera is amazing!
[/b]
I had a Sony Ericsson V802 where I "modded" the phone's software to be the NA Sony Ericsson Z800 :D .

That phone I had about a year ago and that had a 1.3 MP camera and a bright a$$ light for pics and video and such. It took a mspro to hold my music and played videos too! The only negative was the size of this thing! It looked like a block of cheese (I had the white one) and it was heavy. Oh and one thing about the light for the camera, the leds surround the camera eye that "moves up and down" so you can point it away to avoid too much dust to accumulate in the sucker.

I havent played with the Cingular phone yet, but I am biased to SE's. Odd thing is that my current phone is a Nokia 8801. The main reason why I got this phone was because it was small, it was different, had bluetooth, its chrome, had ball bearings that are used to open and close the slider to show the keypad, which is a cool effect, and of course the A2DP. The A2DP if you are unfamiliar is to play stereo music through head phones via bluetooth. I paired this sucker to my Plantronics 590a and it freakin rocks! When I get a call the music mutes and I can take the call on the Plantronics headphones! Sorry about the ramble, its late and Im a big phone fanatic....trust me :p

The SE W600 is nice, but Im personally waiting for the SE W950. Touch screen, includes a stylus, thin profile, and 4gigs! The only drawback is the lack of camera but I have a digi. So what I cant take pics of my drunk friends! :zzz: :zzz: :laugh:

Have you decided yet? If not let us know what the outcome is!

kpjimmy
(Sorry forgot to log out and log in under my id, this is my wife's ID :p)

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I had a Sony Ericsson V802 where I "modded" the phone's software to be the NA Sony Ericsson Z800 :D .

That phone I had about a year ago and that had a 1.3 MP camera and a bright a$$ light for pics and video and such. It took a mspro to hold my music and played videos too! The only negative was the size of this thing! It looked like a block of cheese (I had the white one) and it was heavy. Oh and one thing about the light for the camera, the leds surround the camera eye that "moves up and down" so you can point it away to avoid too much dust to accumulate in the sucker.

I havent played with the Cingular phone yet, but I am biased to SE's. Odd thing is that my current phone is a Nokia 8801. The main reason why I got this phone was because it was small, it was different, had bluetooth, its chrome, had ball bearings that are used to open and close the slider to show the keypad, which is a cool effect, and of course the A2DP. The A2DP if you are unfamiliar is to play stereo music through head phones via bluetooth. I paired this sucker to my Plantronics 590a and it freakin rocks! When I get a call the music mutes and I can take the call on the Plantronics headphones! Sorry about the ramble, its late and Im a big phone fanatic....trust me :p

The SE W600 is nice, but Im personally waiting for the SE W950. Touch screen, includes a stylus, thin profile, and 4gigs! The only drawback is the lack of camera but I have a digi. So what I cant take pics of my drunk friends! :zzz: :zzz: :laugh:

Have you decided yet? If not let us know what the outcome is!

kpjimmy
(Sorry forgot to log out and log in under my id, this is my wife's ID :p)
[/b]
:wstupid:

Yea thats me LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
pololance6i
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing