Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm cleaning my wheels for a local meet when I discover a bulge in the sidewall of my right front tire.
The question I ask is: How dangerous is this?

[attachment=18997:Bulge_002.jpg]

The angle of the shot

I drove to Discount Tire where I bought my tires from only to find out it is closed on Sundays. :swearin: I know I have to get this replaced or looked at, but can it make one 80-mile round-trip commute to work? I had to work from home one day last week because my left front tire disintegrated. My boss was giving me a hard time for working at home for ONE DAY so I'd like to avoid that if possible since this is just a week later. I'm kinda freaking out about this because I don't want to be changing a tire at 7:30AM in 30 degree weather again. However, if it's safe to drive on under 70 mph for one day, I will try to do that.

Damn it...I should have bought Toyos. I have around 5,000 miles on these four tires and already had to replace one and now I'm having problems with another. How do these bulges happen? The rim looks fine so I don't think (or remember) hitting anything that hard. I had DT repressurize all my tires last week when I replaced my tire so could it be way overinflated?

p.s. - I like the irony of how the bulge appears on the word "safety ".

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
What happened? Did you hit a curb or something?

I'm sorry to say this but I don't think it is safe for you to keep driving with that tire. I think you better replace it ASAP at least with the spare if the store is closed.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
lol... i had this same thing happen to me... lol what profile are your tires?

anywho... just be careful... with me... the buldge popped and my tire just tore up on the highway...

i would take it into Discount Tire ASAP!

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I am joining the choir already singing above. It is not safe to drive. I would change to your spare tire now. And don't make the wrong choice of risking your life to please your boss. Send him a picture of the tire via e-mail if you wish. I would think any boss who is worth their salt would understand your situation.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the responses. I am absolutely livid about the timing of all this but at least I found the problem before it got worse. I am no longer recommending Kumho ASX's anymore. I don't think I hit anything (rim looks fine) and this is my second under-5,000 mile tire that has gone bad on me in ONE WEEK.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
just to add to my story... i was lucky that my tire blew while i was on a straight on a highway... coz' even then the wheel went outta control...

just be careful... just like indy said... it's not worth risking your life of your car and yourself to kiss the boss' ass...

spare it or get it looked at asap!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
You can hit something and not have your wheels damaged. I hit a cavern two weeks ago and had to replace my front left tire. It was hard enough to break the bead and cause a bulge in the sidewall but not enough to damage the wheel (thankfully!). But I didn't realize the problem until the next morning when I felt the flat as I was pulling out of my development.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Bad quality control on the production line. The tire was bad before you ever put it on your wheel.[/b]
'
not always...i got one after hitting a chunk of concrete on the highway

·
Registered
120 Posts
"How do these bulges happen?" - I can think of a reason---- They're 225/40-18's driven on Colorado roads in winter...
Lo Profiles look cool, but they do not like pot holes. Yet another reason for 17 inch winter wheels...

·
Registered
151 Posts
"How do these bulges happen?" - I can think of a reason---- They're 225/40-18's driven on Colorado roads in winter...
Lo Profiles look cool, but they do not like pot holes. Yet another reason for 17 inch winter wheels...[/b]
better the tires than the rims. :drive:

·
Registered
477 Posts
A friend of mine had the exact same problem with Kumho's on his Volvo. He would blow one a week. He had the protection plan from Discount Tire. After bulging about 10 of them, they gave him a full set of Yokohamas for free just so they could stop replacing the tires under warranty.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A friend of mine had the exact same problem with Kumho's on his Volvo. He would blow one a week. He had the protection plan from Discount Tire. After bulging about 10 of them, they gave him a full set of Yokohamas for free just so they could stop replacing the tires under warranty.[/b]
LOL, I don't have the patience to go through 10 (hey, I'm a fifth of the way there though) but I will keep that in mind. I do love their replacement warranty though, smartest thing I've done in awhile.

I just can't stand being on a spare though, and with these two incidents happening so soon to each other, it's got me paranoid about every little thing that feels weird while driving.

·
Registered
508 Posts
A friend of mine had the exact same problem with Kumho's on his Volvo. He would blow one a week. He had the protection plan from Discount Tire. After bulging about 10 of them, they gave him a full set of Yokohamas for free just so they could stop replacing the tires under warranty.[/b]
Wow...I guess you really do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had same thing in summer. But I was smart enough to buy 6 tires...
So I just reccomend to buy 5-6 tires and store spare at garage. For me it is required because this tires is pre-order only and 3-4 weeks of waiting.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I had a tire bulge from hitting a curb when I had my stock Potenzas on, the only problem Ive had with my Kumho's was tearing the sidewall on one when a pothole decided it wanted to eat my car. Other than that I still have the majority of my tread left going on 5K miles and no other problems.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Bad quality control on the production line. The tire was bad before you ever put it on your wheel.[/b]
what.......nobody can see the problem from the provided picture???????

the same thing that damaged the wheel (in case you didn't notice that the rim was bent) also damaged the tire. its not a manufacturing defect, its simple impact damage. it appears you might have broken one of the sidewall belts, which makes the tire extremely unsafe to drive on.

replace the wheel and the tire, and be more careful next time.

·
Registered
641 Posts
what.......nobody can see the problem from the provided picture???????

the same thing that damaged the wheel (in case you didn't notice that the rim was bent) also damaged the tire. its not a manufacturing defect, its simple impact damage. it appears you might have broken one of the sidewall belts, which makes the tire extremely unsafe to drive on.

replace the wheel and the tire, and be more careful next time.[/b]
I'm looking at the pic right now, I'm not seeing the bent rim. I do see what appears to be some scrapes or dirt.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Not likely. If it was defective, it would have shown up as soon as the tire was inflated. This is most likely impact damage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.