Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
After months of research, I'm nearly ready to replace my aging '90 Nissan 240SX. I'm not a drifter, just a regular driver who loves to drive stick, but also likes his amenities.

I'd originally wanted a Lexus SC300, but they stopped making the mtx in '97. Too old. Can't afford a 2-door Inifiniti G35, mtx. Like the Lexus IS300, but not the premium gas it takes. Loved driving the S2000, but not practical in the snow here (+ no backseat) and has next to NO storage space. (Great weekend fun car; doesn't seem to make much sense for daily driver, IMO.)

I drove a Mazda6 and first loved the headroom. At 6'3", even the sunroof didn't bother me! Don't like four doors, FWD, and that awful silver center console. DO love the telescoping steering wheel, regular gas, similar mileage to what I get now. Don't like the red instruments lights and too-high armrest for shifting. Do like the storage space and trunk. HATE the huge turning radius. LOVE the giddyup in 1st and 2nd gear. I think my 4-cyl 240SX has more pull in 3rd and up but I'm also not used to driving in the high-revs. Body-roll seemed acceptable. Definitely had fun driving the 6s!

So, I think I'm settling on a blue Mazda6s with black leather, mtx, sport package, Bose upgrade (and the heated mirrors would be nice in Ohio). I would have preferred a RWD, 2-door car of some type, but there just AREN'T any that are reliable and in my price range ($13-$15K). After looking through this site and all the mods I could do to spruce it up a bit, I think I could be quite happy with a Mazda6 like this, probably an '03 or '04.

After owning nothing but Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas, I expect good reliability. I trust the BACK of the Consumer Reports where they simply compile all of the returned surveys of owners and color-code them. Yes, I realize that only a few points can separate a black from a red. But I'm truly scared of the inconsistent reports of Mazda6 reliability that I've read there and several other sites on the web. Some owners have NO problems; others have tons of problems. Any idea why?

I do appreciate all opinions and feedback! Months of research ends here!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My .02 is go for it. I know alot of folks that have owned Mazda's for years, and have had few issues. Of course I think the problems will show up more online, and people that are happy with their cars aren't as verbal (not as much to complain about...).
I've been extremely happy with my 06 s (even though I picked up the atx and I haven't had an auto for 10 years...). The build, fit and finish, and style are what sold me on the 6.
Good luck, and have fun.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Consumer Reports is pretty worthless as a guide for reliability. Some people thing a loose ashtray is something that makes the car unreliable and report it and CR treats it the same as a blown engine.
:)

That's not to say some people haven't had issues with the car. But you can say that with ANY car.

I've had my '04 M6 for 2.5 years and have not had any problems I would say made it unreliable. It's a solid, well built car and with the exception of a couple of minor issues (both taken care of quickly under warranty by my dealer) has been trouble free.

·
Registered
978 Posts
had my 6s for a around 8 months now and nothing major to report (had a rattle and blown speaker...). if you look at the differences at what the different sybols mean in percentage terms in the back of consumer reports, you will see that the difference between a average and red dot are only a few percentage points. in other words, chance are you will be very happy with a 6s. but that's not to say that there aren't some areas to keep an eye on. for example the pcv valve can clog and result in engine destruction...there are a couple things you can do about this...install another pcv valve and/or check your oil weekly religiously. another thing that has gotten a few reports is the throttle body, where the call will stall. there is a tsb (known issue by mazda) so if you have some of these probs, it will be under warranty assuming the car you buy qualifies. there have been some clutch issues (also known by mazda) where there will be some stuttering between 1st and 2nd (bit more harsh than just missing a shift), especially when the car is cold.

all this is not meant to scare you. most cars models will have their issues after a few years if you look hard enough. a site like this, where we all share our experiences, will tend to overemphasize problems. but as a buyer, it's good to know what to look for. knowing what I know now, i would still make the same decision and buy a 6s. braking is awesome, cornering is very good, and it has plenty of pickup.

bottom line: if you get one, chances are greatly in your favor that you won't have significant probs. good luck in your search!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
If you're looking to spend 13-15k you prolly could get a base 4cyl sedan used with under 25k miles on it. There's a website called www.getauto.com where you can find some good deals at dealerships in your area by zip code. Something to think about...

I think the 6 is a pretty good car. I've always heard the V6 has worse reliabilty than the 4cyl, and that was one of the reasons for choosing the 4 in mine. Also, with automatic, there didn't seem to be much difference in acceleration to warrant spending almost $2k more. If you're looking for an MTX, it's gonna be even cheaper still, but may be more difficult to locate a 4cyl equipped this way.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Consumer Reports is pretty worthless as a guide for reliability. Some people thing a loose ashtray is something that makes the car unreliable and report it and CR treats it the same as a blown engine.
:)

That's not to say some people haven't had issues with the car. But you can say that with ANY car.

I've had my '04 M6 for 2.5 years and have not had any problems I would say made it unreliable. It's a solid, well built car and with the exception of a couple of minor issues (both taken care of quickly under warranty by my dealer) has been trouble free.
[/b]

Are there significant reasons why a 2004 would be better than a 2003? Were any serious flaws corrected, etc?

Do both the base and Bose audio systems have the multi-CD changer as stock?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Well, we have 2 6's both V6's, my wife has a 2004 5-door and I have a 2004 Sportwagon, no issues to date. We have a few other Clevelanders that drive 6's and they have had no issues, at all. I am 6'5" and I know a few other tall 6 owners, here in Ohio.

MzBuckeye and Mad Mardigan are 6'3" or over, they have had no issue with their cars.

·
Registered
145 Posts
hmm.. that's still alot of don't likes...

personally I LOVE my 6! I have a 2004 for 2.5yrs and so far.. NO PROBLEM at all. The only thing that annoys the heck outta me is the squeakin' sound during winter when the car is still cold... other than that, the car is absolutely amazing! (or it might just be me coming from a piece of crap car to the 6... )

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, we have 2 6's both V6's, my wife has a 2004 5-door and I have a 2004 Sportwagon, no issues to date. We have a few other Clevelanders that drive 6's and they have had no issues, at all. I am 6'5" and I know a few other tall 6 owners, here in Ohio.

MzBuckeye and Mad Mardigan are 6'3" or over, they have had no issue with their cars.
[/b]

NICE. I live in the Cleveladn Area too. I just picked mine up last Thursday! Yeah No issues but only one week and 450 miles. haha. But yeah I am 6'3-4" and no issues with the roof.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ha, that's funny. This car is definitely forgiving for tall folks.
I am 6'6" and still have some head and leg room.
Thank you Mazda :D .

·
Registered
133 Posts
:yesnod: Yup, it's a great car. I've had my 2004 Mazda6 for over two years with ZERO problems. I have approximately 13,500 miles, so not long term. First, I LOVE the appearance and sleek look. It's a great, comfortable car for driving around town or better yet, long distance. I have the four cylinder and it is a little short on power. I specifically wanted the four cylinder, so I deserve what I got. With questionable gas prices, I'd still get the four cylinder. Good luck on your decision. If you choose the Mazda6, I think you'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
well make sure the 6 meets your requirements. when i was in the market i wanted a midsize sedan that was sporty and had a manual transmission. the camry didn't offer a manual tranny with the v6 and the handling is no where near as good as the 6. the altima has a nice v6 mated to a manual but it requires premium gas and the handling again wasn't as good as the 6. the honda accord does have a sweet 6 speed manual with the v6 but you have to get the ex model (fully loaded) just to get the engine and transmission combo. in the end it would have cost around $30,000 ..... in this case the 6 was cheaper and still felt sportier. overall i am very happy with my purchase, my only regret if any is that i have a 6s and not the speed6. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well make sure the 6 meets your requirements. when i was in the market i wanted a midsize sedan that was sporty and had a manual transmission. the camry didn't offer a manual tranny with the v6 and the handling is no where near as good as the 6. the altima has a nice v6 mated to a manual but it requires premium gas and the handling again wasn't as good as the 6. the honda accord does have a sweet 6 speed manual with the v6 but you have to get the ex model (fully loaded) just to get the engine and transmission combo. in the end it would have cost around $30,000 ..... in this case the 6 was cheaper and still felt sportier. overall i am very happy with my purchase, my only regret if any is that i have a 6s and not the speed6. :)
[/b]
Thank you for the message! This is part of what I went through. I started out SERIOUSLY wanting a Lexus SC300, but they stopped making manuals in '97! Too old! The Lexus IS300 is hot and a serious competitor to the Mazda6 in my mind, but low mileage combined with premium gas forced me to give up on it. And the driving position isn't as good as the Mazda6, which is just amazing. At 6'3", I often have to give up on various models, especially if they have sunroofs. I'm stunned that the 6 comes with telescoping steering wheel STANDARD. It makes ALL the difference! Accord and Camry are too dull for me, though nice cars. If it wasn't for the gas, the IS300 would make the 6 a tougher choice, but as things are likely to stay (gas prices), I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the 6, even after reading the thread about "What's gone wrong with your Mazda6". ;)

Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts