Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

My wife and I will be coming to South Carolina this summer (specifically Columbia) to visit my sister-in-law. She is there going to school (gooooooo Cocks...), so she really doesn't know all that much about the coast.

We are looking for a nice place to spend a day or two. We are looking for someplace non-touristy but with a nice beach. It would be really nice if there was surfing, but not a necessity.

I know I could go to all the travel websites, but those will all suggest touristy areas (ie: Myrtle Beach). The sister-in-law is asking around, but I figured this place would be good too.

So, if any locals are willing to spill the beans on a nice place to go, I would totally appreciate it. I have no problem driving 2.5-3.5 hours from Columbia to get to a nice place.

BTW, we are from Alberta, so the extent of our ocean experience is limited. (I have been to the ocean two times my whole life, Atlantic once and Pacific once). That is why we will be braving the 100 degree temperature to sit on the beach.

But I rock the Rockies... :nana:

Anyways, thanks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
dude come down to charleston! its only about an hour and 45 minutes away and folly beach is great! plus its always good to meet fellow 6'ers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, there are two main beaches, Myrtle Beach which is baout 3 hours from columbia, and Charleston, which is about 1.5 hours from columbia (100 miles, depending on how fast you drive, it's all interstate).

As spiker said, I'd come to Charleston, You can either stay in Mount Pleasant (about 5-10 mins from Isle of Palms beach)

Or stay out on James Island (About 10-15 mins from Folly Beach).

Isle of Palms is like, the rich mans beach, where as Folly Beach is the college student beach :X.

Both are extremly packed.

Or, if you wanted to, you could stay in historic downtown, and be about 15 mins from both. and 100 miles from Columbia, SC.

I'll find you some links later, I need to work on my paper, and study some history, I'll post up some hotel links for ya in like a day or so.

:D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dude come down to charleston! its only about an hour and 45 minutes away and folly beach is great! plus its always good to meet fellow 6'ers.
[/b]

Well, there are two main beaches, Myrtle Beach which is baout 3 hours from columbia, and Charleston, which is about 1.5 hours from columbia (100 miles, depending on how fast you drive, it's all interstate).

As spiker said, I'd come to Charleston, You can either stay in Mount Pleasant (about 5-10 mins from Isle of Palms beach)

Or stay out on James Island (About 10-15 mins from Folly Beach).

Isle of Palms is like, the rich mans beach, where as Folly Beach is the college student beach :X.
Both are extremly packed.

Or, if you wanted to, you could stay in historic downtown, and be about 15 mins from both. and 100 miles from Columbia, SC.

I'll find you some links later, I need to work on my paper, and study some history, I'll post up some hotel links for ya in like a day or so.

:D
[/b]
Thanks for the replies guys.

We will be staying in Charleston for the first two days we are there. We thought about staying in one of those fancy historic hotels, but figured we would save the cash and stay in something cheaper. I still don't know where we will stay, but I have a travel agent friend who will book us into something decent.

So, you say Folly Beach and Isle of Palms are packed. How about Edisto Island, are there any good beaches around there. We are trying to avoid the commercial areas (Myrtle Beach), but I am sure we can handle a busy beach.

In your opinion, how busy would you say it gets on a hot August weekday afternoon? Really busy cause the beach is the only place to be, or not busy because it is friggin hot?

Anyways, thanks again.

Koinu, do not worry about hotel links (especially with school work to do), but thanks anyways.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I would suggest Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms, they have some excellent houses there and it is gated, so you will bypass a lot of the tourist-ness. Wild Dunes also has an excellent tennis center, workout place, and has miles of sidewalk should you want to bike or walk in the morning.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I personally havn't been to Edisto Island, but any beach you goto in the summer will be PACKED, no matter where you go. Frankly, Look at the Places in North Charleston (About 15 mins from downtown, and about 20ish to the beach depending on traffic). These will be your best prices because of it being far away from anything "beachy". Also, that will put you about 20 miles closer to Columbia.

(This is my hometown really, so I know alot about this area (Lived in Camden, SC (about 20 miles from Columbia) for 7 years, then here for 3 so...)

Anyway, I won't be around to host a 6 meet this summer because I'm moving back to VA to stay for good.

When I say extremly packed, I mean decent size, it's going to be hard to find a parking space at any public beach, several of us park in people's yards (w/o them knowning :X). I'm used to VA Beach where we live on the 2nd row (my parents own a house there), and it's a private beach for people that are staying in that area (the public beach is about 5 miles to thenorth), so that's what I'm normally used to. And by "Extremly" packed, I don't mean you won' thave space to lay out.

But yea, I can hook you up with links later on friday night when I get off work. But, good luck, and enjoy South Carolina, there are alot of things to do here in Charleston (From Historic Tours, Ghost Tours, Great Food, beaches, Fine College women (errr, maybe I shouldn't say that? :p), Plenty of places to drink downtown.

It's a nice place, I'm sure you'll have fun :D

And about surfing, people try to surf here, but, not really, if you want to surf, I'd suggest going to Folly Beach (the college kids beach), because that's not as touristy, and there are alot of surf shops in the area.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...But, good luck, and enjoy South Carolina, there are alot of things to do here in Charleston (From Historic Tours, Ghost Tours, Great Food, beaches, Fine College women (errr, maybe I shouldn't say that? :p), Plenty of places to drink downtown.

It's a nice place, I'm sure you'll have fun :D
And about surfing, people try to surf here, but, not really, if you want to surf, I'd suggest going to Folly Beach (the college kids beach), because that's not as touristy, and there are alot of surf shops in the area.
[/b]
I am pretty excited to come down to check it out. It will be a whole lot different than up here.

I have only been surfing once at Long Beach on Vancouver Island, so it would be cool to surf the other coast.

Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would also suggest Kiawah (sp?) Island if you want to avoid the touristy stuff. Last time I was there (probably 15-20 years ago, so take this with a grain of salt), it was very non-commercial and laid back.

I second the recommendation of Wild Dunes.

Later,

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only sad part about my trip is that we will be flying (so no Mazda :(). I think I will end up drving a Cobalt or a G6.

Stupid rental cars... it turns out Enterprise is one of the only companies that doesn't screw you because you are 24. I am stuck with their choices.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You wouldn't want to drive here anyway.

I'd fly into one of two places, Charleston or Columbia.

If you need any help with directions or what not just keep me updated. Sadly I won't be here when you come, but I can still help.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You wouldn't want to drive here anyway.

I'd fly into one of two places, Charleston or Columbia.

If you need any help with directions or what not just keep me updated. Sadly I won't be here when you come, but I can still help.
[/b]

Will do, thanks.

BTW, We are flying into Columbia.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holy crap, I forgot I even made this thread after about April. I didn't forget the advice though.

So, it turns out we made it into Columbia the day after all the terrorist attacks were averted in London. It sure made flying fun! No liquids, no gels, no nothing.

Thanks to everybody who gave me suggestions on what to do and where to stay. This is what we did:

Day 1 - Saturday August 12: Fly into Columbia, stay overnight in hotel in Columbia
Day 2: Pick up rental Neon (POS) and drive to Charleston - check out Charleston (stayed Downtown in Elliott House Inn)
Day 3: Day in Charleston - typical tourist stuff. Beautiful city. Go to Magnolia Plantation (pretty cool)
Day 4: Drive to Columbia using highway 176 (nice drive for sure) to meet little sister
Day 5: Folly Beach with little sister. It was not busy at all and I got sunburned to shit.
Day 6: Check out University of SC, State Capitol, etc.
Day 7: Drive to Congaree National Park - really neat (I saw a blue gecko thing)
Day 8: Hang out in Columbia, do some shopping, etc.
Day 9 - Sunday August 20: Return shitty Neon and fly home.

That was my trip in a tiny little nutshell. Obviously we did and exprienced may more that I have put down here. I just wanted to let everyone who responded know that I took some of your advice and the trip turned out awesome. So thank you all very much.

By the way, you have a very beautiful State (at least the parts I saw).

I will post up some pictures when I get home if anybody wants (or cares).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
jaybag
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing