Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my clutch pedal TSB done may 2009. Then I started to experience clutch slippage in gears 3,4,5,6 once i had been driving for more than 20 minutes. It wasn't complete clutch failure but when i applied throttle the engine would rev up and the tach would hit the limiter but the car wouldn't accelerate.

So i had my clutch kit assembly replaced (apparently not everything was replaced) in July 2009. Car had only 60k kilometres on it!

Fast forward to 3 months ago and 20k kilometres later. Clutch is still slipping and exhibiting the same symptoms: gears 3,4,5,6 after driving for more than 20 minutes. I would've probably noticed it sooner but the wife was using the car from July to March with 10 minute one way commutes. Dealer says it's not a warranty issue because it's a wear and tear item. I argued they replaced something that didn't need to be replaced and I still have the same problem.

Any ideas what could be the culprit? My dealer doesn't seem to have any ideas. At the moment it sounds like they prescribed a new clutch when i probably didn't even need a new one!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Unfortunately your dealer is an idiot. The clutch pedal pushrod to the clutch master cylinder is likely miss-adjusted (too long) and as such the clutch isn't allowed to fully engage and it slips. If the idiot dealer actually replaced the clutch disc/pressure plate fairly recently, you MAY can save it by adjusting everything properly, but likely not....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forzda 1, you're suggestion is exactly what i mentioned to them. They completely dismissed it. Is this something i can do myself?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Forzda 1, you're suggestion is exactly what i mentioned to them. They completely dismissed it. Is this something i can do myself?
YES! Get under the dash with a flashlight and view the rod where it contacts the master cylinder piston. Teh rod should rotate freely with your fingers and actually have a few thousandths of free space between the rod end and the piston seat. You can adjust the effective length of the rod via the jam-nut...

The FIRST thing you must do is set the pedal height stop bolt to where you want the pedal in relation to the floor and brake pedal, then adjust the push rod as stated above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i'll want to shorten the rod? Should i be doing this if i have ask what a piston seat is? How do i know when it's in the right place or is it more of a trial and error thing?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
so i'll want to shorten the rod? Should i be doing this if i have ask what a piston seat is? How do i know when it's in the right place or is it more of a trial and error thing?
Well, I can't really say if you "should" be doing it, but you "can" do it... LOL

When you get under the dash and actually see the setup it should become obvious, but it may not. The pushrod "pushes" on the piston which has a small cup-like depression (the "seat") in it to keep the pushrod from falling out while allowing the small amount of free-play required.

Go look at it and then come back with questions on anything that isn't clear...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay i followed your advice and made the adjustment. I found this how to write up which was great:
How-To: MS6 Clutch adjustment - Mazda Forums

My drive into work was actually great. The car is pulling like it should now.
But i have a few questions:
should i be able to see a small gap between the clutch cylinder actuation rod and the piston? Or should i hear or feel a gap? I turned the screw CW a couple of times and it's definitely shorter but i still feel tension as soon as i depress the clutch.

if i turned the screw rod CW then the locknut should've tighten as well right? I should only need to adjust the lock nut if i lengthen the rod right?

Other than the fact that the clutch isn't slipping is there any other indicators that it's been setup correct or incorrectly?

Before i took the car back to the dealer on monday only the clutch was slipping. When i got it back on tuesday the car smelled like the clutch was burning. I can still smell the clutch but it's less. What could they have done to make the clutch smell like that? I suspect they tried to drive the stink out of the car to recreate the slipping in as short a time as possible. Will this smell go away?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Okay i followed your advice and made the adjustment. I found this how to write up which was great:
How-To: MS6 Clutch adjustment - Mazda Forums

My drive into work was actually great. The car is pulling like it should now.
But i have a few questions:
should i be able to see a small gap between the clutch cylinder actuation rod and the piston? Or should i hear or feel a gap? I turned the screw CW a couple of times and it's definitely shorter but i still feel tension as soon as i depress the clutch.

if i turned the screw rod CW then the locknut should've tighten as well right? I should only need to adjust the lock nut if i lengthen the rod right?

Other than the fact that the clutch isn't slipping is there any other indicators that it's been setup correct or incorrectly?

Before i took the car back to the dealer on monday only the clutch was slipping. When i got it back on tuesday the car smelled like the clutch was burning. I can still smell the clutch but it's less. What could they have done to make the clutch smell like that? I suspect they tried to drive the stink out of the car to recreate the slipping in as short a time as possible. Will this smell go away?

Thanks
I knew you could do it! When the rod is adjusted correctly you should be able to rotate it with gentle finger tip movement and it should move "around" in the cup very slightly. The intent is that it must NOT apply any pressure to the piston unless you're pushing on the pedal.

As for the smell, it sounds like the idiots at the dealer indeed slipped it terribly. The smell will dissipate after several days or "so".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts