Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys....I'm in trouble! I am in the process of putting my car back to stock to get it ready to trade in, and one of the items I need to take off is the CP-E MAFci intake. So late this afternoon I started on the project, and now I can't get the car to start! Here is the course of events:

1) I disconnected the positive terminal of the battery.

2) I removed the CP-E intake pipe from the engine bay, disconnecting the MAF sensor wire plug, the two hoses that attach near the top of the pipe, and unscrewing the green valve thing (not sure what that is) from the heat shield plate.

3) Then I began installing all of the stock airbox components, but here is where I hit a snag. I fit the accordian tube to the throttle body and connected the 90 degree plastic elbow hose connector into the top of the tube (this is the 90 degree connector that has two tabs 180 degrees apart so that it fits snug into the tube). So after I made that connection, I was trying to rearrange some of the tubes so that I could refit my engine cover, and then SNAP! that 90 degree plastic POS hose connector broke right at the elbow. I wasn't able to glue it back together, so I went to Pep Boys (it was 7:30 PM at this point) and found the closest thing I could find, which was a 'T' connector where the correct 3/8" size I needed were at 90 deg. from each other, and the other part of the 'T' was a 1/4" opening. So I also bought some 3/16" rubber hose caps to seal off that 1/4" opening. I got back to the car and re-fit the hose with the makeshift 'elbow' that I rigged up. I made sure everything had a tight fit and that there was no leak path.

4) I proceeded to install the airbox and connect the necessary hoss, MAF sensor and plug, and green valve thing and plug (still don't know what that is).

5) I went under the dash and pulled out the connections from the MAF black box to the Scotchlock taps in the ECU wire harness. Once I had all the connections removed, I took out the MAF box.

NOTE: I left the Scotchlock tap/connectors on the ECU harness wires because a) I bet they're a bitch to get off, and b) they shouldn't affact anything by being there when the car is back to stock.

6) Then, I took the caps off the ends of the severed MAF wire (the one you cut during installation) and stripped a little bit of each wire end to I could re-connect them. I wound the two exposed ends tight together and wrapped them up tight in electrical tape. I plan to solder them eventually, but I wanted to wrap them up to make a 'test' connection.

7) Reconnected the battery, got back in the car and turned the key. All the dash lights come on (and I mean ALL the dash lights) and I hear CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK and the lights flash with every CLICK. I let go of the key, then I try again....same CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. Nothing is happening, the car won't start, and all I get is this click click thing. I called Anthony at CP-E and he said it is a bad connection in the MAF wire so I made sure the wire ends were wrapped together and tried again. Same result.

SOOOOOO, my car is sitting useless in my girlfriend's parents' garage due to what I think is one lousy little wire. Can anyone give me some insight as to what I could have done wrong in the reinstallation to cause this problem? Could it have something to do with the improvised hose connection I used when the stock elbow broke? Please help! I need to be able to drive to work on Monday!

Thanks a million in advance,
Steve

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It's definately an electrical problem:

-Check for a Blown fuse, thats my immediate assumption (More precisely the ENG IGN fuse in the engine bay, that caused me a problem before with this kit, otherwise check them ALL)
-Check the wires of the actual MAF sensor to make sure they are secure
-Re-check all the scotchlocks to make sure a wire has not been cut

Hope it gets figured out.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definately an electrical problem:

-Check for a Blown fuse, thats my immediate assumption (More precisely the ENG IGN fuse in the engine bay, that caused me a problem before with this kit, otherwise check them ALL)
-Check the wires of the actual MAF sensor to make sure they are secure
-Re-check all the scotchlocks to make sure a wire has not been cut

Hope it gets figured out.
[/b]
Thanks for the reply. Regarding the ENG IGN fuse (ignition, I'm guessing) do you know what caused yours to blow? And once you replaced the fuse, what kept it from blowing again?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Mine was from checking the voltages with a multi-meter, and grounding the black lead AFTER touching the red lead to the hot wire. It was just a stupid mistake that taught me a good lesson. My best advice is to disconnect the battery, check your fuses, if one is blown, replace it. Then solder that cut MAF wire together, reconnect the battery. Thats going to be the safest route, and shouldn't cause the fuse to blow again, assuming thats what this is right now.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I'll give that a try in the morning. By the way, I just want to confirm that the ENG IGN fuse is in the engine bay fuse box, and is that a 10A or 15A fuse do you recall? I am asking only because my car is in a remote location and if I need to I will get a ride to the auto parts store on my way. Thanka again, I really appreciate it..

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I believe it was a 15A fuse, and yes its in the engine bay. You can always swap out a fuse from an accessory of the same amperage (Wiper Blades/Defroster..etc) if you don't have the right amperage fuse on hand just to get the car to run to the auto store.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great man thanks for the advice...I'll post up tomorrow and let you know what happens.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
No problem. I hope thats what it is, otherwise someone else is going to have to help you out, and you'll be out a few bucks for fuses. Nothing else would really make sense though, as the connector thats broke would still allow the car to turn over and run. Its either a fuse or the bad connection as far as I can see. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yeah the car will still turn over if its anything on the intake side. You should definately make sure one of the ecu wires you taped into isnt cut. If i recall, somone said the car will not start if the MAF wire is cut, so i would guess it is that, though i cant imagine that even if you connected it right it still doesnt work. Make sure that the piece of wire you are connecting it with isn't the cause by being too thin or what have you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Instead of pulling the end caps off of the wire that you cut, just leave the scotch locks on both ends. Then take a short piece of wire and connect two of the other connectors to it. Now you have a little jumper wire if you will to connect the wire that you previously cut.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE:

Well the CLICK CLICK CLICK thing was the starter trying to turn the engine over, but not having enough juice from the battery. We jumpered to my girlfriend's dad's pickup truck battery and the car started. I went out and drove around for a while, then came back and shut the car off. Half hour later, car won't start again. So we jumped it again and I went to PepBoys to have them put in a new battery. I have since driven the car, turned it off, and started it again and everything seems to be ok. I am hoping it was just the battery, and not the alternator or some shitty problem like that. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

But for now, everything is running properly, and no problems with the stock intake (other than it sucks!).

Thanks for all the help guys!
-steve

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
You said you only twisted the cut ire together, that may not be enough and you should always firmly secure wires like that together.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You said you only twisted the cut ire together, that may not be enough and you should always firmly secure wires like that together.
[/b]
Yup, I agree 100%. Tomorrow I am going to wrap that connection real tight with electrical tape, then crimp a cap on over top of it. For me, that connection will be cleaner than trying to solder it. I am envisioning small silver drips on my floor mat and dead pedal...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, I forgot to mention all of the slag that would be found on my forearm...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think this whole ordeal is due to the car not wanting to let go of its owner. :)
[/b]
haha, very well could be. But I'm sure there will be no looking back once I get the Z (actually, there will be no looking back because there will be no rearward visibility :laugh: )

:drive:

zoom zoom bitches

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
8 Participants
sry110
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing