Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys...

Here is the deal... I am currently working on a deal to get a 6s 5spd at a dealer here in ATL with the "s" plan. The only issue here is the fact that there are not any 5spd 6s's in yellow fully loaded as I want. There are however, some in other states. Even though my dealer has found a few (2-3) in other states, does not mean that he will be able to do a dealer trade since the 5 spd is SO hard to get. They do have the exact car on the lot that I want in the Auto. What are your opinions on what I should do here? My 2000 prelude is not getting any newer and I will continue to put tons of miles on it the next 3-4 months if I order one... so I really don't want to lose more value in my current car. They have offered me a fair price on trade-in and I do not want to pass that deal up. That having been said, if they are not able to get me one of the 6's that I want from another out of state dealer, should I consider getting the automatic??????? I would really appreciate anyone's opinions on this topic. Thank you for all your privious help with the "s" plan info.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: HELP!! AUTO or MANUAL 6s

you want the manual, it is worth the wait, trust me, the car is a blast to drive with one...it's the whole reason I bought the car

·
Registered
262 Posts

The car is meant to be driven with a manual tranny. The automatic is fine and dandy, but it's sluggish and really decreases the fun of driving the 6 IMO. I've test driven both and obviously had more fun with the manual than the auto.

Also, don't forget that you are spending $25,000 - $30,000 on this car so you might as well get EXACTLY what you want. You don't want to be regretting your purchase a few months down the line when 5 speeds are readily available and you're stuck with your auto.

Besides, your 2000 Prelude isn't old or falling apart (I'm assuming). I know you don't want to decrease the value by putting miles on the car, but think about it this way. Yes, by waiting you will lose a little value on your trade-in, but you'll also be putting that money toward what you really want and in essence won't be "throwing it away."

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Yeah, I'd go with the manual if that's what you want. Since you're getting the S plan price, I don't think you have alot of room to haggle. Otherwise I'd say put a deposit down on an order and ask if they can lock-in a trade value provided the condition of your prelude does not change drastically.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Replying to Topic 'HELP!! AUTO or MANUAL 6s'

No, get an AT. Don't flood the market with the MT. I want to be unique and have all the fun........ go manual...

P

·
0 Posts

how far away is the dealer that has a manual? sometimes out of state is closer than you think ... drive your car to that dealer, get a sweet trade in and drive the new 6 back ... done deal.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Fly up to go skiing in Vermont and drive back in a manual V6... The local dealer here has had a pair (gray and red) of them on the lot for a couple of months now.

I almost bought the gray, but decided I wanted AT...

·
Registered
468 Posts

5 speed all the way. drove the auto as well..just couldn't compare. i don't think i'd ever buy an auto again. well not anytime soon anways

·
Registered
34 Posts

Have to agree with the majority - I would go manual - this car is meant to be driven and not pointed down the road.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

All things equal, go manual. No question.

A small wait is worth it - you're probably gonna have the car for a long time.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Never settle for a car that you don't really want. It will bug you the entire time you own the car.

That said I have the Auto and I'm very pleased with it's performance. But I was looking for something different then most of the younger crowd here. My 6 is for long trips, day in day out, stop and go city driving. I have the Miata (manual) for days when when I want pure fun.

Would I have bought the Auto if I didn't have the Miata? ...Nope.

·
Registered
526 Posts

If you can avoid it I wouldn't settle.

That being said - I have an AT, love it to death and wouldn't trade it. That isn't this crowd's definition of a true 'enthusiast', though. So if that means something to you, you'd better wait.

I considered the MT and dismissed it. While the MT is perceived to connect you to the road better and is faster versus and AT when placed in the same hands, that generally means diddly squat in the real world.

Contrary to anything I've heard hear, the sportshift is a total blast once you've taken the time to learn it's quirks. It hardly relegates you to 'pointing' the car down the road. When you wanna jam, move it to the manual gate and have at it. When you're cruising for an extended period or are stuck in traffic, no need to row your way down the street. Move it to full auto.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by LBJay

Never settle for a car that you don't really want. It will bug you the entire time you own the car.  [/b]
That is good advice. Very good advice. Saves you a lot of money in the end.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts